New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  9:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Adamant, :)

quote:
Originally posted by adamantclearlight
quote:

Where exactly did you find that he teaches to keep the attention at the abdomen?

:)
TI

Hi TI, In "Practicing the Power of Now." Blatant Zen influence. Nothing original in Tolle.

Adamant

Thanks for pointing that out. I found that part and this is what he says (on the CD) as a recommended practice:
quote:

... feel yourself breathing into the lower abdomen, as it were. Observe how it expands and contracts slightly with each in and out breath. Then become aware of the entire inner energy field of the body. Don't think about it. Feel it. By doing this you reclaim consciousness from the mind. If you find it helpful, use the light visualization I just described.

When you can feel the body clearly as a single field of energy, let go if possible of any visual image and focus exclusively on the feeling. If you can, also drop any mental image that you may have of the physical body. All that is left then, is an all encompassing sense of presence or beingness and the inner body is felt to be as without a boundary.

Then, take your attention even more deeply into that feeling. Become one with it. Merge with the energy field so that there is no longer a percieved duality of the observer and the observed, of you and your body.

The distinction between inner and outer also dissolves now so there's no inner body any more. By going deeply into the body, you have transcended the body. Stay in this realm of pure being for as long as is comfortable. ..

Placing attention on the abdomen while breathing is just one short step in a series of steps which leads to dwelling in the realm of pure being, as described in the aforementioned quote.

The reason I point this out is because technically, Tolle is not saying to keep attention on the abdomen as a persistent practice, which is how one might interpret your statement.

Anyway, no big deal. I thought I'd just point that out. I'm a stickler for detail..

And it is also somewhat amusing that Tolle's meditation and your post both denote body awareness as a step:

quote:

Remember, that body awareness is a step. It's an attention diversion away from thoughts. When the mind is sufficiently settled, one must not rest the attention anywhere and just observe the mind (choiceless awareness).

Adamant

Hi Nathan, :)
Yes, there are many different sources and techniques. It is so nice to see someone else recognize that Tolle does mention a viable practice.

All the best to both of you.

TI

Go to Top of Page

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  1:32:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan

Dear friends,

I'd just like to point out that there are other teachings on body awareness apart from Goenka's vipassana. Eckhart Tolle teaches this, and calls it inner body awareness; there is good information on this in the book "The Power of Now." Another great book is "The Method of No-Method: The Chan Practice of Silent Illumination," by Sheng Yen.

Both of these teachers talk about a total body awareness, rather than body scanning as in Goenka's teachings. So the issue of too much attention put on the crown chakra doesn't really apply when one is keeping awareness on the body as a whole.

I'm more drawn to keeping awareness on the body as a whole, and that's why I like the two books I mentioned. Of course this is essentially the same method. Eckhart doesn't attach a lot of teachings to the method, which is nice, but on the other hand, some of the Buddhist teachings can help deepen the practice. It's nice to read and integrate different viewpoints. Neither Tolle nor Yen incorporate breath awareness much in their method, but both say that it can be used when needed to enter into the practice, such as when one is feeling agitated.

I don't think it's necessary to go off to retreat in order to learn body awareness; it's a beautifully simple method (Goenka's method involves more elements). In the case of the Goenka Vipassana course, not every one can, or would want to, sit for 10-12 hours a day. Of course, attending retreat can deepen ones practice, but don't feel that you have to attend retreat.

Let`s not forget Mahasi Sayadaw.

Go to Top of Page

Ruben

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  10:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ruben's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

On the other hand, his comments that mantra and visualizations create a comforter cover for one's "stuff" stored in the unconscious is also true. Vipassana is about stirring up the stuff and resolving each bit on the spot, pleasant or painful. The Goenka method is a sharp scalpel. His students might be a little dull, I don't know. In a retreat, one practices a method not a community. If I was Ruben, I would just keep my personal daily practice to myself and take advantage of a great method and opportunity to practice in a nice retreat place.

I didn't read anything about a crown practice. That would be weird, because the Buddha never mentioned chakras even once and Goenka's methods correspond to the suttas. That may have to do with dwelling too long at the top of the head during "sweeping." One should only be sweeping for a day or two to get the hang of body mindfulness. I certainly don't think anyone needs to be scared of vipassana. The Buddha's methods are wonderfully blessed.

I would revise the "noting" practice of Daniel Ingram's style to just noticing. Noting is too much work. When doing AYP, one basically accomplishes full body mindfulness, so sweeping is unnecessary.

Adamant

Dear friends,

Two months ago, I finally participated at a 10-day Vipassana course, in the U Ba Khin tradition (Goenka teaching).
It was a wonderful experience; so much peace, understanding and love have come from practicing vipassana and metta. I feel a remarkable difference in daily life since the retreat and my continuing practicing Vipassana as instructed in the course.

