New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  4:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Adamant,

quote:
The unborn, unconditioned, undying, uncreated is not deep into the unknown. The unknown to be achieved through "deep meditation" silence is born, conditioned, dying, created. What you describe as the end of suffering, I describe as the root of suffering. It is not the Dhamma. All roads don't lead to Vedant.

The unborn, unconditioned, undying, uncreated is the Base. When this is known there is no longer any confusion about terms like That from Vedanta, or Thatgoneone (Tathagata) from the Buddhist tradition. Any previous conception that may have been held in the mind that these are opposing concepts, falls away. It dissolves, never to arrise again.

This is why I say go deep into the unknown and you will come to know the truth about the issues that you have brought up here. I don't think that looking to the history books will provide many satisfactory answers for you. As Jesus said: "Seek first the kingdom of heaven within, and all else will be added unto you".

quote:
As for the Buddha's proposal, I'll let it go when it's disproven.

Now is the only time you can ever let go.

Christi

Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  6:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

quote:
Originally posted by Christi
The unborn, unconditioned, undying, uncreated is the Base.

The what? "Base to Christi... come in, Christi..." Whatever "the Base" is, you can rest assured that it is a complete delusion. The truth is there is no ultimate reality; there's no ground of being. Buddhist meditation requires giving up that quest. Liberation can only happen when one lets go of any holding of any base, ground or so-called ultimate.

quote:
When this is known there is no longer any confusion about terms like That from Vedanta, or Thatgoneone (Tathagata) from the Buddhist tradition. Any previous conception that may have been held in the mind that these are opposing concepts, falls away. It dissolves, never to arrise again.

Is "the Base" the known unknown that you know by going into the unknown? You're just inventing your own jargon. You're confusion is that you have no idea how to go about Buddhist meditation, because you are grasping at your Vedant view. Until you let it go, you will be doomed to cryptic inarticulate banter. Buddhist meditation is simply resting in the present moment without volitional intent; this is what letting go means, and it doesn't mean going into a blind state of unconscious unknowing.

quote:
This is why I say go deep into the unknown and you will come to know the truth about the issues that you have brought up here. I don't think that looking to the history books will provide many satisfactory answers for you. As Jesus said: "Seek first the kingdom of heaven within, and all else will be added unto you".

Bringing Jesus into meditation is another ploy of a Vedantin. It's nice propaganda. All roads don't lead to Vedant. However, all views can be made to corroborate one another. People might think this is a strength, but it's a weakness. Trying to fit everything into your own world view is called dogmatism, a rigid mind. The Dhamma assists in making the mind malleable. The Dhamma is about relinquishing all views into the dust pile.

I'm not looking into the history books for inner satisfaction. My meditation is very nice. I'm very happy. I have no more questions. Facts are a guide for open minded people. Facts help to dispel misrepresentations and half-truths. Facts help to dispel confusion. Facts are useful to educate people who need guidance, because facts are unbiased. If a fact is biased, it's not a fact. A fact can possibly be proven untrue. A fact that cannot be proven untrue is just an opinion, which is the case of what you are calling "the Base."

quote:
Now is the only time you can ever let go.

Then let go now, without reaching deep and grasping for the Base.

Adamant

Edited by - adamantclearlight on Feb 06 2010 6:18:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  11:16:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
P.S. Liberation comes from recognizing whether there are hidden essences, ultimate realities or ultimate experiences doesn't matter. Freedom's nature arises because one gives up the search for ultimate anything.

Edited by - adamantclearlight on Feb 07 2010 12:53:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  08:53:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Adamant,

quote:
The what? "Base to Christi... come in, Christi..." Whatever "the Base" is, you can rest assured that it is a complete delusion. The truth is there is no ultimate reality; there's no ground of being. Buddhist meditation requires giving up that quest. Liberation can only happen when one lets go of any holding of any base, ground or so-called ultimate.

The Base, or Gzhi in the language of Dzogchen is primordial awareness. This is the unconditioned, the unborn, the undying, the uncreated. It is That which is known when we enter the unknown in meditation. The manifest universe emanates from the Base firstly in the form of a highly refined spiritual light, and gradually condensing into what we call physical reality.

quote:
You're confusion is that you have no idea how to go about Buddhist meditation, because you are grasping at your Vedant view.

