Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Samyama: I need help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sunrise

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  09:16:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit sunrise's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear friends,

I need some help and support to understand and practice samyama properly.
Yogani's book covering the technique is great, in my opinion the best and most detailed book available (and I read quite a few about Patanjali's technique).
But, despite a description that sounds logically and easy to follow, I have some problems doing so. The first problem is, how to think the sutra properly, the second is, how to let it go in silence properly.

Yogani writes: "In your easy silence, pick up, just once, the fuzziest feeling of the word Love. Don't deliberately make a clear pronunciation, or mental images of this or that scene or situation that represent Love to you."
I understand this that picking up a fuzziest feeling is natural and effortless, while making a clear pronunciation or producing images is done as a deliberate effort. My problem is, it is just the opposite to me. When I think the sutras, they come naturally with a clear pronunciation, and sometimes with clear mental images. On the other hand, I can think the sutras in a fuzzy way only by applying a lot of effort, strain and mental self-control. Considering teh naturalness we should find in yoga, I guess my approach to think sutras in a fuzzy way is not correct. How to "come to the word Love once in a faint, subtle way"? Can anybody give me help and advise? Greatly appreciated, thank you all!!

The second step: "let the sutra go in your silence again", "let go and let God", how is that exactly to be done?
So far I just allowed my attention to leave the sutra and fall into inner silence for some seconds. Is this, the alteration from active thinking to inner silence, the correct practice, or is "letting go of the sutra" done with the intention of dissolving the sutra in silence? How to "let go" the sutra in detail?

My main problem is that the sutras, being thoughts, seem to be opponents to inner silence. I still haven't figured out how to bring the sutras and inner silence in harmony.
When I practice only meditation, there is great harmony in the inner stillness. As I feel it, the samyama practice seems to disturb the inner peace, bringing turmoil to the mind. I guess that incorrect practice or wrong expectations I might have are the reason for that turmoil.

I further observed that the way a sutra is emotionally "wrapped" has significant influence on my emotional wellbeing. For example, thinking the sutra "friendliness" in a faint way only leaves a somewhat cold feeling, while thinking it in a friendly way by purpose leaves a more friendly feeling in the mind, though I am not sure if this is just an effect of autosuggestion.
I experimented with the word "peace". When thought in a faint way, it leaves a cold ort no feeling / effect. On the contrary, taking a nonsense word like "shoestring" as sutra and thinking it purposefully in a very friendly and peaceful way, it leaves some friendly and peaceful impression in the mind.

I guess that my problems are more than the initial "clunky stage". I try samyama regularly more than 2 years, based on inner silence gainedby almost three decades of an effortless, easy mantra transcending meditation technique.
So far I haven't achieved anything with my samyama.

Dear friends, can anybody give me help, assitance and enlightement on this matter?

Thank you so much.

Best wishes,
Sunrise

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  10:24:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sunrise:

Samyama is the art of releasing thoughts/intentions in stillness. The art of it is in cultivating the habit, which structured practice does. In time, with structured practice, our thinking and intentions are originating deep in silence, and outcomes just happen. Life becomes an endless stream of small miracles. And sometimes big ones.

It is in the habit of letting go. We do not control the fuzziness of sutras. They will be where they will be for us, and we can accept that. We just pick one up and then relax. If it isn't refined, that's okay. There is no way we can "make" a sutra be refined, except by leaving it wherever it is. In other words, samyama is not primarily a doing. It is primarily a non-doing. Can you relax with that principle? When you can, you will have it. "Having it" is relaxing and letting it go, wherever it is.

If we have been meditating, and abiding inner silence is there, then samyama is only releasing the heart and mind in that natural condition.

The point of the whole thing is to cultivate spontaneous living from within stillness. This leads to an unending divine flow in all we do. It cannot be done with manipulation, or by fretting over the process. It is about surrender -- letting go. Structured samyama facilitates this through systematic incremental steps. And we don't have to worry about managing the process. It is a simple technique we do, and then we leave it and go out and live.

Samyama is a process of purification. As the nervous system purifies and opens, sutras naturally occur at more refined levels in awareness, as does all thinking and doing. It is a gradual process of transformation. It takes however long it takes. We are each unique in our process of purification and opening, though we share the inner principles of transformation and the basic methods to stimulate them.

If we keep meditating twice-daily, sooner or later all of life will come to be lived in stillness. Samyama aids us in the merging of desiring, thinking and doing in That.