Before the Vipassana retreat, I was practicing hatha yoga and ayp (mainly spinal breathing and deep meditation; usually once a day; sometimes twice or not when doing other practices; eg at ashrams in India).

I plan to take more Vipassana retreats in the coming months and focusing on this technique. I find the technique extremely useful in daily life as it is easy to practice at any moment and come out of practice safely. The environment (whether in a quiet secluded place or in a noisy bus or train) can easily be made part of the practice. Practicing yoga can be a bit harder in busses or trains :)

I very much value ayp and would love to combine it with vipassana (body sweeping). Since the retreat I have managed to focus on body sweeping alone (with some hatha yoga, but no ayp). Once in a while I find myself naturally going to spinal breathing and/or DM (IAM) though. Short spinal breathing and DM feels like an excellent preparation for body sweeping when mind is a bit restless. For this reason, and as it seems appealing intellectually to combine a shamatha practice with vipassana, I consider combining ayp (spinal breathing and DM mainly) with vipassana (but not during the retreats of course).

quote:

It is better to combine. A twice daily routine of shamatha practice, with pranayama and mantra, plus a small 5-10 min dose of vipassana (called self-inquiry around here) at the end of the session will win you the best experience. You will set a foundation of inner well-being with shamatha, while slowly tip-toeing into the deep end. A lot of us, including me, have spent time banging the old head against the wall trying to maximize one side or the other. But the best way is the sane and balanced approach.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the following. As Christi has already pointed out, combining practices is recommended against by Goenka. In the book "The clock of vipassana has struck" Goenka is cited explaining how mantra meditation aims at bringing one in tune with a certain vibration (that of the specific mantra) while in Vipassana as taught by Goenka one observes any vibration as it occurs. At the beginning of the Vipassana retreat, it is explained more than once that by mixing practices one may do more harm than good: with one leg on one horse and another leg on another horse accidents are likely to happen :)

Now, specifically thinking of combining IAM DM and body sweeping: Do you feel the ayp horse and the Vipassana horse can galop together harmoniously or are they likely to galop in a different direction along the path so that it'd be wiser to choose one horse only?

Christi mentioned premature crown chakra opening with the body sweeping technique, describing it as a powerful energetic practice. My personal limited experience agrees with the power of the energy practice:
During the Vipassana retreat, as soon as the body sweeping practice was started (on the fourth day, after 3 days of observing breath and sensations around the nose area), I had kundalini experiences, loosing equanimity (eg. body shaking strongly, burning heat, strong headache, and a feeling that body was about to levitate if I'd not interrupt meditating). With further practice and after talking to the teacher of the retreat, I became more at ease with the body sweeping to the level that I'm now very comfortable sweeping up from the crown chakra to the toes and back.

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts,
Ruben

Edited by - Ruben on Jul 14 2011 11:06:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  2:09:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Vipassana or versions of it is widely used together with mantra, pranyama and other energy techniques and meditation techniques in Tibet, Thailand, Vietnam, China etc. I think it is rather the norm than the other way around. Basically it is the safest practice to combine with other practices as it just observes reality and does not do specific energywork. Mixing mantra with mantra or pranayamas etc. is much more tricky.

Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  12:02:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ruben, :)

Thank you for the oportunity to review Buddha's teachings. You see, I bought "The Discourse Summaries of S.N. Goenka" a while ago because it seemed so similar to Tolle's "sensing the inner body" that it intrigued me. And, now, with the realization that Buddha's breath meditation is not about the breath at all, but about relaxing deeply and sensing the body, I am gaining a much better understanding of perhaps the ultimate path to enlightenment ala Buddha.

That said, the main difference between Tolle's "sensing the inner body" and the "sweeping the body" technique is that with Tolle, you eventually sense the life force in the whole body as one cohesive unit, and eventually "listen using the whole body sensation".

So, if I may be so bold I would like to comment.

From reading The Discourse Summaries (again for the third time), it seems evident to me that Goenka is saying that Buddha is the only person in history to discover that bodily sensations are the key to purifying the mind by eradicating craving and aversion. By becoming equanimous to bodily sensations, it eradicates the sankharas (mental formation, mental reactions). Once all sankharas are eradicated, the mind becomes the Buddha mind. It is quite the concept, to me. Like nipping pre-thoughts in the bud, before they have a chance to bloom and cause reactions and chains of other thoughts which lead to aversions or cravings..

quote:
Originally posted by Ruben
Dear friends,

Two months ago, I finally participated at a 10-day Vipassana course, in the U Ba Khin tradition (Goenka teaching).
It was a wonderful experience; so much peace, understanding and love have come from practicing vipassana and metta. I feel a remarkable difference in daily life since the retreat and my continuing practicing Vipassana as instructed in the course.

