Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Newcomer in need
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

patricia.f

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  11:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit patricia.f's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

I have been interested in meditation for years, without the discipline to actually begin. I met someone who jolted me out of a "wouldn't it be nice" mind-set into an "I am going to begin my journey" one. He is the one who lead me to this website. I find the information here thorough and useful, and I began this past Monday meditating twice a day for 15-20 minutes.

My first day I became frustrated from all my thoughts flooding my mind while I was trying to calm it, then read in this forum that it's a normal thing, that it's a process to go through.

The rest of the week it became better, and I'm now looking more and more forward to my sessions.

Today during Earth Hour, I took the time to meditate a third time. I found an unfamiliar feeling this time. I felt as though I was sinking in to my body, but as if my body was a shell in which I am encased. I felt myself firm to the ground, yet as if I took place of the skies...I felt grounded yet floating. I know this may not be the right words to describe how I felt.

I wanted to know if this is normal, if this means that my meditation is progressing to the next level. I'm confused as to when I should be moving on into later lessons, if I should look now because of this experience and try new things, or if I should stay where I am and practice what I have been for some time yet.

If anyone could help me, any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your time!

Patriciaf

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  11:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Patricia and welcome to the AYP forums! Glad to have you here.
quote:
Originally posted by patricia.f

My first day I became frustrated from all my thoughts flooding my mind while I was trying to calm it, then read in this forum that it's a normal thing, that it's a process to go through.

Yes, this is a normal part of the process and you are right to take the attitude of continuing on despite the feelings of frustration with the mind. When we find the mind off in thought while engaged in the process of meditation we just easily favor the mantra. We can be encouraged when we find ourselves off in thought, having lost the mantra, because then we know that there has been something being purified from our nervous system. Continuing with the easy process of losing and favoring the mantra is the right way to go about meditation and there is no reason to be frustrated. We just do meditation like we brush our teeth, without a second thought and without any expectation.

quote:

The rest of the week it became better, and I'm now looking more and more forward to my sessions.

That is wonderful! Continue on as you are and things will begin to change rapidly. Don't go into any meditation session hoping for it to be a replica of any of our previous sessions. Allow the process to expand and change as it does as there are many phases that we will find ourselves going through along the way.

quote:

Today during Earth Hour, I took the time to meditate a third time.

Be careful not to overdo it, especially at the beginning. Perhaps (if you haven't already) you may want to review this lesson here: http://www.aypsite.org/38.html

quote:

I found an unfamiliar feeling this time. I felt as though I was sinking in to my body, but as if my body was a shell in which I am encased.

Well, the body IS in fact a shell in which "you" are encased. So.... no need to worry here! You are not your body, you are not your ideas, your beliefs, or your ego....you are unbound awareness, pure bliss consciousness....the Divine manifesting as form. You are something much greater then your body.

quote:

I wanted to know if this is normal,

What's normal? It is your experience, and that's all. Nothing to be concerned with.

quote:

if this means that my meditation is progressing to the next level.

There is not much use in analyzing experiences in meditation. Experiences will come and go and we should not get attached to them. I would suggest that you continue as you are, doing meditation twice a day for 15-20 minutes, and continue reading the lessons in order. You will know when it is time to start adding more practices.

quote:

I'm confused as to when I should be moving on into later lessons, if I should look now because of this experience and try new things, or if I should stay where I am and practice what I have been for some time yet.

It is important to become stable in our current practice set before adding on new practices. Stick with meditation for a while longer and continue to read the lessons in order and as I said above, you will know when it is time to add a new practice. Read the lesson I linked above as well, it will give you an idea about how to find "your timeline".

Again, welcome to the forums! Hope to see you around here more often!

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  10:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum Patriciaf

Keep posting
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  05:25:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Patriciaf

How will you know you are ready to go on to the next step - which is Spinal Breathing; I would say when you can say - Hey ! I now know what Yogani is talking about when he speaks of inner silence.
It will not be present constantly but you would have experienced it. You need to have cultivated a degree of inner silence before adding anything else to it. Sounds like you're on your way.

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  04:26:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Seysorciere,

quote:
How will you know you are ready to go on to the next step - which is Spinal Breathing; I would say when you can say - Hey ! I now know what Yogani is talking about when he speaks of inner silence.

Just to mention, in the main lessons, the presence of inner silence is not a prerequisite for practicing pranayama. Spinal breathing pranayama, and all the other forms of pranayama can be taken on whenever the practitioner feels ready. The only prerequisite for taking on pranayama, is that we have become stable in our meditation routine first. This could take weeks, or months depending on the person.

There are two practices for which the presence of inner silence is a prerequisite, and that is samyama, and self-inquiry. This is because they simply don't work without it. In the case of self-inquiry, it can even be counter-productive.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  05:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Really? Hmm.. somehow I have picked up the impression that it was.. Thank you Christi - noted.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  08:22:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SeySorciere,

Thought it was worth mentioning, as pranayama can work with meditation to help cultivate inner silence. Pranayama removes obstructions in the nervous system, which helps the mind come to silence. The two together are a very powerful combination.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  11:04:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, I can see where I got the impression. One of the primary objectives of Spinal Breathing is "culturing the nervous system to become a steadily improving vehicle for inner silence rising from deep meditation" - so I presumed some inner silence must be present first. But then it need not necessarily be a pre-requisite, they can both happen together (hand-in-hand) - right?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  3:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SeySorcier,

quote:
But then it need not necessarily be a pre-requisite, they can both happen together (hand-in-hand) - right?

Right. One of the (secondary) purposes of deep meditation is to purify the subtle nervous system- hence the mantra enhancements. So they work together, as you say, hand in hand.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000