Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 blocking the thoughts meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boris

Norway
68 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  7:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit boris's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
have anybody here tried to stop the thoughts at will ,not using mantra or breath or anything else as a tool.just blocking them as fast as you notice them
I have actually had some powerfull experience with it

Serpent

5 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  12:58:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Serpent's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, this is called "vacancy of mind" or just pure silence. Many traditions do this type of meditation, like Zen for example.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  7:54:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What you resist persists.... if you "try" to keep thoughts away during meditation you will be in for a huge struggle with your mind... this will lead to frustrations and soon you will give up meditation. The best is to let the thoughts stay but gently bring your mind back to the mantra as described in the lesson on Deep Meditation. As you continue, the silence will increase and one day you will realize you actually meditated without any thoughts. It is a process cultivating the stillness and not of fighting the thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

boris

Norway
68 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  2:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit boris's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I belive every meditation involes blocking thoughts.like in ayp meditation the mantra blocks the thoughts to some degree.it depends on how much force you use(concentration).and after some blocking the thoughst usually slows down and you can relax the blocking more and more and enter stillness.
I have done many years of meditation,and I know that It is usually adviced to meditate the way Shanti says.but of all the methods I have tried,I think bolcking the thoughts with much concentration is the meditation that gives the most powerfull results in shortest time.I dont day this is the best meditation,I am just curious what others who have done this type of meditation says about this method.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  02:59:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by boris

but of all the methods I have tried,I think bolcking the thoughts with much concentration is the meditation that gives the most powerfull results in shortest time.

Have you observed your breathing alters/slows down immediately when you do this?
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  05:10:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi boris, i tried it for a while but it backfired like Shanti said... the best way to handle such matter is to be aware of our body, thoughts and actions in our every day life and do a slight little Self inquiry every now and then.. then automatically an Awareness will start to creep in and you will see them thoughts stopping by themselves and you'll stay more and more in the gap between thoughts as time progresses...

namaste
Go to Top of Page

RO0o

Argentina
40 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  08:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit RO0o's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't you need thoughts to stop thoughts?
Recognize a thought, stop the thought, wait for a thought...
Thinking 'there are no more thoughts'...oh no I'm thinking.
I believe as long as I/ego have a goal (stop thoughts) in meditation, it will have a mental process to reach it, to analize its progress, to comment on its effectiveness, am I there already?...and all that considering you lost awareness of the body.
Go to Top of Page

boris

Norway
68 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  11:57:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit boris's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by manigma

quote:

but of all the methods I have tried,I think bolcking the thoughts with much concentration is the meditation that gives the most powerfull results in shortest time.

Have you observed your breathing alters/slows down immediately when you do this?

yes,breathing slows down.But it is important to not thightening the head and the mind when you concentrate on blocking the thoughts.I find that thightening of the mind when you concentrate will not help,but the opposite.
To learn to block the thoughts with a relaxed mind is a key factor to succeed with this method I belive.

Edited by - boris on Mar 10 2010 12:04:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  12:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"blocking thoughts" is still engaging the mind...it's just a sneakier way the mind has found to convince you it's really out of the way, when it's in actuality still running the show... ;)

Simply returning to mantra, or breath, is the refusal to let mind call the shots at all; the only way to drop mind "out of the loop" as it were...
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  12:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
yes,breathing slows down.But it is important to not thightening the head and the mind when you concentrate on blocking the thoughts.I find that thightening of the mind when you concentrate will not help,but the opposite.
To learn to block the thoughts with a relaxed mind is a key factor to succeed with this method I belive.

When you say blocking thoughts do you mean dropping thoughts. So if a thought comes up you drop it, next thought drop it.. and so on?
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  5:25:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What he means is stopping through intention. Everything stops excluding my heartbeat.

When I first came in touch with "this all" 5 years ago, through continious try-out I somehow managed to relax into not-thinking which resulted in immense joy but only for a short time. The method was stopping and relaxing into not thinking.

It is most probably the most direct way, but how long can you do it. Testing it now: "I just can manage it" for some seconds till the body wants to breath again.

mhhh.. ^^

Not good to see that 5 years ago I knew the best method already =P Yea, the mind knows how to cheat you, or in other words, god kows how to play this =P

Edited by - Holy on Mar 10 2010 5:26:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  5:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the things I think Yogani has spoken of is that the process of deep meditation is a moving toward (the mantra), rather than a pushing away from (the thoughts). Letting the mantra refine, even if the mind goes off into thoughts. Eventually, the mantra refines and goes less to thoughts and more to bliss/silence.

I learned this the hard way, as I had so many thoughts during meditation, I would think thoughts for 18 minutes and repeat the mantra for 2 minutes. So I tried to beat the thoughts down with the mantra...using the mantra like a club. That did not work particularly well (OK not at all...).

Then I re-read Secrets of Wilder about how the mantra eventually refines from I AM to i am...softer, fuzzier, more genetle...and that has made a world of difference for me.

Hope this makes some sort of sense

Much Love
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  6:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Need to corret my last post: To decrease the strain of the body, better clean off the causes in the spine through SBP and through DM bring forth the witness. Then anything can happen and nothing needs to happen.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  01:22:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by manigma

quote:

You see? The slower the breathing... lesser the thoughts.

You can either concetrate on stoping the thoughts or slow down your breathing. Its the same thing.

Breathing has to be slowed down... very slow. (Vipassana)

Thoughts are directly realted with your breathing. When the breathing slows down, you relax.

Relaxed body/mind = Lesser thoughts.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000