Meditation is a letting go, not a grasping. It isn't a holding of views, but a letting go of views.

quote:

Is "the Base" the known unknown that you know by going into the unknown? You're just inventing your own jargon. You're confusion is that you have no idea how to go about Buddhist meditation, because you are grasping at your Vedant view.

Yes, The Base (Gzhi) is That which is known by going into the unknown.
There is no need to take my word for it, find out for yourself. These things can be validated by anyone who is willing to investigate for themselves.

quote:
Buddhist meditation is simply resting in the present moment without volitional intent; this is what letting go means, and it doesn't mean going into a blind state of unconscious unknowing.

When we come upon the Base (Gzhi) it is not a blind state of unconscious unknowing. It is an incredibly awake, and all seeing fully conscious state.

In the language of Vedanta the sum total of the Base plus all Dhammas (manifestation) is called Brahman (Sarvam Khalvidam Brahma). This is the realization that the 10,000 things are not separate from the Base and the Base is not separate from the 10,000 things (dhammas).

We are That. Tat Twam Asi. This realization is Dzogchen.

quote:

Liberation comes from recognizing whether there are hidden essences, ultimate realities or ultimate experiences doesn't matter. Freedom's nature arises because one gives up the search for ultimate anything.

If I were you, I would give up all ideas about there being any ultimate reality, or no ultimate reality. After all, how could you possibly know? Investigate, and find out the truth for yourself if you are interested.

I hope that answers the two questions that you asked in your last post.

All the best

Christi
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  12:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

You must have missed the instruction that the Gzhi is nonexistent. True Dzogchen is not told to just anybody, people don't want to accept it. Primordial awareness means nothing arises, nothing ceases; so there's no primordial awareness. Existents arise due to change.

It is a common pitfall of people to study Dzogchen in a superficial way and mistake it for Vedant. Even so-called high yogis have made this mistake, and garbage texts have been produced talking about the origin of the universe, which is another irrefutable conjecture.

It is talk about letting go and then grasping some cosmological opinion that is the confusing you. You are confused.

quote:
The manifest universe emanates from the Base firstly in the form of a highly refined spiritual light, and gradually condensing into what we call physical reality.

This is Vedant, and this is why I've said that one knows Vedant by this signature view. If one calls oneself a Dzogchenpa, but holds this view, one is a Vedantin Dzogchenpa. A Buddhist Dzogchenpa will not believe it.

quote:
If I were you, I would give up all ideas about there being any ultimate reality, or no ultimate reality. After all, how could you possibly know? Investigate, and find out the truth for yourself if you are interested.

If you were me, you won't preach dogma or conjecture this nonsense:

quote:
In the language of Vedanta the sum total of the Base plus all Dhammas (manifestation) is called Brahman (Sarvam Khalvidam Brahma). This is the realization that the 10,000 things are not separate from the Base and the Base is not separate from the 10,000 things (dhammas).

We are That. Tat Twam Asi. This realization is Dzogchen.

This conjecture is not the Dhamma or the Great Perfection. And it shows that the Vedant view is compound.

The Great Perfection is this:

There's nothing.

Adamant

Edited by - adamantclearlight on Feb 07 2010 1:01:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  12:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
P.S. One needs a refined understanding and real insight into the process of change and the process of interdependent origination to understand the dhamma of "nothing exists" and how it sets one free.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  4:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Adamant,

quote:
You must have missed the instruction that the Gzhi is nonexistent.

No instruction is needed here regarding this matter. I am speaking from direct experience. When one realizes the base, one knows if it is existent or non-existent. Until then, these matters are mere speculation.

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The manifest universe emanates from the Base firstly in the form of a highly refined spiritual light, and gradually condensing into what we call physical reality.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is Vedant, and this is why I've said that one knows Vedant by this signature view. If one calls oneself a Dzogchenpa, but holds this view, one is a Vedantin Dzogchenpa. A Buddhist Dzogchenpa will not believe it.

Again, it is neither Vedanta, or Buddha Dhamma, or Dzogchen. It is simply the way things are, and is realized through direct experience by one who goes deeply into inner silence. Whatever one's spiritual path, truth remains the same. As I said above, the path is transcended upon awakening.

quote:
This conjecture is not the Dhamma or the Great Perfection. And it shows that the Vedant view is compound.

