Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Samyama and the World Situation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  03:12:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All!

As i see it, our densely manifested illusion of planet Earth is seemingly failing at a rapid rate, every week there is yet a new extraordinary disaster occurring and vast suffering and death to follow.

Having taken Bodhisattvic vows ( to help relieve the suffering of all beings before entering into Nirvana one's self), i feel terribly restricted from adding any significant influence toward correcting what can be corrected and to protect those who can be.

Because the destructive forces seem to be accelerating, and though we ARE on the "fast track" with Yogani Ji, i still feel trapped and powerless to influence the world at large and to manage the immense responsibilities and unfinished business of my own life.

When it seems right, i engage in deep surrendering prayer with Shakti and Shakta, who have assured me that they will help to expedite my progress, and at the same time protect me from any negative effects. Soon after a few such sessions, i have finally been able to move to a Samyama practice, directed by them to do only one repetition of each sutra per sitting, for now. I am very happy about being able to do it at ALL!

I recall, from reading the Samyama book, that we are asked not to get into the Appendix Sutras, but some of them truly seem like the means to act beyond my boxed-in life, which can't be surpassed by any mundane means, whatsoever. Intuitively, i do feel like i could trust the natural outcomes of a balanced Samayama practice, and wonder if, because we seem to be living in times of emergency, might not there be a way to integrate some of the appendix sutras into one's early practice without any negative ramifications?

Examples would be:

"Past/Present?future: Knowledge of the past and future"

"Body's appearance: Disappearance of the body from view"

"Inner Light: Knowledge of a object/person/place @ a distance."

"Trachea: subduing hunger and thirst"

"Breath: immunity from external disruptions/exit from body at will"

"Inner Intellect: stewardship of all beings"

Etc......all very practical in extraordinary times!

Seems like we have little time to waste, if time even exists?

Any input, my Peeps??

Love

Rael

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  08:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Rael

I recall, from reading the Samyama book, that we are asked not to get into the Appendix Sutras, but some of them truly seem like the means to act beyond my boxed-in life, which can't be surpassed by any mundane means, whatsoever. Intuitively, i do feel like i could trust the natural outcomes of a balanced Samayama practice, and wonder if, because we seem to be living in times of emergency, might not there be a way to integrate some of the appendix sutras into one's early practice without any negative ramifications?

There is no part of AYP that anyone is restricted from... not even the Appendix sutras. Anyone is welcome to add any of those sutras.

It is recommended that we get stable with our core samyam practice before we add them because:
1. When we are still learning samyama, the practice is not as effective as when we get used to doing samyama.
2. Yogani has a balanced set of sutras to purify globally rather than be focused on one area and not on another (this always leads to imbalances)
3. Those sutras look very enticing, and we could get tempted to add more than one or two and make the practice too long and dilute it's effects.
4. The mind loves to go outward and help. The whole world is falling apart and we need to help... we help by healing ourselves... then we let the divine flow through us to heal the world. Till then it is just our egos adding more confusion to the chaos.

You are welcome to add one or two of those sutras to your core samyama practice Rael. But don't drop the core samyama practice. That is what will help you open and become the instrument through which the divine will flow.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  10:11:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rael,

As I recall, Yogani says that we are free to explore all the appendix sutras when we have become stable in core samyama practice.

Good luck with saving the planet!

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  1:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Shanti and Christi

Very useful words and i also found some more from Yogani prior to sleep!
007 has her assignment and is on the case!

You are great!

Thank you SO much
Sincerely
Rael
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  4:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti said:

It is recommended that we get stable with our core samyam practice before we add them because:
1. When we are still learning samyama, the practice is not as effective as when we get used to doing samyama.
2. Yogani has a balanced set of sutras to purify globally rather than be focused on one area and not on another (this always leads to imbalances)
3. Those sutras look very enticing, and we could get tempted to add more than one or two and make the practice too long and dilute it's effects.
4. The mind loves to go outward and help. The whole world is falling apart and we need to help... we help by healing ourselves... then we let the divine flow through us to heal the world. Till then it is just our egos adding more confusion to the chaos.

