Yoga and Relationships
 yoga and relationships/people
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  07:55:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I don't know if its my huge spiritual ego, but when I meditate regularly and get into the inner silence, I have a very hard time relating to 'ordinary people'.. I am spaced out and uninvolved, disinterested.

Its a concern with my relationship..

Anybody gone through this? Any tips?

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  10:30:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you're not getting enough rest coming out of the meditation, leaves you with that "spaced out" feeling
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  11:07:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Tam Phap

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  6:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tam Phap's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jack,

I don't think it has anything to do with a "huge spiritual ego", as you put it. My experience has been that it is a process whereby you become more introspective - not necessarily withdrawn, but more comfortable in "the silence", as it were, and not so apt to fall into "normal" conversations... however, with that said, one thing that I have noticed in my practice is that socially I am far more at ease than I used to be a number of years ago, as I find that I am now far more spontaneous in my interactions with others... the old adage of "think before you speak" has been turned upside down for me in that I find I am able to have a conversation with someone (or not) from a place where everything is "okay". However, as you mention that it is a concern with your relationship... well, I am finding the same thing. It is a concern, but only from the point of view of what I can only term my "old life" and my old way of communicating with my spouse, which was often tainted for some reason with fear, or one of the other not-so-healthy emotions. Now, for the most part, I communicate from a totally different space... in fact, I think that is a very good word to use, as I find that communicating from that calm "space" (whether you're "spaced out" or not...) really seems to be the ground of where I find myself right now.
Go to Top of Page

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  3:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jack

Hi,

I don't know if its my huge spiritual ego, but when I meditate regularly and get into the inner silence, I have a very hard time relating to 'ordinary people'.. I am spaced out and uninvolved, disinterested.

Its a concern with my relationship..

Anybody gone through this? Any tips?

I have struggled a lot with the same. It just means that you are ungrounded. Really its JUST that and not something that represents a "higher" or more "worthy" state. You have too much energy high up in your body and that makes you distant from the world, other people AND yourself. Pull your energy down and the problem goes away.
Try a version of this exercise. It does not have to be with so much intention of "making love with the earth" but can be more "technical" like in Winns version:

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php...h-the-earth/
Go to Top of Page

Steve Kelly

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  09:48:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steve Kelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yoga is a means to ending relationships in the following way:

1. If you take renunciation, you leave your friends and family behind for a life of spirituality.
2. If you practice Yoga properly you will develop greater clarity of mind, which will also induce you to introspect on what is working in your life and what is not. What is not working you abandon. This practice is known as Vivek & Vairagya.
3. When you reach the final stages of Yoga, Kaivalya(aloneness) you no longer see or have any personal relationships, all of humanity is one for you. Your mother, as much as the stranger on the street.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  9:38:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jack,

Very common, and definitely happened/happens to me. I used to get very withdrawn and quiet, unable to speak, after intense meditation. Still can do. It can be a sign of over-doing it.

I agree with someone above's comment that generally, I'm so much easier with people and more spontaneous now. I'm unrecognizable. Where once I was shy, all social anxiety is gone.

But that's after 5 years practice with self pacing. There were times of greater introversion along the way.

best,

Josh
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2018 :  08:04:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mr_anderson

Hi Jack,

Very common, and definitely happened/happens to me. I used to get very withdrawn and quiet, unable to speak, after intense meditation. Still can do. It can be a sign of over-doing it.

I agree with someone above's comment that generally, I'm so much easier with people and more spontaneous now. I'm unrecognizable. Where once I was shy, all social anxiety is gone.

But that's after 5 years practice with self pacing. There were times of greater introversion along the way.

best,

Josh

Just wanted to say thanks to these helpful answers here. I experience similar things as Jack right now and am very comforted by those answers. Helps to know it might turn out well in the long run
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000