Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Pilgrimage
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mystiq

India
62 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  04:20:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit mystiq's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I live in the South of India, in a state called Kerala.On the 7th of jan 2006, I visited a very famous temple called Moogambika at the foothills of the Godajadri ranges.Moogambika is a very old temple and the deity is the divine mother godess which we at AYP think of as within us in the form of Kundalini..It is a pilgrimage for tantriks and those involved in meditative and creative pursuits. I found many european (meaning caucasian) ladies in saffron meditating in the temple. I took a room in a hotel nearby and found the customary AYP meditation very stirring in the vicinity of the temple. A two hour jeep (SUV) ride up a mountain road, which was more suicidal than adventerous because of the vehicle lurching violently and attempting to throw itself down the steep cliff, with its owercrowded passengers, ended in a beautiful small temple on the mountain top with the deity Moola Moogambika or original goddess claiming to have been there for thousands of years. A short hike up the hillside leads to the cave where Adi Shankaracharya (most revered of hindu saints) meditated. There are some hermits meditating in the nearby forests. In all I would recomend the visit to this powerfull place.

mystiq

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  10:38:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, Mystiq - that sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing that.
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  11:19:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari OM
~~~~~~~
Hello Mystiq
Wonderful!!!
I am in great hopes of visiting India ( 2008); My intent (with HIS blessings) is to visit the Dwadasa Jyotirlinga shrines or the 12 shrines of Shiva in the form of a Jyotirlingam.
Many stories go with this, but for one studying Jyotish ,it is part of the tradition. My focus is that of Rameswaram (Pandya Naadu)here Sri Ram has been said to visit. These temples are closely linked with legends from the puranas.

Peace

Frank In San Diego
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  11:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Mystiq,
You are indeed fortunate to live where you do.I hope to visit temples in southern India when next I return.My guru is a Tamil, born in Bombay.She took me to some wonderful places.We visited Nasik, Triambak and Shirdi.We set off at 2.30am to visit Shirdi to experience the awakening ceremony of Shri Sai Baba which was a marvellous experience.I visited the prison of Sita in Nasik and the foot of the mountain where Lord Hanuman was reputedly born.In all of the temples we visited ( I lost count how many)I could feel the energies from the idols but sadly none at all in the only Christian church I visited in Nasik.When I visited camp Hanuman in Ahmedabad my guru gave the priest a few rupees and was given a wad of cottonwool.This is dipped in perfume and wiped over the surface of the idol of Lord Hanuman.Then she told me to prepare for an amazing experience. When she rubbed the wad down the centre of my forehead it lit up with the energy. I was amazed but I can't discount the experience.All in all it's an amazing country.
L&L
Dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'
Go to Top of Page

mystiq

India
62 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  05:12:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit mystiq's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear friends, as some of you have appreciated the recount of my pilgrimage I will tell about the rest of it.First I would like to clarify that the Moogambika temple is in the state of Karnataka, not kerala. The launching pad of visiting this place is the small but beautiful port city of Mangalore. The day after I left Moogambika I left for a place called Coorg, a 4 hour bus ride east from Mangalore up the hills to an elevation of 4000ft. This is coffee country, with coffee plantations all around. The capital of Coorg is a small town called Mercara, and this was a British station for many centuries. The original people of this place are beleved to be descendants of a faction of the Greek army of Alexander the Great, who deserted when they attacked North India. Sick of fighting they supposedly hid in Coorg. Thirty km form Mercara is a Tibetian settlement at Bylokuppa. About 3000 acres of land was given to them by the Government of India in the 60s when they were mercilessly butchered and driven from their own country by the Chinese. There is a magnificient Buddhist monastry built by them here, with a golden Buddha statue 80 ft high flanked by two other ststues 65 ft high. The walls are fully covered with tibetian Tantric mural paintings, depicting various aspects of the tantric sexual union. I was lucky to participate in a chanting session where rows of monks maybe 1000 sat facing eact other, accompanied my grand cymbals, long mountain horns, and massive drums which hung from stands. The chanting was out of the world with different groups chanting different mantras in different meters. I could feel uncontrollable waves of pleasure riding up my spine to the tune of the chants.Unlike in Indian temples the place was spotlessly clean and so beautifully maintained, with carefully manicured lawns that one would think that it was closest to paradise

mystiq
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000