Before the Vipassana retreat, I was practicing hatha yoga and ayp (mainly spinal breathing and deep meditation; usually once a day; sometimes twice or not when doing other practices; eg at ashrams in India).

Your statements are producing craving in my mind. :) How lucky you are to have attended such a retreat!

quote:

I very much value ayp and would love to combine it with vipassana (body sweeping). Since the retreat I have managed to focus on body sweeping alone (with some hatha yoga, but no ayp). Once in a while I find myself naturally going to spinal breathing and/or DM (IAM) though. Short spinal breathing and DM feels like an excellent preparation for body sweeping when mind is a bit restless.

In "The Discourse Summaries", Goenka suggests that if the mind is too rough and hard to settle, that one should return to anapana (watching the breath) to calm the mind.

quote:

For this reason, and as it seems appealing intellectually to combine a shamatha practice with vipassana, I consider combining ayp (spinal breathing and DM mainly) with vipassana (but not during the retreats of course).

Is this not a form of craving?

quote:

It is better to combine. A twice daily routine of shamatha practice, with pranayama and mantra, plus a small 5-10 min dose of vipassana (called self-inquiry around here) at the end of the session will win you the best experience. You will set a foundation of inner well-being with shamatha, while slowly tip-toeing into the deep end. A lot of us, including me, have spent time banging the old head against the wall trying to maximize one side or the other. But the best way is the sane and balanced approach.

Goenka specifically states that one should not use fabricated mental constructs to focus on, such as a mantra. In order to initiate the cleansing process or eradication of past sankharas (mental formations), one must focus on the body and the sensations that arise with equanimity. So, in my opinion, Adamant's statements are much too general, resembling blanket statements which need to be further defined.

In plain English, if you don't get right down into the details of what each practice consists of, to say "A twice daily routine of shamatha practice, with pranayama and mantra, plus a small 5-10 min dose of vipassana (called self-inquiry around here) at the end of the session will win you the best experience." is meaningless. Sounds more like an unsolicited endorsement of some kind.

And, Goenka is saying that mantra repetition is not going to eradicate the sankharas. One must wait until they arise, observe them with equanimity until they release and continute until the next deeper batch is ready to be released..

quote:

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the following. As Christi has already pointed out, combining practices is recommended against by Goenka. In the book "The clock of vipassana has struck" Goenka is cited explaining how mantra meditation aims at bringing one in tune with a certain vibration (that of the specific mantra) while in Vipassana as taught by Goenka one observes any vibration as it occurs. At the beginning of the Vipassana retreat, it is explained more than once that by mixing practices one may do more harm than good: with one leg on one horse and another leg on another horse accidents are likely to happen :)

Now, specifically thinking of combining IAM DM and body sweeping: Do you feel the ayp horse and the Vipassana horse can galop together harmoniously or are they likely to galop in a different direction along the path so that it'd be wiser to choose one horse only?

I have found that "sensing the inner body" is one of the most powerful practices that I have found. I do both mantra repetition, pranayama, spinal breathing (my customized AYP practices) and every now and then, when I don't want to sleep at night (ha ha) I will do 35 minutes or more of "sensing the inner body". At the end of it, I no longer feel my physical body as I become a cloud of magnetic bliss, dissociated and floating around.. However, I keep the practices separate by three or four hours and do it only on weekends or when I'm feeling sick or down because it is way too easy to overload.

quote:

Christi mentioned premature crown chakra opening with the body sweeping technique, describing it as a powerful energetic practice. My personal limited experience agrees with the power of the energy practice:
During the Vipassana retreat, as soon as the body sweeping practice was started (on the fourth day, after 3 days of observing breath and sensations around the nose area), I had kundalini experiences, loosing equanimity (eg. body shaking strongly, burning heat, strong headache, and a feeling that body was about to levitate if I'd not interrupt meditating). With further practice and after talking to the teacher of the retreat, I became more at ease with the body sweeping to the level that I'm now very comfortable sweeping up from the crown chakra to the toes and back.

There is no mention of chakras or focusing on astral/etheric parts of the body in Buddha's teachings. However, I too have had all the experiences you've listed by just 'sensing the inner body' and basically doing nothing more. It seems to all happen on it's own.

There is also a set pattern that I follow. What I do is to start my focus on the hands, on feeling of the life force that surrounds the hands. I keep my hands facing upwards on my legs. Then, once the sensation in hands becomes tingly, feeling like two comfortably numb balloons, I notice the same sensation in the brow and face. Then I add each foot, then up the legs, then the arms, shoulders and chest.. I keep going until the whole body is so relaxed and still that I float around. By that time kundalini is permeating my whole being and I have ecstatic conductivity that permeates about 1 foot around the periphery of the body. Just love it!

And, thanks again. I now understand that I must relinquish my craving for these sensations and learn to view them with more equanimity.

