AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 More books for non duality ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  12:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Carrying on from the essential reading thread.

I was wondering when enough books are enough books.

I have 'I am that', 'loving what is', 'Be as you are' and the AYP book.

Everything makes perfect sense about non duality and there have been glimpses through the mist. I know that as I write this I'm only writing to myself and that because of this act of writing it indicates that the dream is as strong as ever. I know it is not something to be gained that I already am 'that' and 'that' is only a concept in itself because it is beyond words. I carry on with the day to day practises and work on self inquiry during the normal day.

Then I read the post on essentially reading. Tam Phaps post about the book Adyashanti - The End of Your World interested me and I went and had a look at the site.

Adyashanti points out the falling points and difficulties with Self Enquiry and I could relate but suddenly thought of the things written in other books on the subject - Books are only one thing, useful but not true knowledge. It leaves me with a dilema, do I buy the book and find it helpful or is it just picking up another lump of information to be added to my extensive memory banks that are bursting at the seams with Yoga/NLP/Self Enquiry.

Anyone else get that

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  10:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

Adyashanti points out the falling points and difficulties with Self Enquiry and I could relate but suddenly thought of the things written in other books on the subject - Books are only one thing, useful but not true knowledge. It leaves me with a dilema, do I buy the book and find it helpful or is it just picking up another lump of information to be added to my extensive memory banks that are bursting at the seams with Yoga/NLP/Self Enquiry.

Anyone else get that

Hi Karl,

At the end of Adyashanti's Emptiness Dancing, there's an interview with Adyashanti (conducted by Tami Simon, of Sounds True).

In it, Adya says something very interesting, about spiritual reading:

"Even though I talk a lot in my teaching, as a lot of spiritual teachers do, about how you can't comprehend awakening with your mind and at some point you have to go beyond books and reading, at the same time I look back at my experience and I see that even though I never found the realization of truth in a book, because you can't, reading has played a very significant role.

It was double-edged. It got in the way at times - with concepts, and ideas, and competing concepts - but reading has also been a very important part of my journey, too. I used books to help me flush things out in my own mind. They helped me become clear about certain things.

In that sense, I think the intellectual side of spirituality - which is often downplayed, and for good reason - is often undervalued. Although you can't find the truth in a book, books are often the way we connect certain dots in our heads ... and in our hearts.

Sometimes books can open us in really significant ways."

Then he adds:

"If you hit the right book at the right time, it can spark a recognition."

This has been my experience, as well.

On the one hand, thinking and intellect are the cloud-cover which obscures enlightenment. On the other hand, certain insights which can come from reading and considering information, can help us to open past limited thinking mind.

In truth, intellect can't get us all the way (to living awareness of) home, but neither can action alone; both play a part ... because they're two facets of the same thing (shakti, form, movement; awareness manifesting).

How do we know if we're going to gain insight or not? Or if we may be indulging our ego-mind's tendency to want to know-know-know?

We don't.

All we can do is do our best to be balanced .... "Neither accept nor reject; simply rest in the true nature of the self" as Abhinavagupta says.

(Which is a fairly huge clue, right there ...... if it's that easy, the true nature of the self can't be too far away ... yet if it's so close, how do we find it? "See Above." <- We don't find it; we ARE it ... right here .... prior to all that consideration and evaluation.)

Another aspect of Kashmir Shaivism I love, is its formalizing the shifting of the chains that bind us (language, words, intellect) into the very tools (language, words, intellect) which liberate us into this that we all always ever are, now.

I was a voracious reader, prior to realizing reality. I'm still a fairly voracious reader. At some point, it shifted from getting information to *know*, to gaining information to *share* (example: I can share this post, because I remember reading that interview, a few years back. ).

And I have no idea when that happened.

Just as I have no idea what books were motivated by thinking and desire ... and which were the inspired guidance of inner guru ...... because once it all resolves, it's seen that there's really no difference at all.

There's only what we're conscious of at any moment ... or not.

And so, if a book feels interesting .... heck, read it. Why not? You will or you won't, anyway.

(HINT: This is all INFINITELY more simple than thinking lets it be.)

"Do whatever you want, and meditate."
~Swami Lakshmanjoo

"Non-Duality includes books, and reading, and stuff. All of it."

~Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  03:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, that is a great reply. I experienced a sense of non duality for a couple of days, it seems like a dream or simply scenery now and it's just so much like one of those 3D paintings that you stare at for a long time before the picture appears and then you lose it and can't quite figure out where the key went or if you ever actually had it. At the time it was simple and obvious and now, despite knowing and doing exactly the same things that sudden emergence is either no longer obvious or has vanished.

Looking at the Adya website there were several things that pricked my interest and one was the getting and losing experience which can be frustrating. I shall go right ahead and buy it.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  04:19:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again Kirtanman. Bought the book and have already found it to a great help. Love the bit about the 'superior' man, it definitely resonates
Go to Top of Page

Tam Phap

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  11:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tam Phap's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl,
Glad Adya's book is of help... I find he has a real knack for using words that can help ease us towards realization of "the unexplainable". I find that Mooji is also very good in this regard. As Kirtanman mentioned in relating one of Adya's statements - "If you hit the right book at the right time, it can spark a recognition." This has been the case for me - actually one was a statement made by Ajahn Sumedho - "All thoughts are garbage" and the other by "Sailor" Bob Adamson in just the title of one of his books - "Whats Wrong With Right Now - Unless You Think About It".
Back to books - I think the one that really has really clarified things greatly for me is Robert Adams' book - Silence of the Heart.
Best wishes in your journey!
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  7:27:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

Thanks again Kirtanman. Bought the book and have already found it to a great help. Love the bit about the 'superior' man, it definitely resonates

Hi Karl,

You're very welcome! I actually missed your responses until today; my apologies
.. and I'm very happy to hear that my post was helpful!

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000