Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Bhakti and Karma Yoga
 How do you remind yourself of the greater aim?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  2:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I mean - one can practice for several reasons - to feel good, to be happier, to have better relationships, to attain Oneness, to attain special powers or Siddhis, etc. Ultimately I believe a "healthy" development must incorporate some kind of moral or ethical guidelines, i.e. Love, Goodness, Service. That is why Yogis incorporated the Yamas and Niyamas into their programs, as have many, if not all, the other traditions.

Nevertheless I have the feeling these aims are often forgotten of sidelined, gotten out of sight, as we can get distracted with surfacing powers, or even dillemas or doubts in our path. Or distracted with the excitement gotten from all the wonderful practices and openings we are experiencing.

So I wanted to ask you: how do you keep reminding yourselves, every day, of those higher goals? What do you do to remind yourself of what it all all about, which at the core, doesn't really change from start to finish? Does it halp to do some kind of routine (i.e. praying, kneeling with devotion, etc.) to reminds us of this?

Thanks.

Edited by - YogaIsLife on Mar 10 2010 2:04:17 PM

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  2:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi YogaIsLife

For me, I take a moment before each yoga practice to dedicate the benefits of the practice to all sentient beings. This helps to remind myself that it is not about me....that it is about a much larger picture, and that I am merely an instrument for Divine flow. Don't know if this would work for anyone else, but it works for me.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  5:16:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi YIL,

The overarching motivation for my practice is to become Diving Outpouring Love as Yogani eloquently puts it, to uplift in someway (however small) everyone I come in contact with (obviously I've still got a long way to go ).

Sometimes I sit with that intention in my mind before practices and sometimes I don't. The great thing I have found since I started AYP is that the yamas and niyamas arose on their own as practices continued to deepen, regardless of whether I was consciously thinking about them or not. Bad habits started to fall away, unhealthy interests lost interest to me...almost effortless (except for the continued practices). For all of the yamas/niyamas I've tried to "force" b/c I knew it was the "right" thing to do (and there are quite a few), I've had much more limited success in sticking to (particularly proper diet...darn ice cream gets me everytime...)

But it seems like setting the intention before practices would be a great way to "set the table" and remind ourselves of what our ishta is and what is fueling our bhakti...

Much Love to You
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  6:50:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi YIL

quote:
Originally posted by YogaIsLife

Does it halp to do some kind of routine (i.e. praying, kneeling with devotion, etc.) to reminds us of this?

For me, praying does. But in my case it's not a "routine"... it's very informal. I'm not the devotional type so I just say something brief to God in my own words. And express some gratitude for life. Nothing formal, it just comes from the heart.

But honestly, meditation itself has become my reminder. Like Parallax, I also find that yamas/niyamas happen more and more naturally, through meditation.

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  1:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys for your views. You confirmed some of my suspitions. I now include a small routine, quite informal, very much like Cosmic describes.
Go to Top of Page

porcupine

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  10:45:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit porcupine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
honestly, i don't think there is a real method here, and the best bet is to stop trying, because innately, we remind ourselves, or life reminds us, in my opinion that is the greater aim, to be able to life, and let go completely, trust oneself to be totally free, and be alright when putting that into practice, this is what i have found to be the true yoga
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000