You are welcome to add one or two of those sutras to your core samyama practice Rael. But don't drop the core samyama practice. That is what will help you open and become the instrument through which the divine will flow.
[/quote]

Dear Shanti....

Can we go into a little more detail and double-checking? Forgive me for being so overly technical, but you probably know me by know, and understand that i like to get things at least pretty much right.

It seems that from Yogani's experience, like we've said, he has created a "balanced" basic Samyama practice for us to start with.

Would this mean they are balanced in:

The meaning/effect on us and the world?

and /or

The types of energies that would be aroused?

You were saying it is OK to add "one or two" advanced sutras to my basic practice. Would this mean that even though i am just starting out with Samayama, i could start with an extra one or two as my basic practice without causing dilution/overload/imbalance?

OR

Does it mean practice the basics awhile, THEN add one or two?

Sorry if i seem dense!

Thirdly:

Could i tweak the basic ones in how i present them to myself in practice?

"Health" to me would be:

"Healed"/"Best-restored" (meaning that all things that have been deteriorated or lost due to age/illness/circumstance, be restored to the state where they had been at the pinnacle of their original existence: Like teeth)/"Cured" (as in an "incurable" condition being addressed)"

This is how it would look: "Healed/Best Restored/Cured"

"Strength" would be:

"Strength/Flexibility"
....one seems to need the other, in my experience, physically and on other, inner levels (Yin and Yang)....yet, would they be deemed incompatible as terms within the same sutra, by the experts?

"Wisdom":

"Wisdom/Knowledge/Memory", since having more knowledge, the more you can be wise about. If the memory has gotten raggedy, then one can't keep data current or accessible in order to make the best of it through wisdom and knowledge.

If not addable verbally, could or should these values be extended to them when contemplating them outside of Samyama practice in order to keep the practice as simple, yet potent, as possible?

Also:

When you use the terms "Globally" and "Areas" do you mean in meaning/value

OR

physically in one's self and /or the planet?

Not sure what you meant by them.

Could "Subduing hunger and thirst" (advanced list) mean Breatharianism at it's ultimate expression???.....this has been a long-term desire!

Lastly:

I recall reading about people making-up their own sutras:

Some that i have considered for self and other are:

"Freedom"

"Safe/protected/invulnerable/fearless/anxiety"

"Beauty" (on all levels)
...is this equitable with "Radiance"?

"Magus/immortal"

"Discipline"
(I am ALWAYS in need of help with this!)....it would seem like a basic one actually???

"Motivation-motility/Apathy/Will (Higher Will)/will (lower will)"

"Anger/Sweetness/Shanti (Peace)"

Are these constructed as best they might?

Are they covered by/inherent in, ones already constructed by Patanjali/Yogani???

Any comments from anyone about these?

The plan (?):

If these (the self-made ), or some of these, are acceptable, i would take one of them into my beginner-basic practice (probably "safe/protection/invulnerable/fearless/anxiety" and one from the advanced list, like "Breath" and just go for awhile with little or no adjustment.

Does this sound cool?

Yogani is probably rolling in fits of laughter on his Yoga mat, reading THIS one!..Oich!

Love and blessings to all today....i hope you see the Sun!

Sincerely,

Rael!

Edited by - Rael on Mar 27 2010 4:53:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  5:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
P.S. :

Does "Radiance" embody "brilliance"? If so, it would negate the need to add-on knowledge and memory to Wisdom.....

Yes, i AM still at it!
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  5:56:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Rael,

I can't speak for Shanti, but I believe what she's pointing to is this:

Make sure you don't miss the benefits of Yogani's balanced array of sutras. The sutra list he chose is pretty complete. The sutras are effective and cover a lot of ground. If you stray too far from the list by cutting some sutras and adding your own, the effects may not be optimal.

