Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Some Kagyu Inputs for AYP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  8:53:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
There was the long discussion about Nadi Shodana and it boils down to the need to have both nostrils open. When I do Nadi Shodana with mooladhara and a visualization of wisdom lights entering my body from billions of Buddhas, I like to have my nostrils open already. I have alergic issues so I have experimented with a lot of methods to have clear sinuses.

I start with washing out my nostrils. Then, I do prostrations to my ishta. I visualize my body is multiplied into billions who all prostrated at the same time. I do about 15-20. This gets the blood pumping, because they are basically a squat/push-up. This alone gets the nostrils open. One also colors the consciousness with humility. (Then, I do my tantra sadhanas from Kagyu, and sometimes keep visualizing my body as deity, and sometimes not).

Then I do the basic asana series included in these lessons. By the time I'm done with these, my Nadi Shodana practice is smooth. Nadi Shodana practice is the 9-phase breathing w/ moola. Inhale slow, first exhale starts slow then ends sharp; second exhale is sharp; third is soft and slow. Three on right, three on left and three with both.

Then I start SBP and the rest... With SBP, after AYP SBP, I will inhale OM, pause AH and exhale HOONG. Before doing YMK, I do "inner fire" kumbhaka. Which is just like YMK without the YM or jalandhara, while slightly more forceful uddiyana and a focus on heat at the navel during kumbhaka and allowing the flow to touch the crown. (Sometimes also including inhale OM, hold AH and exhale HOONG, sometimes not). Sometimes mantra is OM AH HOONG, OM MANI PADME HOONG or just HOONG. Samyama practice is sometimes a mantra OM AH HUNG VAJRA GURU PADMA SIDDHI HOONG or Kagyu Mahamudra "perfect rest with no attachment, no focus, no hope, no fear" released in stillness, as this results in the ultimate siddhi.

Other than these, all else remains same and the fit is very seamless.

Adamant

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  9:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The Buddha's samyamas are

earth
water
fire
air
blue
yellow
red
white
space
light

By mastering these one gains mastery over all of material existence. The others are:

loving-kindness
compassion
rejoicing others' successes
equanimity
the Buddha's qualities
morality
generosity
the devas
peace
death
the body
breathing

jhanas:

infinite space
infinite consciousness
nothingness
neither perception nor non-perception

insight:

temporary vibrations (impermanence)
unsatisfactoriness of temporary vibrations (suffering)
vibrations are not-my doing (not-self)
rise and fall (of aggregates)
interdependence
dissolved
dispassion toward phenomena
cessation

Adamant

Edited by - adamantclearlight on Jan 28 2010 12:14:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  12:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi adamant

quote:
Originally posted by adamantclearlight

When I do Nadi Shodana with mooladhara

What exactly do you mean "nadi shodhana with muladhara"? Do you mean Nadi Shodhana with mulabandha? Sorry for my ignorance if you did mean muladhara.

Love.
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  1:24:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah moolabandha

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  3:31:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

There was the long discussion about Nadi Shodana and it boils down to the need to have both nostrils open. When I do Nadi Shodana with mooladhara and a visualization of wisdom lights entering my body from billions of Buddhas, I like to have my nostrils open already. I have alergic issues so I have experimented with a lot of methods to have clear sinuses.

I start with washing out my nostrils. Then, I do prostrations to my ishta. I visualize my body is multiplied into billions who all prostrated at the same time. I do about 15-20. This gets the blood pumping, because they are basically a squat/push-up. This alone gets the nostrils open. One also colors the consciousness with humility. (Then, I do my tantra sadhanas from Kagyu, and sometimes keep visualizing my body as deity, and sometimes not).

Then I do the basic asana series included in these lessons. By the time I'm done with these, my Nadi Shodana practice is smooth. Nadi Shodana practice is the 9-phase breathing w/ moola. Inhale slow, first exhale starts slow then ends sharp; second exhale is sharp; third is soft and slow. Three on right, three on left and three with both.