Anyway, I hope this helped you in your contemplation of mixing practices. One word of advice, the guru is in you, and if you seek guidance and direction from members on a forum, you leave yourself open to influences (sometimes with alterior motives) that may or may not be to your best advantage.

TI

Edited by - Tibetan_Ice on Jul 20 2011 03:59:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ruben

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  10:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ruben's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Tibetan_Ice,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I found your comments and suggestions interesting and valuable.

quote:
Originally posted by Tibetan_Ice

That said, the main difference between Tolle's "sensing the inner body" and the "sweeping the body" technique is that with Tolle, you eventually sense the life force in the whole body as one cohesive unit, and eventually "listen using the whole body sensation".

I have not read Tolle's teachings on "sensing the inner body", so I canot properly compare this technique with the one taught in the Vipassana retreat. It sounds very similar though, perhaps to the extent it boils down to the same.
In the 10 day Goenka Vipassana retreat it is indeed first taught to do body sweeping, starting with sensing sensations on small areas of the body bit by bit. Later already, it is instructed to symmetrically focus on more parts: as many as possible if the sensations are subtle and equal on all these parts of the body. So, if the sensations are subtle and equal all over the body, I deduct the whole body is being focused on at once. This was confirmed in a previous post by adamantclearlight who practiced the method at his home retreat after reading the "Vipassana meditation" by Goenka.

See the PS in Adamant's first post of the 15th of June 2010 and the second post quoted here:

quote:
Okay so I just finished "Vipassana Meditation" by Goenka. One does the body sweeping until one can maintain concentration over the whole body. That's what I thought.

Adamant

quote:
From reading The Discourse Summaries (again for the third time), it seems evident to me that Goenka is saying that Buddha is the only person in history to discover that bodily sensations are the key to purifying the mind by eradicating craving and aversion.

If I remember rightly, Goenka says - paraphrasing the Buddha - that the technique as taught by the Buddha 2500 years ago has existed long before the Budhha. Only, the technique had been forgotten and the Buddha's contribution was to rediscover it. Goenka says the Buddha did not claim the technique to be his.

quote:
Your statements are producing craving in my mind. :) How lucky you are to have attended such a retreat!

I feel lucky indeed :)
Happy to hear you'd love to participate at a retreat. I strongly recommend it. No need for craving, the retreat is available all over the world and free of cost (www.dhamma.org). You only need 12 days of your life.

In few days I will be following a retreat again.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ruben
For this reason, and as it seems appealing intellectually to combine a shamatha practice with vipassana, I consider combining ayp (spinal breathing and DM mainly) with vipassana (but not during the retreats of course).

Is this not a form of craving?

Perhaps. One has to make choices all the time, also in the spiritual practices one follows. Making a choice per se is probably not a craving. Having some desire (eg. for fast spiritual growth), that is a craving. If one makes a choice between practices equanimously, just for the sake of making the best choice, there need not be craving involved. The more there is selfish desire for fast spiritual growth, i.e. the less equanimous one is, the more craving and sankharas are involved.

quote:
Goenka specifically states that one should not use fabricated mental constructs to focus on, such as a mantra. In order to initiate the cleansing process or eradication of past sankharas (mental formations), one must focus on the body and the sensations that arise with equanimity. So, in my opinion, Adamant's statements are much too general, resembling blanket statements which need to be further defined.

In plain English, if you don't get right down into the details of what each practice consists of, to say "A twice daily routine of shamatha practice, with pranayama and mantra, plus a small 5-10 min dose of vipassana (called self-inquiry around here) at the end of the session will win you the best experience." is meaningless. Sounds more like an unsolicited endorsement of some kind.

And, Goenka is saying that mantra repetition is not going to eradicate the sankharas. One must wait until they arise, observe them with equanimity until they release and continute until the next deeper batch is ready to be released..

I would love to read Adamant and other experienced meditators on this.

In a previous post, ther has been some more explanation of the reason for possibly wanting to combine ayp (deep meditation) and Vipassana (body sweeping):

quote:
Essentially, when one is pursuing only insight practice, one's chakras and channels have not been softened by yoga. One is taking insight as the yoga. So one must patiently wait for the channels to open for the insight to happen. Then, even after the channels open, there is the flush of obstructions that causes really a lot of suffering. Because one is not practicing pranayama and shamatha, the suffering can only be overcome by more insight practice, so one must remain in retreat. If you leave retreat during this time, those half-open channels and half-flushed obstructions will remain like gunky crap in a sink drain, and make you feel crappy until you finally flush them out.

In the AYP approach its a little opening on the chakra side and a little opening on the insight side (pranayama and mantra). The insight side comes after several months or years of channel softening. It's like cow skin. It has to be tanned and treated before it is supple and soft leather. You have to work it over and over. But if you get it soft, you can use it for whatever you want, make shoes, gloves, drums, etc.