It is the cultivation of stillness in action.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  10:57:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sunrise

My problem is, it is just the opposite to me. When I think the sutras, they come naturally with a clear pronunciation, and sometimes with clear mental images. On the other hand, I can think the sutras in a fuzzy way only by applying a lot of effort, strain and mental self-control. Considering teh naturalness we should find in yoga, I guess my approach to think sutras in a fuzzy way is not correct. How to "come to the word Love once in a faint, subtle way"? Can anybody give me help and advise? Greatly appreciated, thank you all!!

Just say the word love in your mind. Don't worry about fuzzy or not. Say the word... or rather pick the word up in your mind and then drop it, stop saying/thinking it. Don't analyze if the way you are picking the word is fuzzy or not. As you continue it will refine itself to be at a fuzzy level or not... because when samyama becomes natural, the focus no longer is on the words.. but the movement of picking the sutra from silence and going back into silence. So do what you are doing right now, and don't analyze it. When we don't analyze it, we give it a chance to refine itself the way it needs to.

quote:
The second step: "let the sutra go in your silence again", "let go and let God", how is that exactly to be done?
So far I just allowed my attention to leave the sutra and fall into inner silence for some seconds. Is this, the alteration from active thinking to inner silence, the correct practice, or is "letting go of the sutra" done with the intention of dissolving the sutra in silence? How to "let go" the sutra in detail?

Like I said, in the beginning just stop thinking the word. So sitting in stillness after meditation now think the word "love" for a few second and the stop thinking the word.. take your mind back to silence for a few seconds.. the think love again then back to silence again. Make it a mechanical process... and as you continue.. you will actually experience the word arising from silence and dissolving back into silence.

quote:
My main problem is that the sutras, being thoughts, seem to be opponents to inner silence. I still haven't figured out how to bring the sutras and inner silence in harmony.
When I practice only meditation, there is great harmony in the inner stillness. As I feel it, the samyama practice seems to disturb the inner peace, bringing turmoil to the mind. I guess that incorrect practice or wrong expectations I might have are the reason for that turmoil.

Again, don't try to make it anything but a very mechanical practice not involving too much thinking at first... soon the practice will take over and there will be no effort involved. Let it not be a struggle to begin with... let it be in harmony right from the start... and the way it is in harmony right form the start is by not trying to do the practice in any way it is not flowing. Just because you are focused on the word.. does not mean it will be like that all the time... it will be like that all the time if you analyze every sutra and every practice. The mind just loves that.
quote:
I further observed that the way a sutra is emotionally "wrapped" has significant influence on my emotional wellbeing. For example, thinking the sutra "friendliness" in a faint way only leaves a somewhat cold feeling, while thinking it in a friendly way by purpose leaves a more friendly feeling in the mind, though I am not sure if this is just an effect of autosuggestion.
I experimented with the word "peace". When thought in a faint way, it leaves a cold ort no feeling / effect. On the contrary, taking a nonsense word like "shoestring" as sutra and thinking it purposefully in a very friendly and peaceful way, it leaves some friendly and peaceful impression in the mind.

Stick to the nine sutra explained by Yogani in this lesson. Learn with these basic 9 sutras. Once you are good with this, your inner guru will guide you to add whatever is required. You don't need to have emotional connection with any. The connection too evolves over time.

quote:
I guess that my problems are more than the initial "clunky stage". I try samyama regularly more than 2 years, based on inner silence gainedby almost three decades of an effortless, easy mantra transcending meditation technique.

No, it is more that you have an expectation of what samyama should be like. Seriously, just drop any preconceived idea and do a very mechanical practice and let it evolve. I am assuring you you will see the difference. Drop the mind evaluation.

And welcome to the AYP forums.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  11:10:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PS: Maybe this will help you understand what Yogani means by fuzzy.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=3489#30424

It is a natural evolution. But as long as there is analysis, it will not happen. I went through the exact same thing, hence I am telling you what I am. Make is a very mechanical process and drop any expectations of what the outcome should look like. You will see it evolving. The hardest part is letting go the preconceived ideas. But the day you let that go, your practice will pick up a life of its own.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  11:16:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PPS: I just saw Yogani's reply. Thanks Yogani.
Go to Top of Page

sunrise

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  03:35:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit sunrise's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Yogani,

thank you very much for your explanation. I will try to practice a relaxed approach. For the time being, I guess it is also better to reduce the number of sutra repetitions to only 1x.

Best wishes,
Sunrise

quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi Sunrise:

Samyama is the art of releasing thoughts/intentions in stillness. The art of it is in cultivating the habit, which structured practice does. In time, with structured practice, our thinking and intentions are originating deep in silence, and outcomes just happen. Life becomes an endless stream of small miracles. And sometimes big ones.

