Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Are There (Reliable) Benchmarks?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tomllee

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  1:15:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Are there (any fixed and) reliable benchmarks that tell you where you stand in relation to beginning to meditate and having the consistent rising of ecstatic bliss, heart meltdown and enlightenment? Something along the lines of scale where 0 equals "Never have meditated in this life nor any other" and ten means "Enlightened and Off the Wheel?

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  4:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tomllee

quote:
Are there (any fixed and) reliable benchmarks that tell you where you stand in relation to beginning to meditate and having the consistent rising of ecstatic bliss, heart meltdown and enlightenment? Something along the lines of scale where 0 equals "Never have meditated in this life nor any other" and ten means "Enlightened and Off the Wheel?

Yes - there are benchmarks...or milestones as we call them here. You can read more about them in Yoganis lesson no 35 here:

http://www.aypsite.org/35.html

There is also a forum category here called Enlightenment Milestones, where many posters have shared their own experience:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=27

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

The effects of Deep Meditation (which is the heart of AYP) and other AYP practices are immediate. It is just that we don't necessarily notice them immediately. But gradually trust grows along with the rising of inner silence, and from then on we are taken

Enjoy the read
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  4:14:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani gives some ideas within the various books. The one I remember most of was the book on self inquiry which gave indication of the rising levels of silence and the witness.

I think it's different for everybody really. A bit like climbing a mountain and not being able to see the top or the bottom. Most times you are just moving in a roughly upward direction, sometimes it levels and sometimes it dips and you can neither tell for how long or how far they will last. Although there might be a bottom to the mountain you have no idea where that is or if there is a top so just keep climbing.

Think of it as a flow, once begun there will be change, that's how it works. Just enjoy the journey is the best advice I can offer.
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  4:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PS

You can check out Yoganis Self Inquiry book here:

http://www.aypsite.org/books-si-contents.html
Go to Top of Page

tomllee

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  5:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Man! You guys are good!! And quick, too! Thanks to all of you. The activity I have been experiencing is very strong and very smooth. It seems to intensify more and more quickly. It's got me a little bit scared despite the beauty of it (Anything this wonderful, especially if it has anything to do with sexual energy, has got to be evil and a trick of the Devil - my Southern Baptist upbringing) You're input operated at the level of reminding me to trust the process.

I am amazed that there are people out there who would take my query so seriously, even tenderly, without being at all condescending at my naivete. I read the damn book but keep forgetting how much is in there.

I have noticed that when I read comments posted in support of my efforts, some I like, some I don't, some strike me as helpful, some as not, but it all seems to be exactly what I need to hear (see?).

In any case, thank you for caring enough to respond and to steer me in the right direction. What a wonderful community you have here.

Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  03:52:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I love what Karl says here - it's true. You never quite know where you are, just trust that you are generally making progress. I sometimes experience advanced milestones, but get stuck on basic ones; experiences are not constant (yet!) and I have no control over them. There are exciting times, where you seem to be makng good progress e.g. outpouring of divine love remains a day or two, then disappears for months... then I can't even seem to be able to go into the silence. It's there present, whirling around me but I am not in it! Frustrating.
Oh ! sorry, I'm off at a tangent.
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  07:56:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tomilee,

You will find some of the best human beings on this forum.

Krish
Go to Top of Page

tomllee

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  8:55:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Katrine, Thanks for the leads. I checked them out and they helped. I have started reading Yogani's book on Self-Inquiry. Not sure how much of it I understand or how well I understand it, but reading it feels right and necessary. Thanks for that recommendation as well. Thanks to SeyCorciere and Karl for the suggestion that I be wary of how closely I compare my experiences to others. And krcquimpro1, you are so right!

Tommy
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  10:49:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

I love what Karl says here - it's true. You never quite know where you are, just trust that you are generally making progress. I sometimes experience advanced milestones, but get stuck on basic ones;

Very true, Sey. Also, sometimes many signs of progress go unnoticed because we've gotten through them and moved on. If you look in hindsight at where your life was a year ago (or more), you might be surprised what you see. You might be amazed how beautiful your life is.

I find it's good to look back in times when we feel stuck. It usually brings appreciation and puts everything in perspective.

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000