You should still get good results, but as noted, effectiveness will vary.

quote:

and /or

Yes to both. Also balanced from a purification standpoint. They cover wide ground in the nervous system.

Beyond that, I think it's best to trust the process and not try to micromanage it too much. After all, samyama is about letting go and trusting the wisdom of the universe. If we overthink it and try to control the results, I feel that it's counter-productive.

Lots of love to you

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  6:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In other words, it's not about YOU fixing the world. It's about you cooperating with the Divine by getting out of Its way

Love.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  6:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rael,
If I give a 5 year old child a Harry Potter book, do you think she could read it? If I sat and read it to her, how long do you think I could hold her attention before she got bored and lost interest in reading?

The level of complexity we add to any practice determines the ease with which we will be able to make this practice a part of our everyday practices. As you know, being consistent is the key. 9 sutras 2 times each takes up enough time and takes a while to learn the sequence and get comfortable with the practice. We here will not stop you from making your practice more complicated... but Yogani always reminds us to KISS-Keep It Simple Stupid.

So I will recommend starting Samyama with just the basic 9 sutras. Once you are comfortable with them and with your samyama practice then you can think about adding one or two additional sutras. But only after you have learn your ABCs can you read a chapter book.

Here is something I had written sometime back on focusing on an outcome for samyama.
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Couple of drawbacks to focusing on an outcome that the mind thinks its right for us.
First, in my experience, in the beginning when I would focus on one specific sutra, I realized, my attachment to the sutra and its outcome kept me bound to it. So for example, "forgiveness" as a sutra.. everyday, twice a day, kept the concept of "forgiveness" very much alive in me. Well like I said.. I am really lazy (sometimes its a blessing you know!!!).. I dropped the sutra (I can barely go through the 9!!!!). Later as I opened further I realized there really was nothing to "forgive".. it all is exactly as it is.. my need to get/give forgiveness was keeping me bound to the ego concept "forgiveness". So early on in my practice, when I did not know about the "I" and "me".. "forgiveness" sounded like the perfect sutra that would liberate me from so much pain I carried around... later when the "I" and "me" were obvious to me.. I realized, "forgiveness" as a sutra made me look outward for relief.. it made me look at how I could make things right in the outer world.. it very much kept "me", "my" pain and the reason for "my" pain alive... instead of looking within for the answers. So the point is, when we do start on our path, it is very difficult to judge what really is the best sutra to go with. That is why Yogani has a balanced series of nine sutras. Once we have progressed enough, wherein the silence is really predominant in our lives, we can decide what siddhi works the best for us and focus on it if so desired.

""Health" to me would be "Healed"/"Best-restored""... why do you want to restrict it to being healed.. why not health which could mean.. past, present and future.. which could mean me, you and the world, which could me healthy mind, body, soul. When you restrict it with a definition set by the mind, that is how far you can get. Why ask for $1000.. because that seems like a lot of money to the mind, when you can get a million if you don't limit what you are asking for with your limited mind?

As for global I mean what Yogani says here:

quote:
As for selection and order of sutras, what you see is my best list based on covering the full range of body, heart, mind and all within and around us.

Let me know if there is something I have not covered in my replay and I will try to address it.

Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  10:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic

Hello Rael,

I can't speak for Shanti, but I believe what she's pointing to is this:

Make sure you don't miss the benefits of Yogani's balanced array of sutras. The sutra list he chose is pretty complete. The sutras are effective and cover a lot of ground. If you stray too far from the list by cutting some sutras and adding your own, the effects may not be optimal.

You should still get good results, but as noted, effectiveness will vary.

quote:

and /or

Yes to both. Also balanced from a purification standpoint. They cover wide ground in the nervous system.

Beyond that, I think it's best to trust the process and not try to micromanage it too much. After all, samyama is about letting go and trusting the wisdom of the universe. If we overthink it and try to control the results, I feel that it's counter-productive.