It is in the habit of letting go. We do not control the fuzziness of sutras. They will be where they will be for us, and we can accept that. We just pick one up and then relax. If it isn't refined, that's okay. There is no way we can "make" a sutra be refined, except by leaving it wherever it is. In other words, samyama is not primarily a doing. It is primarily a non-doing. Can you relax with that principle? When you can, you will have it. "Having it" is relaxing and letting it go, wherever it is.

If we have been meditating, and abiding inner silence is there, then samyama is only releasing the heart and mind in that natural condition.

The point of the whole thing is to cultivate spontaneous living from within stillness. This leads to an unending divine flow in all we do. It cannot be done with manipulation, or by fretting over the process. It is about surrender -- letting go. Structured samyama facilitates this through systematic incremental steps. And we don't have to worry about managing the process. It is a simple technique we do, and then we leave it and go out and live.

Samyama is a process of purification. As the nervous system purifies and opens, sutras naturally occur at more refined levels in awareness, as does all thinking and doing. It is a gradual process of transformation. It takes however long it takes. We are each unique in our process of purification and opening, though we share the inner principles of transformation and the basic methods to stimulate them.

If we keep meditating twice-daily, sooner or later all of life will come to be lived in stillness. Samyama aids us in the merging of desiring, thinking and doing in That.

It is the cultivation of stillness in action.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

sunrise

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  03:37:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit sunrise's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Shanti,

thank you for your explanations; it's a great help!

Best wishes,
Sunrise

quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

quote:

My problem is, it is just the opposite to me. When I think the sutras, they come naturally with a clear pronunciation, and sometimes with clear mental images. On the other hand, I can think the sutras in a fuzzy way only by applying a lot of effort, strain and mental self-control. Considering teh naturalness we should find in yoga, I guess my approach to think sutras in a fuzzy way is not correct. How to "come to the word Love once in a faint, subtle way"? Can anybody give me help and advise? Greatly appreciated, thank you all!!

Just say the word love in your mind. Don't worry about fuzzy or not. Say the word... or rather pick the word up in your mind and then drop it, stop saying/thinking it. Don't analyze if the way you are picking the word is fuzzy or not. As you continue it will refine itself to be at a fuzzy level or not... because when samyama becomes natural, the focus no longer is on the words.. but the movement of picking the sutra from silence and going back into silence. So do what you are doing right now, and don't analyze it. When we don't analyze it, we give it a chance to refine itself the way it needs to.

quote:

Like I said, in the beginning just stop thinking the word. So sitting in stillness after meditation now think the word "love" for a few second and the stop thinking the word.. take your mind back to silence for a few seconds.. the think love again then back to silence again. Make it a mechanical process... and as you continue.. you will actually experience the word arising from silence and dissolving back into silence.

quote:

Again, don't try to make it anything but a very mechanical practice not involving too much thinking at first... soon the practice will take over and there will be no effort involved. Let it not be a struggle to begin with... let it be in harmony right from the start... and the way it is in harmony right form the start is by not trying to do the practice in any way it is not flowing. Just because you are focused on the word.. does not mean it will be like that all the time... it will be like that all the time if you analyze every sutra and every practice. The mind just loves that.
quote:

Stick to the nine sutra explained by Yogani in this lesson. Learn with these basic 9 sutras. Once you are good with this, your inner guru will guide you to add whatever is required. You don't need to have emotional connection with any. The connection too evolves over time.

quote:

No, it is more that you have an expectation of what samyama should be like. Seriously, just drop any preconceived idea and do a very mechanical practice and let it evolve. I am assuring you you will see the difference. Drop the mind evaluation.

And welcome to the AYP forums.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  09:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Dear Shanti,

Best wishes,
Sunrise

You are welcome Sunrise. I am glad it helped.
Go to Top of Page

sunrise

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  3:03:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit sunrise's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

quote:

Dear Shanti,

Best wishes,
Sunrise

You are welcome Sunrise. I am glad it helped.

Dear Shanti,

it's difficult to relax; it almost feels like the beautiful inner silence doesn't want to be disturbed by sutras. Practising samayama usually doesn't give me anything except headaches and muscle spasms. How can I bridge the disharmony between being in easy nice inner silence and a sutra? It might sound strange, but if I don't have a good context to think the sutras within, all the sutras - beside their good meaning - start to sound ugly in my mind. It's scary sometimes. Am I just too clumsy for samyama??

