Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Eating Before Meditation and Pranayama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  11:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear Buddies,

It is suggested we not eat prior to Meditation/Pranayama. Is this only because it stimulates the digestive process, and thus makes the body functions more distracting?

Sometimes i have a very small snack if i am too spacey and ungrounded, in order to bring my blood-sugar up and to keep my body/mind hooked-up.

Is there anything inherently dangerous in having food in the system beofe these practices or any others?

Thank you much

Love

Rael

insideout

USA
44 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  12:37:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit insideout's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Rael,

Eating before practices is not ideal, but it's not dangerous. I've done it many times without ill effect. Here are a couple of quotes from Yogani on the subject:
  • "It is best done before meals, as digestion can interfere with the process of meditation." - Lesson 13
  • "Meditating before eating is preferred, so meditation will not be competing with digestion." - Lesson 226
Although it may not be the optimal time to meditate, if it ensures that you will do your practices consistently, do it. Even meditating after stuffing yourself at a buffet right before bed is better than waiting for "a better time tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  01:11:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would be much more catious about this rule with pranayama or asana than meditation. Not much harm can coem from sitting quietly doing mantra even after eating however doing demanding exercises such as asana or deep sensitive focus on the breath that is also quite challanging in the case of pranayama should not be done with food in the stomach or you are likely get discomfort and distraction and possibly a minor level of injury depending on the practice if you make a habit of it.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  02:28:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Completely agree with Victor. In case my case, I get indigestion if I eat before asanas or pranayama.
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  04:30:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for all the replies, my friends!

Victor....that is what i am really wondering, what sort of "injury" is possible?

Though i only eat small, easily digestible snacks when i am desperate, and not meals,

it would still be good to know what the worst-case scenario looks like.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  05:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely main injury would be indigestion or uncomfortable practice but there are definite cautions by pretty much all teachers about it.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  10:34:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  10:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you eat before SBP, then there are likely to be disruptions caused as a result of burping or belching, that can occur in the middle of an SBP breath cycle. Also any gurgling or other stomach noises can be distracting.

Krish

Edited by - krcqimpro1 on Feb 25 2010 02:26:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  12:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by krcqimpro1

If you eat before SBP, then there is likely to be disruptions caused as a result of burping oe belching, that can occur in the middle of an SBP breath cycle. Also any gurgling or other stomach noises can be distracting.

Krish

I agree. That's why I prefer to drink (not eat) if blood-sugar feels too low. However, if you've happened to eat before meditation, vajrasana (on/between your heels) makes a calming posture for your digestion. Ayur veda advocates 15 minutes' vajrasana after meals, to prevent digestive disorders.
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  12:40:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Wow, very useful answers coming down the line...thank you so much everyone!

Love

Rael!
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  02:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Drinking a little water before meditation, is advised.

Krish
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  01:00:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by krcqimpro1

Drinking a little water before meditation, is advised.

Krish

Thank you Krish!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000