The Great Perfection is this:

There's nothing.

quote:
P.S. One needs a refined understanding and real insight into the process of change and the process of interdependent origination to understand the dhamma of "nothing exists" and how it sets one free.

If nothing exists, how are you reading these words?

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Feb 07 2010 7:14:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  12:17:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

quote:
No instruction is needed here regarding this matter. I am speaking from direct experience. When one realizes the base, one knows if it is existent or non-existent. Until then, these matters are mere speculation.

That's it right there. That's your delusion. It that sort of "I have made contact with a reality that you haven't" that is the breeding ground of egotism.

quote:
Again, it is neither Vedanta, or Buddha Dhamma, or Dzogchen. It is simply the way things are, and is realized through direct experience by one who goes deeply into inner silence. Whatever one's spiritual path, truth remains the same. As I said above, the path is transcended upon awakening.

Change remains the truth. Awaken to change. Your view is compound.

quote:
If nothing exists, how are you reading these words?

Christi

Truth is only change. All change is the change of some thing: change presupposes some thing that changes. And it presupposes that, while changing, this thing must remain the same. But if it remains the same, then it doesn't change. Therefore, because everything does change, no thing exists. All phenomena must be compounded, otherwise change would be impossible. Even the present moment is compounded, and therefore does not exist: A water bubble, a desert mirage, an oil lamp, a river. Apart from this truth, there is no further level of ultimate truth. All "things" are mere nominal designations, and these words are the epitome of nominal.

To answer your question: The words you wrote are not the words I'm reading. If our ideas are being fully communicated is just a matter of mutual supposition, convention and conjecture, which we, through follow-up communication, seek to test. There is no word, or words, just a process of communication, a mere facility. There is no such thing as perfect knowledge or ultimate knowledge, never was, never will be.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  04:14:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Adamant,

quote:
Truth is only change. All change is the change of some thing: change presupposes some thing that changes. And it presupposes that, while changing, this thing must remain the same. But if it remains the same, then it doesn't change. Therefore, because everything does change, no thing exists. All phenomena must be compounded, otherwise change would be impossible. Even the present moment is compounded, and therefore does not exist: A water bubble, a desert mirage, an oil lamp, a river. Apart from this truth, there is no further level of ultimate truth. All "things" are mere nominal designations, and these words are the epitome of nominal.

To answer your question: The words you wrote are not the words I'm reading. If our ideas are being fully communicated is just a matter of mutual supposition, convention and conjecture, which we, through follow-up communication, seek to test. There is no word, or words, just a process of communication, a mere facility. There is no such thing as perfect knowledge or ultimate knowledge, never was, never will be.

And what is it that never changes? At first there is the idea that everything changes, because everything that is seen, heard, smelled tasted and touched, changes. As you say, all phenomena are compound. In meditation, we go beyond that which is compound, and touch upon that which never changes. This is the base (gzhi).

It is not a matter of debate, or intellectual speculation. It is a matter of direct experience.

When you are passionately denying existence, at the same time something is aware of that. Something is aware of the person who is denying existence. This is the witness self. By going deeply into the witness self, we come upon that which never changes.

All the best,

Christi
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  10:41:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

Nothing never changes. You go deep into meditation; you come out. Impermanence. What never changes? I give up. Having witnessed change in all experience, deep and shallow, I woke up. Now I'm careful about interdependence; all action begins with an interest. If I have no interest, no action, no further becoming. It is not a matter of direct experience; it is a matter of no more experience. No experience never changes.

Adamant

Edited by - adamantclearlight on Feb 08 2010 10:54:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  2:32:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
P.S. The witness changes always with what it witnessed. If you witness the witness you will say it is like that of the eye and the field of sight, but you do not really see the eye. To say you witness some presence or essence is not witnessing the witness; it's witnessing a presence, one you also do not really see. "I am" is really a limitation.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  3:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Adamant,

quote:
P.S. The witness changes always with what it witnessed. If you witness the witness you will say it is like that of the eye and the field of sight, but you do not really see the eye. To say you witness some presence or essence is not witnessing the witness; it's witnessing a presence, one you also do not really see. "I am" is really a limitation.