Then I start SBP and the rest... With SBP, after AYP SBP, I will inhale OM, pause AH and exhale HOONG. Before doing YMK, I do "inner fire" kumbhaka. Which is just like YMK without the YM or jalandhara, while slightly more forceful uddiyana and a focus on heat at the navel during kumbhaka and allowing the flow to touch the crown. (Sometimes also including inhale OM, hold AH and exhale HOONG, sometimes not). Sometimes mantra is OM AH HOONG, OM MANI PADME HOONG or just HOONG. Samyama practice is sometimes a mantra OM AH HUNG VAJRA GURU PADMA SIDDHI HOONG or Kagyu Mahamudra "perfect rest with no attachment, no focus, no hope, no fear" released in stillness, as this results in the ultimate siddhi.

Adamant

Hi Adamant :)
Thank you for volunteering your practices.
However, I'm much more interested in your experiences during those practices. I've prepared a list of questions, just as guidelines. If you'd like to give us more insight that would be great. If not, that is your prerogative.. but it would be interesting.. :)

1) Do you ever find yourself just hanging in space inside the sushumna during spinal breathing?

2) Do visions of the moon and the sun ever appear to you as unsolicited visions?

3) Can you see up and down the sushumna? What does it look like to you?

4) Have you ever quit breathing for a long time during practices? If so, during which practice? What was the experience like?

5) Do you see the chakras? If so, what colors are they?

6) If you think of me now, do you get visions of what I look like? Can you see my etheric body? Can you read my karma?

7) If you sit in silence, do you see the star/light above the head?

8) How long does it take you to get to any kind of samadhi? During which practice?

9) Have you ever noticed that all mantras, spoken or otherwise start out at the navel (lower tan tien) by releasing a small stream of prana?

10) Do you ever do trataka (gazing)? I've heard that it also opens the left and right nadis.

11) Do you ever do a straight concentrative meditation, not mantra with gaps, but more of a continual concentrative awareness on one object (as described in the "Clear Light of Bliss" where you conquer mental wandering, fading etc and become one with the object)?

Thanks.
:)
TI
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  4:28:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Tibetan_Ice

quote:

Adamant

Thank you for volunteering your practices.
However, I'm much more interested in your experiences during those practices. I've prepared a list of questions, just as guidelines. If you'd like to give us more insight that would be great. If not, that is your prerogative.. but it would be interesting.. :)

I will try:

quote:
1) Do you ever find yourself just hanging in space inside the sushumna during spinal breathing?

I combine SBP with OM AH HOONG and visualize white OM at the crown, red AH in the throat and blue HOONG in the heart. HOONG causes prana to flow out to all the millions of tiny channels ending at the pores of the skin. This gives me a hanging in space without a body feeling.

quote:
2) Do visions of the moon and the sun ever appear to you as unsolicited visions?

Yes. I had one such vision of being in a room with four walls and four windows. As I looked through each window there was a full solar eclipse with a blazing sun. Then I saw some other awesome event... (not going into it).

quote:
3) Can you see up and down the sushumna? What does it look like to you?

I've trained in seeing inside the shushumna with visualizations, so it looked like what I visualized, a shiny tube.

quote:
4) Have you ever quit breathing for a long time during practices? If so, during which practice? What was the experience like?

My breathing stops during Mahamudra meditation which is similar to the ninth jhana, complete cessation. It's beyond words.

quote:
5) Do you see the chakras? If so, what colors are they?

The color of the chakras people see depends on their lineage; it's interdependent with methods. I feel that this is not important.

quote:
6) If you think of me now, do you get visions of what I look like? Can you see my etheric body? Can you read my karma?

Karma, no. Only a Buddha can do that. I'm just ordinary. But I do see your future, you will be enlightened.

quote:
7) If you sit in silence, do you see the star/light above the head?

I see it in front of my brow.

quote:
8) How long does it take you to get to any kind of samadhi? During which practice?

Maybe one minute, Mahamudra/Tregcho.

quote:
9) Have you ever noticed that all mantras, spoken or otherwise start out at the navel (lower tan tien) by releasing a small stream of prana?

No. There are so many mantras that perform so many functions. For example, OM MANI PADME HOONG: feels like it's coming from nowhere.

quote:
10) Do you ever do trataka (gazing)? I've heard that it also opens the left and right nadis.

Yes. I love this practice.

quote:
11) Do you ever do a straight concentrative meditation, not mantra with gaps, but more of a continual concentrative awareness on one object (as described in the "Clear Light of Bliss" where you conquer mental wandering, fading etc and become one with the object)?