If you take that time to soften the channels, then the insight will naturally happen. So, unless you are going to follow the retreat route to completion, it's better not to start it. Because once you start it, you will have to finish the course. Insight glimpses just make you more hungry for more insight."

It seems there are many paths to Enlightenment, such as pure devotion, pure karma, deep meditation (with mantra), or a mixture of many paths as ayp. Perhaps, as we might understand Goenka, these paths do not directly eradicate sankharas. But it seems they do so indirectly anyway as they are paths to liberation (of sankharas) as well.

quote:
I have found that "sensing the inner body" is one of the most powerful practices that I have found. I do both mantra repetition, pranayama, spinal breathing (my customized AYP practices) and every now and then, when I don't want to sleep at night (ha ha) I will do 35 minutes or more of "sensing the inner body". At the end of it, I no longer feel my physical body as I become a cloud of magnetic bliss, dissociated and floating around.. However, I keep the practices separate by three or four hours and do it only on weekends or when I'm feeling sick or down because it is way too easy to overload.

Wonderful.

quote:
And, thanks again. I now understand that I must relinquish my craving for these sensations and learn to view them with more equanimity.

Beautiful insight.
Thanks to the all who are teaching equanimity; the Buddha, Goenka and yogani being some of the teachers putting much emphasis on this.

quote:
Anyway, I hope this helped you in your contemplation of mixing practices. One word of advice, the guru is in you, and if you seek guidance and direction from members on a forum, you leave yourself open to influences (sometimes with alterior motives) that may or may not be to your best advantage.

Thank you for this. It's been a valuable contemplation indeed. Influences may come all the time and from all kinds of sources. My feeling is that on this forum people post mostly for the benefit of their own or of their fellow practioners' practice. That is why I hesitate very little to ask for opinions here.I'll stay alert though, thank you :).

Best wishes,
Ruben
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  4:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
If I remember rightly, Goenka says - paraphrasing the Buddha - that the technique as taught by the Buddha 2500 years ago has existed long before the Budhha. Only, the technique had been forgotten and the Buddha's contribution was to rediscover it. Goenka says the Buddha did not claim the technique to be his.

did vipassana few years ago....i remembered the same thing what u said above Ruben....Lord Buddha just re used this forgotten technique....
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  7:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maheswari,:)
Perhaps it is true or not. I don't know. But this is what Goenka said in "The Discourse Summaries:
link: http://www.gurusfeet.com/files/budd...ersion.1.pdf
quote:

This does not mean that one should observe individual thoughts.
If you try to do that, you will start rolling in the thoughts. You should simply remain aware of the nature of the mind at this moment; whether craving, aversion, ignorance. and agitation are present or not. And whatever arises in the mind. The Buddha discovered, will be accompanied by a physical sensation. Hence whether the meditator is exploring the mental or the physical aspect of the phenomenon of awareness of sensation is essential.
This discovery is the unique contribution of the Buddha, of central importance in his teaching. Before him in India and among his contemporaries, there were many who taught and practised sila and samadhi. Panna also existed, at least devotional or intellectual wisdom: it was commonly accepted that mental defilements are the source of suffering, that craving and aversion must be eliminated in order to purify the mind and to attain liberation. The Buddha simply found the way to do it.

Thank you for the interchange.
Yes, the final point of sweeping the body is to feel the whole body as one cohesive unit. From "The Discourse Summaries" Buddha said: (link above)
quote:

"Feeling the entire body I shall breath in";
thus he trains himself.
"Feeling the entire body shall breathe out";
thus he trains himself.

Tolle's inner body is this:
link: http://www.soundstrue.com/guide/med...sson_more_14

quote:

In The Power of Now, bestselling author Eckhart Tolle introduced the idea of the “inner body—a field of energy within and around all of us which we can use as a portal to access the dimension of what he calls “stillness” or “presence”.

Here is Tolle's Inner Body Meditation (Kim Eng):
quote:

The Inner Body Meditation

Sit comfortably, in an upright chair or on a cushion on the floor. Sit with your spine erect. Close the eyes. And begin by turning your attention inward, on your breath. Don’t try to change your breath. Just be aware of the inhale, and exhale, as it is now.

Keep feeling the breath. If thoughts arise, just notice them. Return your attention to your breathing.

Now bring your attention to your body. Scan the body from head to toe and toe to head, noticing if there is any tension, tightness, or pain. I call this the outer layer of sensations. Just feel the sensations in the body. If the mind comes in, which it may naturally do, try to label your experience—“Oh, this area is tight”, “Oh, I’m in pain”—drop those labels. And just feel. Without the label, all of it is sensation.

Breathe into those sensations. Relax the body.

You may notice that as you bring your awareness to these sensations in your body, those areas that are tight, where there is tension, simply dissolve. We are not, however, trying to get rid of these things. We’re just noticing. And in that still aware noticing we can say the healing takes place—the dissolving of the tension, the tightness, and perhaps even the pain.