That's right, the witness arises with the object of perception and ceases with the object. It is part of the field of the conditioned. Go deeply into the witness, and you will come to that which never changes.

quote:
Nothing never changes. You go deep into meditation; you come out. Impermanence. What never changes? I give up.

Don't give up so easily. You have only just begun.

Realization is not an intellectual riddle to be answered on the level of the mind. If it was then spiritual practices would not be needed.

Persevere.

You may find this lesson useful, dealing with the nature of the witness and how it relates to enlightenment, unity and divine love:

http://www.aypsite.org/336.html

Christi
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  09:11:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

quote:

That's right, the witness arises with the object of perception and ceases with the object. It is part of the field of the conditioned. Go deeply into the witness, and you will come to that which never changes.

You have completely misunderstood. Nothing never changes.

quote:
Don't give up so easily.

The unchanging can only be recognized when one completely gives up on experience.

quote:
You have only just begun.

I have not begun. Having not begun, I will not end.

quote:
Realization is not an intellectual riddle to be answered on the level of the mind. If it was then spiritual practices would not be needed.

What intellectual riddle? You are simply confused. The cure for your confusion is to release this subtle attachment you are holding about having an essence of Thatness. At least from the Buddhist standpoint, "That" is wrong view.

quote:

Persevere.

Give up. (a serious spiritual practice)

Have a look here:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/...nibbana.html

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/...anaverb.html

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/...nibbana.html

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/...e/index.html

Adamant

Edited by - adamantclearlight on Feb 09 2010 10:49:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  09:16:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
P.S. The method of nibbana is close to what you call going deep into "the witness," except there are no concepts of coming or going, of deep or of the witness. One has to be impartial toward all changing experience, with neither self-reference nor other-reference. One observes all changing phenomena both internal and external arise and pass away each moment. This is how one learns impartiality. Then, observing impermanence stabilizes one's impartiality so that one doesn't fixate upon and attach to changing phenomena. "I am-ness" totally disappears as do attachment habits. As is said in Mahamudra, "devoid of reference points, no attachment, no focus."

In short, impartiality now is nibbana now. This is not an intellectual riddle, it's the simplest most concise and correct enlightenment practice.
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  10:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Monks, that sphere should be realized where the eye (vision) stops and the perception (mental noting) of form fades. That sphere is to be realized where the ear stops and the perception of sound fades... where the nose stops and the perception of aroma fades... where the tongue stops and the perception of flavor fades... where the body stops and the perception of tactile sensation fades... where the intellect stops and the perception of idea/phenomenon fades: That sphere should be realized.

— SN XXXV.116

quote:
The Buddha: There is the case, Ananda, where he would be percipient of this: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all mental processes; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; stopping; nibbana.'

— AN X.6

quote:
Ananda: But what were you percipient of at that time?

Sariputta: 'The stopping of becoming — nibbana — the stopping of becoming — nibbana': One perception arose in me as another perception stopped. Just as in a blazing woodchip fire, one flame arises as another flame disappears, even so, 'The stopping of becoming — nibbana — the stopping of becoming — nibbana': One perception arose in me as another one stopped. I was percipient of the stopping of becoming — nibbana.

— AN X.7

quote:
'The concentration whereby — neither pressed down nor forced back, nor with mental processes kept blocked or suppressed — still as a result of release, contented as a result of stillness, and as a result of contentment one is not agitated: This concentration is said by the Master to be the fruit of what?'

I said to her, '...This concentration is said by the Master to be the fruit of gnosis (the knowledge of Awakening).' Having this sort of perception, friend, one is not sensitive to that sphere.

— AN IX.37

quote:
There is the case, Ananda, where a monk... enters & remains in the first jhana: rapture & pleasure born of withdrawal, accompanied by directed thought & evaluation. He regards whatever phenomena there that are connected with form, feeling, perceptions, mental processes, & consciousness as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, a void, not-self. He turns his mind away from those phenomena and, having done so, inclines it to the quality of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all mental processes; the relinquishment of all mental acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; stopping; Unbinding.'