Lots of love to you

Peace
cosmic

Dear Cosmic....Hi!

Fortunately, my intent was just to add to Yoganis' list, not to really eliminate any of his items. The closest that would come to that would be "Healed" as opposed to "Health", which speaks to me more dynamically, for some reason....i have been sick since 2 years old, from one thing or the other. I'm now 54 and am pretty fed up with it, especially since i am a healer myself. With "Healed" there might also be the chance that my abilities as a healer might be enhanced or wisdom about the process....whatever the Universe has in mind.

Thank you about the "micro-management".....this seems to be quite a pre-occupation with me, which is hard to control, especially since AYP seems to be what i have been waiting to find since i was a little kid!...I have travelled many paths on the way, so finally opening the Golden Gates, i find it hard to hold-back! The spiritual ego runs off ahead of me at every chance!

Love and Blessings to you too Cosmic, and than k you for always being close-by!

Sincerely,

Rael
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  11:10:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

Hi Rael,
If I give a 5 year old child a Harry Potter book, do you think she could read it? If I sat and read it to her, how long do you think I could hold her attention before she got bored and lost interest in reading?

The level of complexity we add to any practice determines the ease with which we will be able to make this practice a part of our everyday practices. As you know, being consistent is the key. 9 sutras 2 times each takes up enough time and takes a while to learn the sequence and get comfortable with the practice. We here will not stop you from making your practice more complicated... but Yogani always reminds us to KISS-Keep It Simple Stupid.

So I will recommend starting Samyama with just the basic 9 sutras. Once you are comfortable with them and with your samyama practice then you can think about adding one or two additional sutras. But only after you have learn your ABCs can you read a chapter book.

Here is something I had written sometime back on focusing on an outcome for samyama.
quote:

Couple of drawbacks to focusing on an outcome that the mind thinks its right for us.
First, in my experience, in the beginning when I would focus on one specific sutra, I realized, my attachment to the sutra and its outcome kept me bound to it. So for example, "forgiveness" as a sutra.. everyday, twice a day, kept the concept of "forgiveness" very much alive in me. Well like I said.. I am really lazy (sometimes its a blessing you know!!!).. I dropped the sutra (I can barely go through the 9!!!!). Later as I opened further I realized there really was nothing to "forgive".. it all is exactly as it is.. my need to get/give forgiveness was keeping me bound to the ego concept "forgiveness". So early on in my practice, when I did not know about the "I" and "me".. "forgiveness" sounded like the perfect sutra that would liberate me from so much pain I carried around... later when the "I" and "me" were obvious to me.. I realized, "forgiveness" as a sutra made me look outward for relief.. it made me look at how I could make things right in the outer world.. it very much kept "me", "my" pain and the reason for "my" pain alive... instead of looking within for the answers. So the point is, when we do start on our path, it is very difficult to judge what really is the best sutra to go with. That is why Yogani has a balanced series of nine sutras. Once we have progressed enough, wherein the silence is really predominant in our lives, we can decide what siddhi works the best for us and focus on it if so desired.

""Health" to me would be "Healed"/"Best-restored""... why do you want to restrict it to being healed.. why not health which could mean.. past, present and future.. which could mean me, you and the world, which could me healthy mind, body, soul. When you restrict it with a definition set by the mind, that is how far you can get. Why ask for $1000.. because that seems like a lot of money to the mind, when you can get a million if you don't limit what you are asking for with your limited mind?

As for global I mean what Yogani says here:

quote:
As for selection and order of sutras, what you see is my best list based on covering the full range of body, heart, mind and all within and around us.

Let me know if there is something I have not covered in my replay and I will try to address it.

Thank you Shanti!...I think, as a result of input from you and the others, i am finally straightened-out on this.

Your assisstance is priceless!

Bless You!

Loving Hugs,

Rael!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  09:47:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rael. Glad it helped.