Take that book you mentioned and burn it. There's a bad spirit associated with that guru. Be careful. But Mahamudra/Tregcho is the practice. Otherwise, I will also do vipassana by concentrating on body sensations.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  4:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
P.S. TI, My feeling re your comment about the mantra emanating from the navel is the following: The fruition practice is without focus or distraction. Prior to the fruition practice, one will have 1001 sensations, visions and "experiences" the more subtle, the more sensations, etc. The best practice is to know that such and such is going to happen and just let it be. These experiences are not important at all.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  6:21:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for your responses. That is so interesting!

quote:

P.S. TI, My feeling re your comment about the mantra emanating from the navel is the following: The fruition practice is without focus or distraction. Prior to the fruition practice, one will have 1001 sensations, visions and "experiences" the more subtle, the more sensations, etc. The best practice is to know that such and such is going to happen and just let it be. These experiences are not important at all.

Adamant

I appreciate your advice here. Luckily for me, once I recognize a consistent phenomenon, most times it looses it's interest and I can again withdraw my point of view back into witness mode..

The reason I point out about the "mantra emanating from the navel" is that, like you have stated, mantras cause prana to flow out. So where does the prana flow in from? Where is that source? I believe the flow in starts at the navel, that's what it feels like to me.

As a matter of fact, if I mentally pronounce "AUM" or "HOONG" or any mental sound I can feel the connection to the area behind the navel. I've noticed that if I start a mantra and then stop it, just so I can localize the exact sensation and location at the navel, I can keep that 'tension' going by itself without a mantra. Then the breathing becomes similar to reversed breathing or Embryonic Breathing naturally (to use a Taoist term). The navel gets hot, my face and hands get hot. So a very subtle 'tightening' of the navel seems to be the source of unlimited prana. Once you have the flow going you can direct it where you want through visualization, mantra or whatever.. I have directed the flow up the sushumna during spinal breathing. It seems to produce the most ecstatic conductivity when I do that..

Are you being serious? Should I really burn the book? What kind of evil spirit? Hmmm.. was there an old thread about that in this forum? Seems vaguely familiar..

Oh, thought I'd mention. I've read "The Discourse Summaries". and the practice of full body awareness sure sounds like Eckhart Tolle's "sensing the inner body" practice. That practice is the best to mitigate overloads for me, by the way. Good book too! Thanks for that. This perhaps was the best justification for breathing awareness meditation that I have ever seen. I appreciate the perspective of discovering what is really there, inside us, as a journey into the deeper layers of ourselves rather than a mentally manufactured process such as mantra or visualization. (not saying that those don't have their place and purpose. Sometimes you have to let go and let be to see what comes up on it's own.. )

TI

Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  7:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TI, seriously, burn it (at least toss it). Your navel chakra experience is good. Keep it up. Make it hotter and hotter as it shoots up the shushumna so that it melts the drops in the crown until they drip in the heart. When that happens, do the Goenka style vipassana until the voidness of bliss is clear (which is just like Mahamudra).

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  11:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

quote:

Hi TI, seriously, burn it (at least toss it).

Ok! Consider it tossed.
What about my "Heart Drops of Dharmakaya: Dzogchen Practice of the Bon Tradition" book? I like it better than the scholastic/intellectual style of the "Flight of the Garuda Teaching of the Dzokchen Tradition of Tibetan Buddhism" book.

quote:

Your navel chakra experience is good. Keep it up. Make it hotter and hotter as it shoots up the shushumna so that it melts the drops in the crown until they drip in the heart. When that happens, do the Goenka style vipassana until the voidness of bliss is clear (which is just like Mahamudra).

Adamant

That is good to know. Thank you!

One last question. As I have mentioned before in other posts, there is this big white star of light above the crown and I can bring that light down into the sushumna. Do you think that this is what you are calling "melting the crown so it drips the white drops into the heart"? The light is like thick fluffy light that is cool, not hot. It is mostly pure white except sometimes it has a tinge of very light blue in it when I first focus on it..

My practice has been to bring the fire/bliss up the sushumna through the chakras to the light above the head and then to bring the light down the sushumna to the root in a form of spinal breathing. It produces ecstatic conductivity in both directions, up and down. Sometimes I can hardly stand it. Is this good too?

Thank you.
TI

Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  12:26:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

The color of the chakras people see depends on their lineage; it's interdependent with methods. I feel that this is not important.

Adamant

there is a big difference between visualization of the chakras and actually clairvoyantly looking at the chakra itself.