Having attained this point, he reaches the ending of the mental effluents. Or, if not, then — through passion & delight for this very phenomenon [the discernment inclining to deathlessness] and from the total ending of the first five of the Fetters*— he is due to be reborn [in the Pure Abodes], there to be totally unbound, never again to return from that world. (Similarly with the other levels of jhana.)

— MN 64

quote:
Further, Ananda, the monk — not attending to the perception of the dimension of nothingness, not attending to the perception of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception — attends to the singleness based on the signless concentration of awareness. His mind takes pleasure, finds satisfaction, settles, & indulges in its signless concentration of awareness.

He discerns that 'Whatever disturbances that would exist based on the perception of the dimension of nothingness... that would exist based on the perception of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception, are not present. And there is only this modicum of disturbance: that connected with the six sensory spheres, dependent on this very body with life as its condition.' He discerns that 'This mode of perception is void... (etc.)'

Further, Ananda, the monk — not attending to the perception of the dimension of nothingness, not attending to the perception of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception — attends to the singleness based on the signless concentration of awareness. His mind takes pleasure, finds satisfaction, settles, & indulges in its signless concentration of awareness.

He discerns that 'This signless concentration of awareness is fabricated & mentally fashioned.' And he discerns that 'Whatever is fabricated & mentally fashioned is inconstant & subject to stopping.' For him — thus knowing, thus seeing — the mind is released from the effluent of sensuality, the effluent of becoming, the effluent of ignorance. With release, there is the knowledge, 'Released.' He discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'

He discerns that 'Whatever disturbances that would exist based on the effluent of sensuality... the effluent of becoming... the effluent of ignorance, are not present. And there is only this modicum of disturbance: that connected with the six sensory spheres, dependent on this very body with life as its condition.' He discerns that 'This mode of perception is void of the effluent of sensuality... becoming... ignorance. And there is just this non-voidness: that connected with the six sensory spheres, dependent on this very body with life as its condition.' Thus he regards it as void of whatever is not there. Whatever remains, he discerns as present: 'There is this.' And so this, his entry into voidness, accords with actuality, is undistorted in meaning, pure —

superior & unsurpassed.

— MN 121

quote:
Then Ven. Assaji gave this exposition of Dhamma to Sariputta the Wanderer:

'Whatever phenomena arise from a cause:
Their cause
& their cessation.
Such is the teaching of the Tathagata
the Great Contemplative.'

Then to Sariputta the Wanderer, as he heard this exposition of Dhamma, there arose the dustless, stainless Dhamma eye: Whatever is subject to origination is all subject to cessation.

— Mv 1.23.5

Edited by - adamantclearlight on Feb 09 2010 1:09:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  1:58:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hrm... I'm sorry to interrupt this deep conversation, but... are you enjoying looking yourselves in the mirror?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  3:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Adamant,

quote:
P.S. The method of nibbana is close to what you call going deep into "the witness," except there are no concepts of coming or going, of deep or of the witness.

That's right, coming and going are appearance only, as are notions such as deep or shallow. In truth there is nowhere to go. The witness expands into something else which is beyond conditionality. There is no longer any seperation between self and other, and we know that we are That.

quote:
quote:
Monks, that sphere should be realized where the eye (vision) stops and the perception (mental noting) of form fades. That sphere is to be realized where the ear stops and the perception of sound fades... where the nose stops and the perception of aroma fades... where the tongue stops and the perception of flavor fades... where the body stops and the perception of tactile sensation fades... where the intellect stops and the perception of idea/phenomenon fades: That sphere should be realized.

— SN XXXV.116

That's right, this is the realization of the Base (Gzhi).

quote:
What intellectual riddle? You are simply confused.

As I said, realization is not an intellectual riddle to be answered on the level of the mind.

quote:
The cure for your confusion is to release this subtle attachment you are holding about having an essence of Thatness. At least from the Buddhist standpoint, "That" is wrong view.

