Gurus, Sages and Higher Beings
 Ramana Maharshi
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2006 :  11:28:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Considered by many to be the epitome of Realization, has anyone else been inspired by him or his teachings?

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  02:50:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
He's the greatest of the great. He's one of the few who surrendered both with his head and with his heart. He cut through a LOT of b.s. and he paved the way for AYP and other clear practice. Unfortunately, his followers have turned him into a God and worship him as if he were Krishna or something.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  12:59:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ramana Maharshi is amazing.

Jim said:
Unfortunately, his followers have turned him into a God and worship him as if he were Krishna or something.

It seems to be 'par for the course' unfortunately, in some form or another, in the various yoga schools up until now. Even when the founder is not literally worshipped, he is bedecked with a halo and vaulted into demi-god status.

Now, listen up all of you, we aren't going to do that with Yogani, are we?

He deserves better!

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jan 17 2006 1:00:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eddy

USA
92 Posts

Posted - May 06 2007 :  12:08:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eddy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

He's the greatest of the great. He's one of the few who surrendered both with his head and with his heart. He cut through a LOT of b.s. and he paved the way for AYP and other clear practice. Unfortunately, his followers have turned him into a God and worship him as if he were Krishna or something.

i've had the priveledge of spending a week at the ramana ashram in queens ny and it is true that people become dogmatic about a man who i don't think wanted people to be dogmatic at all.... same goes with osho and nisargadatta.. these are my three favorite gurus
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 06 2007 :  12:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All

I have read only one book by Ramana Maharshi ("Be as you are") - from the cover to the end, it has me in this deep, unfathomable Joy. Together with Nisargadatta ("I am That").....Ramana plows a broad, beautifully lit space within me, that slowly "cooks" my love of knowledge and transforms it into the love of the Devine. I read them again and again. A little at a time. There is so much...........

between the lines.

When i am ripe (when I can tolerate all that light), I will read all of their scriptures.
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 06 2007 :  12:31:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
and.....oh, yes

It is the ongoing result of Ramana and Nisargadatta that I worship.

The Silence, the Light - and the ever expanding understanding in all spheres of life.

Within us all

Go to Top of Page

shivakm

USA
41 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  9:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit shivakm's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was fortunate to read some of Ramana Maharishi's conversations with various people when I was young. It had a great impact on me. His simple method of self inquiry ("Who am I?") made me go inside deep. But somewhere along the line, I forgot about this whole thing.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  11:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Katrine, have you ever been to the Edgar Cayce Library?

My parents lived in Virginia Beach before I was born, and so were familiar with the area enough that at some point they moved back here. I have been so blessed to live 20 minutes from this library. It has so many books. Muktananda, Ramana, Rajneesh/Osho, Yogananana, and every other book you could think of. I pray that not to have a miracle but simply notice that miracles are like petals in an eternally blooming flower.

At times when my energy is up and I am in that space, I go there and read a book. Take a few days, but it is so lovely. Right across the street is Virginia Beach, and the meditation garden is lovely.

I've read a book of Ramana's discourses, and he was awesome to read.

I haven't read I am That, though I've seen it there many times. So you think I should pick it up then?

Edited by - Kyman on May 26 2007 11:34:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  12:26:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kyman

No....i have never been to Edgar Cayce Library. Other than Music studies in Austin, TX back in 1981-83 I have lived in Oslo all my life. All those wonderful books......it sounds wonderful!

I did live across a Library though....when I grew up. And my mother was a librarian downtown.....so books were my first love. (Next after her, of course )

Read "I am that".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000