Great post Cosmic. I missed it yesterday.
Go to Top of Page

hemanthks

Canada
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  5:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit hemanthks's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Rael,
[quote]Originally posted by Shanti

Namaste Shanti:

The above quote caught my attention. I am thinking to start samyama practice and was going through the sutras list in the lesson. I was disappointed as "Forgiveness" and "Acceptance" were not listed in the lesson. I am not sure in what context you wrote the above lines. My question is, can I add forgiveness and acceptance to the basic 9 sutras or not ? (of course after I become comfortable with 9 sutras). For now, I feel forgiveness and acceptance is what I need the most. Are you saying, after doing 9 sutras, other additional sutras are not required?

Regards,
Hemanth
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  09:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by hemanthks

[Namaste Shanti:

The above quote caught my attention. I am thinking to start samyama practice and was going through the sutras list in the lesson. I was disappointed as "Forgiveness" and "Acceptance" were not listed in the lesson. I am not sure in what context you wrote the above lines. My question is, can I add forgiveness and acceptance to the basic 9 sutras or not ? (of course after I become comfortable with 9 sutras). For now, I feel forgiveness and acceptance is what I need the most. Are you saying, after doing 9 sutras, other additional sutras are not required?

Regards,
Hemanth

I am sorry I missed this. I was searching for something to reply to someone else and came across this. If ever anyone posts a question to me, and I don't reply, please feel free to send me an email to direct me to the question.
Again, sorry Hemanth.

Personally, I would say not to add a sutra like "forgiveness" or "acceptance" if we are starting out with samyama. Like I said above, we limit ourselves when get too specific with sutras. At times they can help, but in general a sutra like "Love" covers forgiveness and acceptance. You cannot love without complete forgiveness and acceptance... and this is not a forgiveness and acceptance of another, it is the complete forgiveness and acceptance of ourselves. When we can love ourselves completely exactly as we are, with no judgements and stories... when we can do this, we can love and forgive and accept everything else. Anything in the outside world that bothers us and causes an uneasiness in us, it is something in us we need to look at and let go (self inquiry), when we can do that, the thing in the outer world that is bothering us, will just be a part of the flow.

If however, right now you feel, adding forgiveness and acceptance will help you, do so, without having a specific goal in mind and not being attached to the sutra, the process or the outcome. This way, if the sutra decides to drop off, you can allow that too.

Hope this helps a bit.
Go to Top of Page

hemanthks

Canada
59 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  4:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit hemanthks's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I am sorry I missed this. I was searching for something to reply to someone else and came across this. If ever anyone posts a question to me, and I don't reply, please feel free to send me an email to direct me to the question.Again, sorry Hemanth.

No problem Shanthi, It had skipped my mind too..next time, I will sure email you. Thank You for replying.
I understand "love" just in theory. When people talk about love, it seems I can understand it, but not really pin-point what it is. So is it ok to add Love in Samyama, even though I am not sure what it is?
quote:
.. and this is not a forgiveness and acceptance of another, it is the complete forgiveness and acceptance of ourselves. When we can love ourselves completely exactly as we are, with no judgements and stories... when we can do this, we can love and forgive and accept everything else.

How do we do this? by Self inquiry?

Thanks again,
Namaste
Hemanth
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2010 :  10:21:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I understand "love" just in theory. When people talk about love, it seems I can understand it, but not really pin-point what it is. So is it ok to add Love in Samyama, even though I am not sure what it is?

Love is the stillness we experience when we meditate. Love is the feeling we feel when we see something beautiful, a child, the sunset, a full moon, the ocean, a river flowing, a flower, good food, a hug, a gift, a compliment, an injured puppy.

