Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 SBP thru spinal canal or center of the body?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

innercall

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  10:18:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I am struggling with severe sensitivity and overload issues since more than one year and it is clear to me that the energy was not circulating well inside my body.

After having stopped around 9 months ago, I decided to give a try to spinal breathing pranayama again. I did only a five cycles repetitions before doing breath meditation. The result was more energy running wild inside my body getting stuck in my head and along the front of my body (throat, heart and solar plexus).

The next day I stumbled on this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyaz...yer_embedded (look for the second part also)

It explains the 5 necessary ingredients for a safe and permanent kundali awakening. One of it is that a clear path must be cleared thru the central channel so that the kundalini activity should happen there. It is also stated that the attention should not be placed in the back of the body, following the curves of the spine but more in a straight line thru the center of the body where the Vagal nerve and all the autonomic plexus are located, just in front of the vertebras.

I know that Yogani doesn’t describe a precise path for the attention during SBP, mostly insisting on both ends of the spinal nerve. Up to now, I always placed my attention thru the spinal canal inside which is the spinal chord, following the curves of the spine. I am quite used to visualise the anatomy because I am studying osteopathy and that might well have been the problem. It put my attention mostly in the back side of my body.

After watching this video, I remembered a message of Yogani I once read on the forum where he stated that the spinal nerve was in the center of the body. I think he was replying to someone talking about energy rinsing from the back and going down on the front like in the macrocosmic orbit practice and how it was related to SBP. I did not find it back.

So after that I tried to place my attention thru a path in the center of my body in SBP and after four days, I must say that I feel more balanced, with less energy stuck in the head between the eyebrows. Also the feeling of the energy during SBP is much more smooth and comfortable. I find this encouraging and I will probably continue with a very short routine of SBP to see how it will evolve.

Any comment about where we should put our attention? Inside the spinal chord or more in the center of the body?

Thanks

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  10:59:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Innercall, and thank you for sharing your experience.

you seem to be doing well, i mean it works so carry on with it. if i may suggest, i think that you should also give the solar enhancement a try http://www.aypsite.org/368.html; it has done wonders for me and another friend concerning the relocation of energy and grounding stuff.... it just might be the thing you need who knows.

kindest regards,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  11:14:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi innercall,

The physical spinal cord runs through the spinal column at the back of the body. I've experienced the root to brow connection both at the back of the body, and up the middle/front of the body.

The spinal nerve connects to all the areas of the body. If you google "nervous system" or "human nervous system" and click on google images, you will get several good diagrams of this. So you can see that while we may experience the energy all the way from the back to the front of the body, the main channel is still the spinal nerve.

I'm no expert on it, but if for whatever reason it is possible for you to do do SBP up the middle but not the back, I see no reason why not to do it, especially if you are experiencing the benefits of the practice. From my personal experience, the actual pathway that I trace has slowly changed over the months as I feel the energy more, and differently. So no single pathway is right or wrong. See the lesson "Big Little Nerve" again.

Addon: here's a link to a diagram, showing that the spinal nerve is somewhat central, varying between about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way from the back. And of note, once it hits the neck, it is in fact central. That last part has been the main change I've experienced in energy flow over the months. I started out imagining the nerve going up the back and making a 90 degree turn at the back of my head. As I started experiencing the energy flow, it began centralizing around my throat, and then making a gradual turn toward my nose and eyes. anyway, here's the link.

http://www.halecliniconline.com/ima...s-system.gif

Edited by - JDH on Apr 01 2010 11:27:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  4:21:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Innercall,

quote:
I know that Yogani doesn’t describe a precise path for the attention during SBP, mostly insisting on both ends of the spinal nerve.

In the main lessons, the pathway for the attention during SBP is up through the centre of the spine. See here:

"Next, with each rising inhalation of the breath, allow your attention to travel upward inside a tiny thread, or tube, you visualize beginning at your perineum, continuing up through the center of your spine, and up through the stem of your brain to the center of your head. At the center of your head the tiny nerve makes a turn forward to the point between your eyebrows. "

http://www.aypsite.org/41.html

The central channel, going in a straight line from the root chakra to the crown chakra is a different energetic pathway. It is not the one we use in SBP.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  5:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Innercall,

p.s.

I watched the video you linked to by Tao Semko and wanted to mention a few things. The pathway that he is recommending which goes up from the root chakra to the crown chakra through the centre of the body is not a safe pathway to awaken kundalini through. Many people have had problems using this route due to the premature stimulation of the crown chakra. In the video he says that the problems people have are not caused by kundalini, but are only accentuated by it. This is realy just a way of avoiding the issue, which is that people can experience a lot of pain using pathways that are not safe.

He also says that using the spinal cord as a pathway to awaken kundalini will not cause it to awaken through the central channel. In my own case, I used spinal breathing pranayama, using the spinal cord as a pathway and kundalini awakened through the central channel. Personally, I would take a lot of what he says with a pinch of salt, and some of it with serious caution.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Steve

277 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  01:08:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steve's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi innercall,

In some other forum posts in the 'Spinal Nerve' topic, Yogani expanded upon the instructions that Christi referenced also referring to a variation of SBP that uses the middle of the body. Reading his links below may put you more at ease with your current experience. An important point to note is that even though the suggestion for this variation is to go up and down the middle of the body, the beginning and ending points are the root and brow not the root and crown.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=4292#36388
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=4292#36421

Love and Light,
Steve

Edited by - Steve on Apr 02 2010 01:30:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

innercall

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  9:47:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Up to now it still seems to bring stability. I just couldn’t understand how SBP was supposed to bring stability but now I am beginning to see how it can. I still need to experiment with caution for a while though.

Ananda,
Thanks for your encouragements. I have already added the solar enhancement and it has helped me a lot.

JDH,
Thank you for sharing your experience with SBP and for the link to the nervous system picture. Without being too precise, I would say that I keep in mind the path along the line of the sympathetic chain (seen in yellow on your picture) or just in front of it instead of thru the spinal chord. You may well be following a similar path since in the head, the sympathetic chain is in the middle but the spinal chord is more in the back. For now, I try to keep it simple and follow a more or less straight line from perineum to the middle of the head then turning 90 degrees to between the eyebrows.

Christi,
Thank you for your answer and for the reminder of Yogani’s instructions for SBP. Maybe I did not express myself clearly in my message. Even if I visualise a path more in the center instead of on the back thru the spinal chord, I still avoid the crown by turning 90 degrees from the center of the head to the brow. Up to now, it seems to lessen the stimulation I already had in the area of the crown. Still, I will stay cautious.

Steve,
Thank you for pointing me these messages. I thought I had read something similar from Yogani in the past but could not find it back. It gives me more confidence that I am not doing something wrong. I guess my own experience will be the best judge of it.

Kindest regards to all of you,
Innercall
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  10:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
innercall, I'm glad SBP is starting to work out for you :)

I was just reading some of the later lessons and this one stuck out to me as a direct answer to your thread.

http://www.aypsite.org/206.html
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  05:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Innercall,

quote:
Christi,
Thank you for your answer and for the reminder of Yogani’s instructions for SBP. Maybe I did not express myself clearly in my message. Even if I visualise a path more in the center instead of on the back thru the spinal chord, I still avoid the crown by turning 90 degrees from the center of the head to the brow. Up to now, it seems to lessen the stimulation I already had in the area of the crown. Still, I will stay cautious.

Yes, if you are doing that, then there is no problem. And as Yogani mentioned in the link provided by Steve, eventually the sushumna expands to encompass the centre of the body (and all of the body in fact).

All the best

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000