Thanks for your help!
~ Sunrise ~
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  9:30:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Dear Shanti,

it's difficult to relax; it almost feels like the beautiful inner silence doesn't want to be disturbed by sutras. Practising samayama usually doesn't give me anything except headaches and muscle spasms. How can I bridge the disharmony between being in easy nice inner silence and a sutra? It might sound strange, but if I don't have a good context to think the sutras within, all the sutras - beside their good meaning - start to sound ugly in my mind. It's scary sometimes. Am I just too clumsy for samyama??

Thanks for your help!
~ Sunrise ~

No one is clumsy for samyama, the silence feels good and so it feels natural to stay with it. But when this silence move outwards it heals.

It is just a matter of getting used to doing this. Just the way, when we sit for meditation the first time, and we have an over active mind, we can get a headache if we try too hard, but soon we get good at meditation and becoming silent is easy, so too with samyama, practicing with ease will make it a habit and make it easier.

How about in the beginning just do 3 sutras, Love, Radiance and Unity. If that feels uncomfortable just start with Love.

Very lightly, at a very fuzzy level pick the word love (before your mind has attached a meaning to the word love) and drop it.. just once if doing twice is uncomfortable. When you pick the word and drop it, you will feel the silence you cultivated in meditation expand from within outward... just go with this feeling.

Let me know if this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  11:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes when I am moving in silence the world appears and my life unfolds through the Samyama on my thoughts, my archetypes and dreams, my lingering desires. And, then as if after a blink, the world changes again and coincidences are everywhere, like a deja vue, the sweet shadow of a forgotten dream. Letting go is Love.
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  06:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sunrise

quote:
Dear Shanti,

it's difficult to relax; it almost feels like the beautiful inner silence doesn't want to be disturbed by sutras. Practising samayama usually doesn't give me anything except headaches and muscle spasms. How can I bridge the disharmony between being in easy nice inner silence and a sutra? It might sound strange, but if I don't have a good context to think the sutras within, all the sutras - beside their good meaning - start to sound ugly in my mind.

Take the sutra "Love" for example.......
I am sure you already know this....but in Samyama.......as opposed to in Deep Meditation....it is actually the meaning of the word that is the vehicle. Not the conceptual meaning (what mind thinks of as love), not the resonance of the sound of the word (as in "i am" meditation)....but the actual sense that comes with the word when you faintly pick up the sutra. That sensemeaning can be very faint....even to the point of not quite knowing what exactly it is.....but on whatever level the meaning is...it is fine.

So....instead of thinking of it as dropping words into silence.....when engaged in Samyama....I simply easily pick up the sensemeaning that is included in the sutra. It is this sense that is then dropped into the inner silence.

And so the mind can simply manipulate the words all it wants.....even to the point of the words sounding ugly. It matters not what the mind thinks. Just don't believe in it. Just know that what is dropped is the first sense inside when you gently pick up the sutra.

Also - in my experience, picking just one sutra - especially the sutra Love - always created some unbalance. It is good, like Shanti said, to take at least Love - Radiance - Unity if you have trouble with the whole 9 sutras.

Usually though.....it is not the number of sutras that is the struggle. It is the struggle itself that is the struggle.....if that makes sense :)
Just come back if you are off on some struggle.....let the mind do it's thing without you being interested in it......(this includes all the ideas it might have of what Samyama should be like when you are engaged in Samyama....what the inner silence should feel like etc.)......let it all be the way it is without choosing to go shopping with any of it.

Remember that all that occurs during Samyama is also part of the unwinding deep in the nervous system. It is part of the purification process. So "feeling nice inner silence" is not necessary. A lot can - and does - come up. Don't mind it. Just gently stay with the actual simple procedure of the practice.

So.....you gently sayfeel the sutra "Love"......then let that drop inwards....come back if you are off shopping with thoughts about what it is dropping into...."nice inner silence"...or "no inner silence"... gently inwards is enough...the rest will take care of itself....
And then you stay/come back here where you are no matter what else is occuring......until it is time to pick up the next sutra/sensemeaning.

quote:
How can I bridge the disharmony between being in easy nice inner silence and a sutra?

Let it be the way it is. This in itself is the relaxation. Even the sense that you cannot relax can be the way it is. So when you notice it...you don't engage further in it....you let it be. This is the "not leaving".....or "the gently coming back" if you were off for a while. This is the embrace. Let all be as it is.

Inner silence needs no bridge....and harmony includes disharmony.

