Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 This is a bit overwhelming, call for help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  4:27:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
What happened generally felt good, but it happened so fast, I feel I need to gather your wisdom, experience and knowledge to ride safe. Namaste!

Since Tuesday, every night when I got into sleep, something kind of intense started to going on, which I now recognize as automatic yoga practice. The experiences are described in some details below. Any comment, warning, responses will be appreciated!

Before going to the experience, the central concerns are: why every time I sleep, yoga will be on automatically, to the point of almost another one is using me to do his/her yoga. I feel I'm a bit attracted to the experience and am seeking for help to manage this. Especially when sleeping, when the kundalini is moving around creating fireworks, my mind is distracted. Can I use mantra to dispel the thought and draw my consciousness back from the firework? Is it safe if I call for an end of the going on by forcing myself out of sleep? (I was awake while the body is in a sleeping state.) How can keep untempted by the kundalini fireworks? Help!

Let me start from the experience last night and this afternoon, as they are more dramatic and less comprehensible to me.

[Night Thursday.] So last night I found myself observing my metabolism. Then, the energy came with a more refined form, an energy field that curves very slowly, gently rocking me inside. The heart space became what it concentrated on. I felt a big blockage was melted in the flow. Then it goes up to the neck and pushing the spine there from inward out and then from outside in. felt something slackened. While this was going on, I no longer detect my breathing, hardly heart beating too. Weird.
Then it started to work on my legs again, making them doing wavy movements. Then it became more dramatic: first it’s a systematic moving around of the joints. Then several fits of rapid, strong exhalations. Then, heads moved backward all the way, lifting upper body up, mouth wide open, exhaled like a big yawn. Then, even more strange, throat moved up and down very rapidly. Arms started to move at the same time, two palms run down the body with exhalations, then upward and forward. Eye lids and brows squeezing quickly, making tears. More big yawns. Tongue stretched all the way back and forward, really hard. Then it started to tap the upper placate really fast, then rolled in the moved real fast, too.

This afternoon, I felt the wavy energy and did some biking to ground the kundalini. I felt a bit tired and tried to read, but then I found myself "sleeping" again, with my chin lowered down to chest, tongue sticking up to upper palate. and when this is up, head back I did the big yawn again, with both nose holes wide open.

The previous two nights were beginning of energy moving inside, body movement with it, and sometimes, I suspect a stopped breathing and very rare heart beating. It was fine till this morning at 4-5am I did all the crazy body movements and felt like had a bad dream. It seems that whenever I sleep or nap the yogi will take the chance to do his yoga. It is fine when it's gentle, but I don't think wild body movement with big sound of exhaling at 4am is a good thing for me and my roommates. Also, doze off in yoga in class room can be embarrassing, too. I still would like to keep the mild yoga in sleep, but am looking for a way to moderate it, curbing its enthusiasm. Any ideas, suggestions?
How to pull me off from the experience? How to dispel attachment to fireworks in my sleep, and have some control over what's going on in sleep? These are the things that I need most help with. Thank you in advance for your contributing your wisdom on this!

Phil

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  7:38:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Phil, I get a similar experience as well and although I do enjoy it I can end up not getting enough sleep. One thing that seems to help is not to do practices too close to bedtime, but rather let the evening end more mundanely with maybe a book or tv or something. Otehrwise I too wouldn't mind hearing about ways to manage these experiences because very often I will be tired, crawl into bed and then have my body go into automatic movements and deep releases that can keep me up for some time.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  12:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This issue has been addressed several times here. Learn to ground yourself and build up a routine. Otherwise you might mess yourself up.

Search "grounding" or "ground" in this forum.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=6550#58636
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  05:10:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Philaboston

Thank you for sharing your experiences.
What does your practice routine look like for the moment? I know from your previous posts that you practice Spinal Breathing Pranayama and Deep Meditation. Anything else? How long is your twice daily meditation session?

In AYP Self-Pacing is a key element. That is, we see to it that our practice is balanced and safe so that it allows for a consistant, long-term, twice daily cultivation of inner silence and ecstatic conductivity.

