Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 cool up back, warm down front?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  9:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I currently do only the most basic pranayama as part of my daily practices.

In the last few days, after reading some old posts, I've become aware of the "cool" and "warm" currents, but the warm current on exhale comes down the front of my body. I do not feel it if I keep my attention on the spine. The upward energy on inhalation is not so much "cool" as it is "not warm" compared to the downward energy flow.

If I bring my attention down the front on exhale, the warm energy trickles down my face and then my belly and then returns to the perineum. It is a downhill feeling, like it is flowing on its own and I don't have to imagine it at all. Whereas if I exhale down the spine in the back, I don't feel much anything, and am definitely imagining.

I am reluctant to alter the AYP practice of going up and down the spine, especially since it is one of the two core practices. It is designed to be safe and effective. I realize that this awareness of the warm energy in the front has only come as an effect of purifying the sushumna over the last months.

Just wondering if anybody has similar experiences, and how it fits in. For now I continue regular SBP and experiment with a few "cycles" up the back and down the front here and there, like a new toy. :)

JDH

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  3:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, this is quite an amazing toy! I don't want to get caught on an experience, so I'm going to keep it out of practices, but I have to play with it somehow.

Something about going down the front makes the energy seem much more real - both in back and in front. It is like a pump system and once it gets going it has a little momentum. And I get a little of that effect from regular SB. But when I go up the back, down the front, I can reliably have a big energy flow going in 30 seconds. I can feel it whether I take deep breaths, or just pay attention to it. Almost like it's going all the time on its own, and if I just pay attention it builds momentum.

So what I'm going to try for now is occasionally "turning the pump on" during the day, maybe once an hour or so, and get that energy flow going. Just for a few cycles to keep it moving, and flush the system so to speak.
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  4:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JDH,

Great stuff.

You probably know this laready but you might want to look up "microcosmic orbit", a taoist "pranayma" that is exactly favoring the cycle you describe.

All the best! It seems you are going places ;)
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  5:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey

I have heard of the microcosmic orbit before. One of my old tripping buddies told me about it a year ago. He said that he had learned to hold in his orgasm with it. I laughed so hard at the time, but I knew he was real about it because we used to share all of our impossible trip stories together. So, I tried it out but nothing happened, and I got a sore pelvis . I should read up more on it now, since it seems to be the way my body favors the practices here.

Thanks! Best to you too.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  5:13:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000