All the best
Go to Top of Page

sunrise

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  1:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit sunrise's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Shanti, dear Katrine,

thank you for your helpful comments and advice! (and sorry that I reply with such a delay!!) I have been trying to follow your suggestions, but still find it difficult to do...
Mainly the sutras are bothering, feeling like unwelcome guests in the silence, usually coming together with increasing neck and shoulder pain.
It gets better when I focus more on the content of the sutras as something I appreciate, or when I think the sutras not as sutras I read about, but as my own genuine thoughts.
I hope so much that I can make some progress in the right direction. Sometimes it's just a little frustrating to read about other practitioner's wonderful experiences, while I'm immediately stuck with physical pain as soon as I touch a sutra
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  4:16:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Sunrise,

I hope this phase will pass quickly so you can succeed in samyama practice. Fortunately, there are so many practices to choose from here (mantra enhancements, asanas, pranayamas, etc.).

Are you doing SBP and/or self-inquiry? I don't know this for sure, but I have a feeling these practices might help prepare you for samyama at a later time.

My reasoning is that samyama blends aspects from both deep meditation (inner silence) and SBP (ecstatic conductivity). There's also the aspect of letting go of thoughts (self-inquiry). If your practice has all these elements, and works for you, then I tend to think samyama will be easier at a later time.

I could be completely wrong on this, but it makes sense to me. This is simply what I would do, if placed in your situation. So take that for what it is

Hope this helps in some way

With Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

sunrise

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  12:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit sunrise's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Cosmic,

I was not aware of the article about self-inquiry, thanks for introducing it to me!

Best wishes,
sunrise
Go to Top of Page

sunrise

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  12:05:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit sunrise's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear friends,

the sutras still feel like hostile intruders in the mind when I'm thinking them. Based on your experiences, would you suggest just to hold out until it gets better, or to apply the concept that the sutras are already there in silence, and we pick it up from silence?

Thanks and love,
sunrise
Go to Top of Page

sunrise

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  12:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit sunrise's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi Sunrise:

The guru is in you.

Dear Yogani,
I am sorry still having problems understanding the concept of "releasing". When I try to release my thoughts or emotions or intentions, it feels like I'm loosing them, making my inward life poorer and colder.
Could you please help me out and explain the meaning and principle of "releasing"?

Thank you so much!
sunrise
Go to Top of Page

Rishi

USA
37 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  11:37:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Sunrise,

Greetings!

I can share with you my interpretation and experience with the AYP concept of ‘releasing the sutra into silence’, which has worked for me.

First I needed to understand what silence is. Took me some time - but through structured deep meditation practice I was able to get a glimpse of the state of silence or stillness. The state does not last too long for me.Uncontrollable side effects like heightened ecstasy, amrita flow – and most importantly the awareness that ‘I am in silence’, pulls me out of the state.

So coming back to the ‘releasing’ concept, the closest analogy I can give is of amnesia. I think about the sutra and forget about it completely – not to think anything else instead, but to think of nothing.

But the act of forgetting took time. Just like if one is trying not to think of a specific thing – like a monkey flying out of the window, the image of the monkey often persists. In the beginning, ‘image’ of the sutra persisted on the fringes of my consciousness – until it dissolved eventually.

With practice, the time it took lesser time to ‘forget’ or ‘letting go’ of the sutra. I also found that the state of silence following the ‘letting go’ had a different texture. It was more powerful.

The next step was trying to ‘forget’ even before I finished ‘remembering’ the sutra. Eventually, even ‘before’ I started to remember – just around the trace of the intention to remember, or as Yogani puts it - ‘the energy before the thought’

Hope this helps!
Rishi
Go to Top of Page

JDas

USA
74 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  8:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit JDas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sunrise.

I habitually believe that I never do ANYTHING correctly. Saying that, I am again wrong, lol.

I believe that you will eventually 'get it' if you keep doing it. Your spiritual center, your nervous system will weigh in and help you out and eventually you will get it. It's a question of faith, like most things. Our minds, I believe, are the sticking points on issues like these. Don't let your mind be the metric in these matters. Try to feel it from someplace else. My advice: just keep doing it and eventually you will get it. Thanks for bringing this up.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  7:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Sunrise,

you speak about a deep silence and disturbance through sound. And when you release a sutra you speak about intense physical reactions. I would say this is ultra good samyama.

The deeper the sutra can sink into silence, the more intense the effects are. And this is exctly what is happening for you. As it seems a bit too intese as your nervous system is not used to that degree of expression, so some friction here and there causes the discomfort.

If you are not doing any asanas or pranayma, these would smooth out the physical reactions very much.

When it comes to words like "releasing into" "picking up" etc. These are just words for communication to make "you get it". What happens is: the sutra appears as sound and disappears. This is the process. The rest is just believe. Samyama is nothing else then total grace. Just go on.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000