Keep being aware of your breath and the sensations in the body.

Now become aware of the inner body. If you don’t know what I mean by this term, simply hold your hands up in front of you—palms facing toward you. Make sure your hands are not touching anything. If you’d like you can rest your elbows on your lap or on your pillow. Make sure your eyes are still closed. And you can ask yourself—how do I even know I have hands? And just feel.

Perhaps you feel a slight tingling, a warmth, a numbness, or an aliveness. This is the inner body—that feeling of aliveness within. Perhaps it’s subtle; other times it could be very strong. Just keep feeling the sensation—the inner sensation, the inner body, of your hands.

At any time you can put your hands down, onto your lap. And now bring your attention to your arms. Feel the sensation in your arms. Don’t worry if you can’t feel the arms. Just go back to feeling your hands. Now feel your arms and hands together. Become aware of your shoulders. How do you even know you have shoulders?

Now feel your hands, arms, and shoulders together.

Bring your attention to the front part of your body—the chest, the abdomen.

Now feel your back—the spine, the shoulder blades.

Now feel your hands, arms, shoulders, and front and back of the body together.

As I mentioned, don’t worry if there is a certain part of the body that you cannot feel. Just go back to a part that you can feel.

Now become aware of your hips—the whole hip area. The buttocks, the pelvis, the hips. Breathe into them. Feel the sensations.

Now feel your hips, pelvis, buttocks, torso, the upper part of your body—the back part of your body, your shoulders, your arms, your hands together.

Don’t make any judgments about the sensations or try to interpret them, or even label them—just feel.

Now bring your attention to your legs. Feel the thighs. Are they relaxed? Feel your knees. The shins. Calves. And your ankles.

Now feel all of the parts of your body—between your ankles and your neck.

Keep feeling. Keep sensing. Keep your awareness on the inner body.

Bring your attention to your feet. How do you know you even have feet? What does it feel like? Is it warm and tingly? Cool or numb? Or alive?

Now feel your feet, legs, hips, upper body, back, shoulders, arms, and hands together.

Keep feeling and also be aware of the breath.

Now bring your attention to your neck. Then to your head. Feel your face. Your ears. Your forehead. Your jaw. Relax the jaw. Relax the forehead. Feel the top of your head, the crown.

Breathing, feeling.

Now feel your entire body as one single energy field. The inner body. The feeling of aliveness within. The qi flowing. The life force pulsating.

Stay connected to the inner body.

If thoughts arise, just notice them. Let them go and return to feeling the inner body. Feeling your breath.

Stay connected to the inner body. It’s your bridge, your access, to stillness, consciousness, life itself—the creative energy that’s within you, within the universe. It’s not your energy; it’s life energy, wishing to create through you. It moves through you.

Remain seated for as long as you wish, feeling the aliveness within. And when you’re ready, you can slowly open the eyes. But continue feeling the inner body. Stay seated for a few moments before rising to your feet.

And when opportunity arises, throughout your day, see if you can tap into feeling the inner body. You can just simply feel the hands. Feel it for thirty seconds, for one minute. Feel it when you’re stopped at a stop light or waiting for an elevator, or inside the elevator. It’s always here, if you’re willing to feel, quiet the mind, and become aware of the life energy within you.

TI
Go to Top of Page

Ruben

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  09:30:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ruben's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tibetan_Ice,

Thank you for sharing these wonderful links!

I recognize the passage from the Discourse Summaries that you quote. It is spoken out by Goenka in one of the videos during the 10 day retreat. From this passage, it may seem as though Goenka implies that the technique was the Buddha's contribution only.

Goenka uses 'discover' in this passage while at times he also explicitly mentions that the technique is not to be attributed to anyone (not to the Buddha either) as the technique existed before. Goenka also says in one of the videos that this was explained by the Buddha himself as well.

It may be that Goenka speaks of the Buddha's contribution when comparing the technique to what his contemporaries were practicing.
While when he speaks about the origins of the technique, he emphasizes that the technique has existed before the Buddha's existence.

Anyway, what exactly he means with 'discover' in the passage is not so relevant. What is relevant is the impersonality of the technique and the gratefulness of practitioners for its existence:
- In the course it is emphasized that practice is important, much more than the person teaching it (be it Goenka or the Buddha in his time). One illustration of this is the quoting of the Buddha's humility as a teacher (eg. by saying that the technique is not his as it existed before him).
- On the other hand, Goenka has tremendous gratefulness to his personal teacher (U Ba Khin), and the whole lineage of teachers of the technique going back to the Buddha. Goenka often expresses this gratefulness by mentioning what the Buddha discovered without anyone teaching it to him (as the Buddha's contemporaries did not know the technique). This does not mean that the technique did not exist before the Buddha discovered it.