Thankfully, neither are required or even helpful for working on the chakras.

Edited by - alwayson2 on Jan 29 2010 12:51:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  8:27:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

The Buddha's samyamas are

earth
water
fire
air
blue
yellow
red
white
space
light

Hi Adamant,

Would these be used in the same way as AYP Samyama sutras? Or is there another process?

Thanks

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  10:32:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
just like ayp samyam
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  11:00:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was really hoping that you were going to answer my question, but I see that you didn't. Here it is again:

One last question. As I have mentioned before in other posts, there is this big white star of light above the crown and I can bring that light down into the sushumna. Do you think that this is what you are calling "melting the crown so it drips the white drops into the heart"? The light is like thick fluffy light that is cool, not hot. It is mostly pure white except sometimes it has a tinge of very light blue in it when I first focus on it..

My practice has been to bring the fire/bliss up the sushumna through the chakras to the light above the head and then to bring the light down the sushumna to the root in a form of spinal breathing. It produces ecstatic conductivity in both directions, up and down. Sometimes I can hardly stand it. Is this good too?

Actually, I've had a lot of fire rise up the spine on it's own a few years ago and many times since then. Once I was totally engulfed in flames. Recently, I don't make any conscious effort to bring the fire/heat up the spine, it happens on it's own every now and then.

Also, I'm not one to take good advice without reason. Why exactly did you tell me to throw away "Clear Light of Bliss"? What kind of bad spirit is associated with that guru? Is it something Jesus can't handle? :)

TI
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  12:29:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Adamant
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  12:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TI, Sorry I missed it.

quote:
Originally posted by Tibetan_Ice

Actually, I've had a lot of fire rise up the spine on it's own a few years ago and many times since then. Once I was totally engulfed in flames. Recently, I don't make any conscious effort to bring the fire/heat up the spine, it happens on it's own every now and then.

Also, I'm not one to take good advice without reason. Why exactly did you tell me to throw away "Clear Light of Bliss"? What kind of bad spirit is associated with that guru? Is it something Jesus can't handle? :)

TI

If you don't allow the energy to leave the body it will melt the drops in the crown of the skull and those will drip into the central channel. Bliss is good, just don't attach to that.

The spirit associated with the Kelsang Gyatso is something you can google. It is known to help people get wealthy, but then suddenly go crazy and kill themselves. You can play with fire if you like. But its better not to invite that kind of energy into one's retinue. Of course I'm sure Jesus can handle anything if that's your faith. However, even in Christianity demons are known to kill. Be careful. If you want to read a better book, look at "Inner Fire" by Lama Yeshe.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  01:05:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

quote:

If you don't allow the energy to leave the body it will melt the drops in the crown of the skull and those will drip into the central channel. Bliss is good, just don't attach to that.

The spirit associated with the Kelsang Gyatso is something you can google. It is known to help people get wealthy, but then suddenly go crazy and kill themselves. You can play with fire if you like. But its better not to invite that kind of energy into one's retinue. Of course I'm sure Jesus can handle anything if that's your faith. However, even in Christianity demons are known to kill. Be careful. If you want to read a better book, look at "Inner Fire" by Lama Yeshe.

Adamant

Thank you very much! I will order the book. What do you think of "Heart Drops of Dharmakaya: Dzogchen Practice of the Bon Tradition" by Shardza Tashi Gyaltsen"? I particularily liked this book because it explains tigles and outlines the various experiences along the way.. I especially like the part where it says that eventually you can put imprints into stone using only your mind. :)

You know, I read that link you posted in the "Ready to call it quits" and I think that this is the most beautiful piece of knowledge that I have seen for a long time. Thank you for that.

This link: http://www.dharmaweb.org/index.php/...veryday_Life

Great stuff! Simple. No mystery there. No practices either.. Just sit.

In my understanding, the key to enlightenment is separating consciousness from awareness. Once that is done, awareness expands into the totality, revealing all things and The Great Perfection.

So, abide in awareness! There is really nothing to do! It is very clear!

TI
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  12:41:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TI, I like the Heartdrops book; whatever secrets the Nyingma keep, you can be the Bonpo's will reveal. There are a few essential pith instructions about Togal that are indispinsible. I've mentioned those on this forum somewhere. Glad you like that link. I agree; it's the right way to approach the practice.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000