Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 SB and Increased Sexual Energy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WSH

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  5:58:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Hello All,

I just started doing the AYP spinal breathing pranayama in addition to the practice of Deep meditation. I have been doing this for a week now and it seems to be going well.

I previously scaled back my DM to fifteen minutes because I was having irritability issues when doing the full twenty. So my routine now is simply five minutes of SB followed by 15 minutes of DM followed by 5 to 10 minutes of rest. I have not noticed any increased irritability issues arise by following this routine, however another issues has arose.

I have practiced pranayama in the past and the same problem always surfaces and it is again happening with the AYP method, increased sexual energy! This often leads to occasional excessive sexual thoughts, fantasy or lust. This does not seem to be entirely unique for me in regards to pranayama it seems to also go hand in hand with increased spiritual practice.

I am trying not to judge myself for this because I think without some level of lust most of us would not be here. What is a problem is that when the thoughts become excessive it can be uncomfortable and then I find the only way to relieve the tension is to relieve myself either by my own doing or with the help of my wife. This often helps to ground me but it can also make me feel drained and even guilty at times.

Has anyone else out there experienced this problem? If so any suggestions or tricks for dealing with this would be more than greatly appreciated. Maybe something more than taking a cold shower or exercising. Thanks for your help.

WSH

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  7:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hey WSH

I notice the same thing. It is a good problem to have :) Not sure where you're from, but in America, there is a lot of unnecessary guilt and judgment about sex. So on the one hand, I'd say try to let go of some of that and enjoy the extra energy.

The energy cultivation we are doing here is our life force energy. Its strongest manifestation in us is our sexual energy, and that's the way I think it will feel throughout the whole process. Somewhere on the edge of feeling sexy and feeling really good, all over, all the time.

In terms of dealing with the sexual energy - I think it is an adjustment phase that we will go through several times in the AYP practices. I am also just beginning, but by reading ahead, I can see that we gradually ramp up the energy levels. At each level the increased energy may cause excess sexual energy before it diffuses and saturates the rest of the body.

One other helpful thing would be practicing brahmacharya (see the tantra lessons if you haven't yet). Gradually learning to be comfortable in the pre orgasmic sexual state will help the energy diffuse higher up in the body, and help decrease that eager feeling of needed relief.

Also, non-covetousness. One of the yamas/niyamas has been really helpful with this. Sex is thrown at us from every direction in commercial America (maybe wherever you are too). I've noticed it has slowly had less of a pull on me since starting AYP.

Best of luck with this horrible problem

JDH
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  7:32:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The increased sexual energy is good. Try to use SB to move it up.
Go to Top of Page

WSH

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  4:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello JDH and Etherfish,

I truly appreciate the input. It is good advice. I guess/hope with continued practice the energy will diffuse higher up in my nervous system and won't be so unconfortable. Take care and thanks.

WSH
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  02:54:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi WSH,
JDH pretty much said it all. I think if you continue practicing and also getting help from Tantric techniques taught here, soon you'd be in a permanent aroused state which is stable and does not require you to end it with an orgasm. You can just let it be and enjoy it.

Personally I think the balance between Energy and Inner Silence/stillnes is very important. If you have too much energy going on and not enough inner silence, the energy is more likely to show itself as sexual energy. So my advice is try reducing your SBP and increasing your meditation.. 5 minutes extra meditation can change the balance towards inner silence and absorb all that extra energy you have.

Once your meditation is on 20 minutes mark and you're ready to take on more practices, try Samyama which is one of the other techniques that greatly enhances your inner silence - instead of more mudras and energy stimulating techniques.
Go to Top of Page

WSH

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  10:12:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Emil,

I truly appreciate the advice. It seems that my problem has usually been having too much energy and not enough stillness. You hit that on the mark.

Unfortunately there is also a tremendous amount of energy in stillness as well. So the trick is trying to balance both the energies. I guess it just comes down to proper self pacing and finding the correct ratio of cultivation of both the energies.

For me the increase in sexual energy is always a side effect of increased spiritual practice, it rarely if ever actually happens doing the practices.

I just need to figure out how to channel the sexual energy in constructive ways and learn to let it diffuse in my body.

Again I think you are probably right with cultivation of more stillness and perhaps even less cultivation of the ecstatic energy with practices like SB.

Thanks again.

WSH
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000