It is the long term engagement in meditation that brings the result that we long for, any experience we have along the way is of much less importance. It is directly experiencing the fact.. to whom.... all this happens (what we are in essence) that will bring release from suffering so that we discover ourselves resting as unending inner peace. That is why we practice.....in order to go beyond all we currently imagine....to find ourselves as that which cannot be objectified or conceptualized.....only tasted through direct experience. So we meditate - because deep meditation has proven itself to be a powerful tool for coming to this direct fact of our immense, blissful self. That is all.

Therefore - our first priority is to see to it that we can meditate regularly and consistantly. And we cannot do that if we are overwhelmed by energy symptoms or too much purification.

It sounds like you need to self-pace (reduce the time you spend in meditation and increase grounding activities). The first link below is to the "Building a daily practice with self-pacing" forum. The second link is to Yoganis lesson 38 - on self-pacing.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=18
http://www.aypsite.org/38.html

Hope this helps :)

All the best
Go to Top of Page

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  11:50:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Phil, I've never had such intense automatic yoga in my sleep, but I've had that experience of going into an asleep-yet-aware state and also a lot of automatic yoga during my sitting meditation (mostly movements of the neck, twisting of the torso and occassionally shaking of the arms or whole body). My general reaction is just to let it happen, neither encouraging nor trying to stop it. In the case of sleep I'd also suggest to remain impassively observing unless it becomes too intense, in which case I don't think there's any problem trying to force yourself awake. I once had an experience of feeling like I was floating outside of my body and looking down at it during sleep. My qigong teacher told me in that case to just touch my own body in order to safely return to it.

In terms of mellowing the intensity of it, I'd say Victor has the right idea--maybe reduce practice time a bit and definitely not right before bed. Eating a heavier meal, especially close to bedtime will also help. Energy doesn't move as much if it's engaged with digestion. To a certain extent you just have to ride these sorts of things out, though. In my experience, once certain energy experiences and openings begin to happen you just have to let them play themselves out till your system readjusts.

I think the main thing is deciding whether or not the symptoms were bothersome enough to interfere with practice or daily life. In terms of minor symptoms, I think you can just ignore them and carry on, chalking them up to ongoing inner purification. As you continue practice you will get used to all kinds of unusual such symptoms, but they come and go, gradually smoothing out a lot. If symptoms become too intense then you just have to "self pace" as described above and elsewhere. When I was having that intense energy experience I've told you about, one of the most helpful things was definitely going for long walks. Your cycling might help, but I think there's also something about the dropping of your feet onto the ground and the leisurely pace of a walk that are especially grounding.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  9:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your help and support!

I have to add that the dramatic leg movements are probably due to the fact that my legs are weaker and stiffer than normal. (actually I was once paralysed when was 16.) But after that episode, my legs are warmer and stronger and lighter every day. Very fast healing process!

I had a great deep sleep last night: after 8 hours of party time, I came back and passed over. All I did is to reduce 5mines pranayama.
To Katrine, I have been meditating for 3 months now, adding pranyama 2-3 weeks ago. Just passed the clunky stage. I tried samyama and solar enchancement, but felt a bit too much. So I dropped both immediately. (but today the solar enhancement just happened "naturally.")
To tamasaburo, Thank you for sharing your experience! Now when I'm walking, moving my head, I feel that I'm behind all the biological process and watching it happening. At first, it tended to drive me nut a bit. But now I realize it's probably beginning of the emergence of the witness.
There is no more dramatic auto yoga. But there's some of the tongue, throat, mouth movements occurring after meditation, becoming part of my meditation routine. I think they actually help to "ground" the energy, or to send the energy down from head passing throat, to be more specific. Since there are many people here seem to have head pressure, excessive energy, I hope I'll be able to figure out what I did (mostly a inside process, and I still cannot do it right volitionally.) and share them with you all.
Finally, what is interesting is that some of the auto yoga seem very much typical Taoist practice, which I never did before...
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  01:10:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Philaboston
Finally, what is interesting is that some of the auto yoga seem very much typical Taoist practice, which I never did before...

No, its just that you are doing something now that the person who did several years ago later came to be known as a 'Taoist practice'. You can name the thing you are doing now Faoist or Yoga or anything you like. It does not matter.

What matters is there is a universal energy that runs through all of us and it awaits and awaits and awaits...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000