Love is what we feel when we meet someone we despise or someone that scares us or someone that upsets us or makes us angry... fear and hatred and anger can only exist when there is love... it is a love for something that makes us feel un-love for something else. We love our country so we feel anger toward a country that attacks us. We may not realize we feel love for our country, but if we did not, we would not feel anger toward the other now would we? We feel upset when our football team losses a game, we would not feel upset if we did not love our football team now would we? We don't feel upset when a football team we don't care about losses? We feel threatened, angry, sad when we meet someone we despise... it is because we love the concept of our"self"... if we did not love our"self", we should not be angry, afraid or feel hatred toward another now would we? There has to be love for something, when we feel the opposite toward something else.

We focus more on the negative feeling, we give disproportionate attention to the negative feelings and hence miss the reason for those feelings... "love".

So, although we are not aware we know what love is, we do love. Stillness knows "love"... "love" is this stillness... love is our true nature... love is what manifests everything. So in samyama, even if you don't really know what love is, if you can pick the word and let it go in stillness, stillness will show you what "love" is.
quote:

quote:
.. and this is not a forgiveness and acceptance of another, it is the complete forgiveness and acceptance of ourselves. When we can love ourselves completely exactly as we are, with no judgements and stories... when we can do this, we can love and forgive and accept everything else.

If you are so inclined, I would suggest you read a couple of books. One is "Real Love" by Greg Baer (there is a short review on the book here). It helped many of us at the forum. It shows us what is "Real love" and what is "imitation love". The other book that I would recommend would be "Loving What Is" by Byron Katie (there is a short review on the book here). This is a very practical introduction to Self Inquiry.
Both these books show us how to love ourselves and heal, and in the process heal the world.
Samyama will of course help too. When you get really good at samyama, it takes on a form of self inquiry too. But for now, if you ask me, I would really recommend those 2 book.

Thanks Hemanth.
Go to Top of Page

hemanthks

Canada
59 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2010 :  12:04:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit hemanthks's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You Shanti,

I will sure read those books. Thanks for recommending.

Namaste
Hemanth
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  12:09:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

Love is the stillness we experience when we meditate. Love is the feeling we feel when we see something beautiful, a child, the sunset, a full moon, the ocean, a river flowing, a flower, good food, a hug, a gift, a compliment, an injured puppy.

Love is what we feel when we meet someone we despise or someone that scares us or someone that upsets us or makes us angry... fear and hatred and anger can only exist when there is love... it is a love for something that makes us feel un-love for something else. We love our country so we feel anger toward a country that attacks us. We may not realize we feel love for our country, but if we did not, we would not feel anger toward the other now would we? We feel upset when our football team losses a game, we would not feel upset if we did not love our football team now would we? We don't feel upset when a football team we don't care about losses? We feel threatened, angry, sad when we meet someone we despise... it is because we love the concept of our"self"... if we did not love our"self", we should not be angry, afraid or feel hatred toward another now would we? There has to be love for something, when we feel the opposite toward something else.

We focus more on the negative feeling, we give disproportionate attention to the negative feelings and hence miss the reason for those feelings... "love".

So, although we are not aware we know what love is, we do love. Stillness knows "love"... "love" is this stillness... love is our true nature... love is what manifests everything. So in samyama, even if you don't really know what love is, if you can pick the word and let it go in stillness, stillness will show you what "love" is.
quote:

quote:

If you are so inclined, I would suggest you read a couple of books. One is "Real Love" by Greg Baer (there is a short review on the book here). It helped many of us at the forum. It shows us what is "Real love" and what is "imitation love". The other book that I would recommend would be "Loving What Is" by Byron Katie (there is a short review on the book here). This is a very practical introduction to Self Inquiry.
Both these books show us how to love ourselves and heal, and in the process heal the world.
Samyama will of course help too. When you get really good at samyama, it takes on a form of self inquiry too. But for now, if you ask me, I would really recommend those 2 book.

Thanks Hemanth.

............................................................................................................................................

Thank you, Shanti, this is great!

Sincerely
Rael
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  08:06:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are welcome Rael.

Thank you for starting the topic. I hope samyama is going well for you now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000