Now how to interpret this? It might be that there have been people who knew and practiced the technique long before the Buddha did. It may also be that he only means that the technique (or its effectiveness) is always there as a Law of Nature/Universal Truth, whether someone discovers it or not. [In fact, Goenka mentions that the working of the technique is a timeless, universal truth in one of the videos. He compares it with the law of gravity: whether people know about gravity, whether they believe the law of gravity works or not, makes no difference for its existence, its being true.]

The validity of the first interpretation is probably not very relevant given the Buddhist perspective on time and space (with infinite cycles of mahakalpas each having their Buddhas..)...

Best wishes,

Ruben

quote:

Hi Maheswari,:)
Perhaps it is true or not. I don't know. But this is what Goenka said in "The Discourse Summaries:
link: http://www.gurusfeet.com/files/budd...ersion.1.pdf
quote:

This does not mean that one should observe individual thoughts.
If you try to do that, you will start rolling in the thoughts. You should simply remain aware of the nature of the mind at this moment; whether craving, aversion, ignorance. and agitation are present or not. And whatever arises in the mind. The Buddha discovered, will be accompanied by a physical sensation. Hence whether the meditator is exploring the mental or the physical aspect of the phenomenon of awareness of sensation is essential.
This discovery is the unique contribution of the Buddha, of central importance in his teaching. Before him in India and among his contemporaries, there were many who taught and practised sila and samadhi. Panna also existed, at least devotional or intellectual wisdom: it was commonly accepted that mental defilements are the source of suffering, that craving and aversion must be eliminated in order to purify the mind and to attain liberation. The Buddha simply found the way to do it.

Thank you for the interchange.
Yes, the final point of sweeping the body is to feel the whole body as one cohesive unit. From "The Discourse Summaries" Buddha said: (link above)
quote:

"Feeling the entire body I shall breath in";
thus he trains himself.
"Feeling the entire body shall breathe out";
thus he trains himself.

Tolle's inner body is this:

quote:

In The Power of Now, bestselling author Eckhart Tolle introduced the idea of the “inner body—a field of energy within and around all of us which we can use as a portal to access the dimension of what he calls “stillness” or “presence”.

Here is Tolle's Inner Body Meditation (Kim Eng):
quote:

The Inner Body Meditation

Sit comfortably, in an upright chair or on a cushion on the floor. Sit with your spine erect. Close the eyes. And begin by turning your attention inward, on your breath. Don’t try to change your breath. Just be aware of the inhale, and exhale, as it is now.

Keep feeling the breath. If thoughts arise, just notice them. Return your attention to your breathing.

Now bring your attention to your body. Scan the body from head to toe and toe to head, noticing if there is any tension, tightness, or pain. I call this the outer layer of sensations. Just feel the sensations in the body. If the mind comes in, which it may naturally do, try to label your experience—“Oh, this area is tight”, “Oh, I’m in pain”—drop those labels. And just feel. Without the label, all of it is sensation.

Breathe into those sensations. Relax the body.

You may notice that as you bring your awareness to these sensations in your body, those areas that are tight, where there is tension, simply dissolve. We are not, however, trying to get rid of these things. We’re just noticing. And in that still aware noticing we can say the healing takes place—the dissolving of the tension, the tightness, and perhaps even the pain.

Keep being aware of your breath and the sensations in the body.

Now become aware of the inner body. If you don’t know what I mean by this term, simply hold your hands up in front of you—palms facing toward you. Make sure your hands are not touching anything. If you’d like you can rest your elbows on your lap or on your pillow. Make sure your eyes are still closed. And you can ask yourself—how do I even know I have hands? And just feel.

Perhaps you feel a slight tingling, a warmth, a numbness, or an aliveness. This is the inner body—that feeling of aliveness within. Perhaps it’s subtle; other times it could be very strong. Just keep feeling the sensation—the inner sensation, the inner body, of your hands.

At any time you can put your hands down, onto your lap. And now bring your attention to your arms. Feel the sensation in your arms. Don’t worry if you can’t feel the arms. Just go back to feeling your hands. Now feel your arms and hands together. Become aware of your shoulders. How do you even know you have shoulders?

Now feel your hands, arms, and shoulders together.

Bring your attention to the front part of your body—the chest, the abdomen.

Now feel your back—the spine, the shoulder blades.

Now feel your hands, arms, shoulders, and front and back of the body together.

As I mentioned, don’t worry if there is a certain part of the body that you cannot feel. Just go back to a part that you can feel.

Now become aware of your hips—the whole hip area. The buttocks, the pelvis, the hips. Breathe into them. Feel the sensations.

Now feel your hips, pelvis, buttocks, torso, the upper part of your body—the back part of your body, your shoulders, your arms, your hands together.

Don’t make any judgments about the sensations or try to interpret them, or even label them—just feel.