In Yoga, "That" is not a view at all. It is simply a realization. If you look at the way Yogani uses the word in his teaching, you can see that it is not about a point of view, it is simply about enlightenment. All these quotes come from his Self-inquiry book (not called Self-inquiry for nothing ).

quote:
When our nervous system is systematically
cultivated in ways that bring deep purification and
opening, then we will be able to directly perceive the
reality of Self and the true nature of the world
, and
describe it first-hand. The relevance of our own
experience will surpass the philosophies that have
informed us in the past, and we will know the truth.

quote:
Philosophy is therefore a stepping stone to the
greatest knowledge, which is direct knowledge of our
Self.

quote:
So, while yoga and self-inquiry are often viewed as
a going beyond, never to return, it is not so. We can
never leave what is here and now, for it is what we are
in our own Self

quote:
With deep meditation, the rise of the
witness, and self-inquiry, we are able to bootstrap our
way to the eternal infinite, the shining void that we
come to know as our Self.

quote:
It takes a flexible integration of
methods to penetrate the veil of ideas, emotions and
perceived materiality in front of us, to realize the
eternal luminous reality underlying it all, which is our
true Self

quote:

Once we have cultivated the witness in this
manner, we have also developed the key ability
necessary for self-inquiry, which is being able to allow
thoughts and perceptions to pass by in favor of stillness.
We don’t have to cling to them anymore, or the
associated inner dramas we have created in the past, for
we have found our sense of self, our home, in
something more pleasing, more lasting, and more
present. Pure consciousness – our own Self

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Feb 09 2010 3:07:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  3:22:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

Hrm... I'm sorry to interrupt this deep conversation, but... are you enjoying looking yourselves in the mirror?

Hi emc,

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  3:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
They do seem to be enjoying this little debate very much. who are we to judge?
carry on....
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  4:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

What you fail to recognize is that I'm talking about method, not some conjecture about "what we are." All those quoted Yogani passages are metaphysical statements about "what is." Whenever one says, "I am such and such," "we are that," etc., it is attachment.

You quote:

quote:
we are able to bootstrap our
way to the eternal infinite, the shining void that we
come to know as our Self.

This (like all your other quotes) is a view. This one's about time (eternal), space (infinite), and something called a "shining void" to which we attach a sense of "self." Whether there is eternal time or infinite space is just a conjecture. One might have this sensation in deep meditation, but that doesn't make it real. It makes it unreal. Even the subtlest sense of "I am" must be relinquished to contact reality.

Whereas, what you are calling "the base" is just observed impermanence. See the difference?

Anyway, all these points have been made enough now. Anyone interested in looking into these points in more detail should click the links I posted above.

I just wanted to point out, that the AYP and other Vedant practices are not the same as the Buddha's method. The Buddha's method has a significant difference based on objective impartiality toward phenomena.

Whereas, Vedant is tied to a conjecture that can never be disproven, and serves as an impediment to full awakening. Christi's quotes and points show that modernly, Vedant has not embraced Buddhist teachings, but remains tied to a cosmological conjecture about man at the center of the universe.

The Buddha's message is hard to understand if you don't give up all grasping at views about oneself and the world. One must be truly objective about oneself, like Socrates, and then the path to end suffering becomes very clear: do not delight in sensations, whether external or deeply internal and impartially observe their impermanence.

Adamant

P.S. Feel free to email me if you like.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  8:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Adamant,

quote:
What you fail to recognize is that I'm talking about method, not some conjecture about "what we are."

I thought I just pointed out that the concept of "That" in yoga is not about method at all. I realize that you were talking about method, and I was pointing out that it is not a question of method, but of realization.

quote:
This (like all your other quotes) is a view. This one's about time (eternal), space (infinite), and something called a "shining void" to which we attach a sense of "self." Whether there is eternal time or infinite space is just a conjecture.

Unless it's realization.

Conjecture operates at the level of the thinking mind, realization happens in inner silence when we come to know ourselves as That. That's the difference.

quote:
Whereas, what you are calling "the base" is just observed impermanence. See the difference?

Not observed impermanence, that is still at the level of the witness. The Base is beyond both observed and observer. It is also beyond time, and therefore beyond impermanence.

quote:
I just wanted to point out, that the AYP and other Vedant practices are not the same as the Buddha's method. The Buddha's method has a significant difference based on objective impartiality toward phenomena.

You may be interested in reading Yogani's book on self-inquiry, where he talks a lot about the establishing of objective impartiality towards phenomena. It is the cultivation of the witness, and an important stage on the path.

In the book, Yogani then goes on to discuss some of the stages of enlightenment beyond objective impartiality towards phenomena, which I think you would find especially interesting.

All the best,

Christi

Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  8:50:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
P.S. Did you know, one can achieve nibbana from the first jhana? Deep meditation is not necessary. Nibbana can be realized walking around. In nibbana, all realizations are rendered empty and relative. Any "realization" that occurs outside of the process of cessation is rendered illusory; any dichotomy between the thinking mind and an inner essence is rendered unimportant. All the phenomena fade into the objective clear light of mind, so long as one rests with no attachment and no fixed point of reference. A fixed point of reference to be discarded would be one who realizes or that which is realized. As soon as the realization is pointed out as "That," consciousness has a foothold and the round of birth is maintained. So the method is vastly important, where the claim on a realization an infinitely vast obstacle. What one witnesses is simply the phenomena fade, including any sense at all, like I AM or nonduality. There's no subjective realization or experience to speak of, there is only freedom from suffering. Freedom cannot be pointed to, described or even sensed; total freedom transcends All.
Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  1:27:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think its important to realize that in Dzogchen, there are nirvanic and samsaric elements, and you must distinguish between the two. That is the unique feature of Dzogchen.

Rigpa is nirvanic, while sems in samsaric

Edited by - alwayson2 on Feb 10 2010 1:44:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  2:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by alwayson2

I think its important to realize that in Dzogchen, there are nirvanic and samsaric elements, and you must distinguish between the two. That is the unique feature of Dzogchen.

Rigpa is nirvanic, while sems in samsaric

Hi Alwayson,

Yes, I believe this is what Dzogchen says. I have a different take on the method. There's no need to reject thoughts or recognize a so-called mind/essence dichotomy (because there's no essence anywhere).

I guess this way puts me more in line with the Kagyu "thoughts are dharmakaya" approach. If we leave it all alone, taking no delight in phenomena, we automatically recognize the dharmakaya, because phenomena fade instantly and no particular moment can account for change (each moment is nonarising). When we have no attachments or interests, the positive qualities of the dharmakaya automatically appear (like knowing what's best).

Traga Rinpoche talks about the Dharmakaya in different terms, in terms of the bardos. The Nyingma approach relies on bardos. He describes the dharmakaya as between dreamless sleep and waking up. As one wakes up from sleep, first one's perceptions appear starting with space, etc., then name and form appear, etc. This bardo between sleep and waking repeats itself in the dream state and at death. So one is guided in the methods to "capture" or "seize" the dharmakaya. This is what is really meant by separating samsara from nirvana.

After working with Dzogchen a while, I feel some of their instructions add unnecessary things to the Dharma. Dzogchen can be very Vedant-like, depending on the teacher.

Adamant

Edited by - adamantclearlight on Feb 10 2010 2:51:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  08:34:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by adamantclearlight

P.S. Did you know, one can achieve nibbana from the first jhana? Deep meditation is not necessary. Nibbana can be realized walking around. In nibbana, all realizations are rendered empty and relative. Any "realization" that occurs outside of the process of cessation is rendered illusory; any dichotomy between the thinking mind and an inner essence is rendered unimportant. All the phenomena fade into the objective clear light of mind, so long as one rests with no attachment and no fixed point of reference. A fixed point of reference to be discarded would be one who realizes or that which is realized. As soon as the realization is pointed out as "That," consciousness has a foothold and the round of birth is maintained. So the method is vastly important, where the claim on a realization an infinitely vast obstacle. What one witnesses is simply the phenomena fade, including any sense at all, like I AM or nonduality. There's no subjective realization or experience to speak of, there is only freedom from suffering. Freedom cannot be pointed to, described or even sensed; total freedom transcends All.

Actually points of reference can be quite useful on the spiritual path, as they give us some idea where we are heading, and how to get there. They can also serve as encouragement and validation on the way. Without valid points of reference there is always the danger that one can get lost in mind games, and the spiritual path can get reduced to the level of intellectualizing and sectarianism.

Nibbhana can be realized in any state of jhana, but receptivity must be there. That is when deep meditation and other spiritual practices are so important.

There are deep-rooted samakaras which can obscure the vision, and which lead to attachment. Meditation, pranayama and self-inquiry work to purify the body and mind, releasing these samskaras, and leading naturally to nibbhana.

Good luck with it all,

Christi

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000