Now bring your attention to your legs. Feel the thighs. Are they relaxed? Feel your knees. The shins. Calves. And your ankles.

Now feel all of the parts of your body—between your ankles and your neck.

Keep feeling. Keep sensing. Keep your awareness on the inner body.

Bring your attention to your feet. How do you know you even have feet? What does it feel like? Is it warm and tingly? Cool or numb? Or alive?

Now feel your feet, legs, hips, upper body, back, shoulders, arms, and hands together.

Keep feeling and also be aware of the breath.

Now bring your attention to your neck. Then to your head. Feel your face. Your ears. Your forehead. Your jaw. Relax the jaw. Relax the forehead. Feel the top of your head, the crown.

Breathing, feeling.

Now feel your entire body as one single energy field. The inner body. The feeling of aliveness within. The qi flowing. The life force pulsating.

Stay connected to the inner body.

If thoughts arise, just notice them. Let them go and return to feeling the inner body. Feeling your breath.

Stay connected to the inner body. It’s your bridge, your access, to stillness, consciousness, life itself—the creative energy that’s within you, within the universe. It’s not your energy; it’s life energy, wishing to create through you. It moves through you.

Remain seated for as long as you wish, feeling the aliveness within. And when you’re ready, you can slowly open the eyes. But continue feeling the inner body. Stay seated for a few moments before rising to your feet.

And when opportunity arises, throughout your day, see if you can tap into feeling the inner body. You can just simply feel the hands. Feel it for thirty seconds, for one minute. Feel it when you’re stopped at a stop light or waiting for an elevator, or inside the elevator. It’s always here, if you’re willing to feel, quiet the mind, and become aware of the life energy within you.

TI

Go to Top of Page

Danilcrag

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2011 :  06:33:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That was really very interesting post.What you said was absolutely right. Vipassana meditation has many advantages.

vipassana meditation
Go to Top of Page

harmony

Hong Kong
18 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  05:14:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit harmony's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a great thread.

I would like to ask anyone who has completed a 10 day Vipassana retreat (SN Goenka style) if there is an equivalent or comparable technique to Samyama in that practice.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  06:17:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello harmony
i did a 10 vipassana retreat few years back.....and NO there is no equivalent or comparable technique to Samayama in that practice....
that is why i am sticking to ayp
Go to Top of Page

harmony

Hong Kong
18 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  03:37:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit harmony's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, I noticed that the "The Discourse Summaries:
link: http://www.gurusfeet.com/files/budd...ersion.1.pdf are posted here.

I would like to know is this given as a handout during the retreat?
I thought they only made you watch a video of Goenka and was not aware of reading materials.

Would someone who has been on a retreat recommend that I read the summaries prior to attending a retreat or just wait until I am introduced to the material at the course.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  04:11:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
no handout is given during the retreat....
imho better not to read anything before doing the retreat
Go to Top of Page

harmony

Hong Kong
18 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  06:00:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit harmony's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maheshwari - so what are the "disclosure summaries' are they the summaries of the videos which you watch?
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  06:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i have done the course long time ago in 2007...as far as i remember they are a summary of the technique...
Go to Top of Page

Ruben

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2012 :  07:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ruben's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear harmony,

Sorry for the very late reply..
I accidentally came across your message now while looking for an ayp email.. Was not practicing Samyama at the time of your writing..

In Goenka's Vipassana retreat there is little practice of Samyama during in the sense that Goenka does not teach a Samyama practice until the last day of the retreat. On that day, there is a practice of wishing the fruits of the practice to come to the benefit of all, explicitly sending out positive qualities such as happiness and peace to all sentient beings (Metta), which has similarities to Samyama in aypsite with a little compassionate Buddhist twist given to it.

Even though during the main retreat days Goenka does not teach Samyama, he sings prayers and uses hypnose like techniques to foster the participants´ focused practice. Much of the working of this is explained in the way yogani illuminates the effectiveness of Samyama.

If you haven´t taken the retreat yet (recommended!!) and are interested to know more about Goenka´s practice relating Samyama, please contact me. I can consult the Discourse summaries and elaborate..

Warm wishes,
Ruben

PS:
Clarifying on previous retreats done and current practice:
I participated at four 10-day meditation retreats in the last 1.5 year or so (2 Goenka retreats, 1 Buddhist, 1 Hridaya retreat: heart centered-many traditions incl. Ramana Maharshi and Sufism), I am now using ayp as main and regular practice.
The insights gained during the meditation retreats stay with me and deepen the ayp practice as well as come to light during daily activities and practices. They were done out of bhakti and remain bhakti intensifying, helping with regular practice. I may well do more retreats in the future (would love to do an ayp one when the opportunity arises, or another Goenka/Hridaya retreat to deepen practice, especially the insight component). As adamantclearlight has pointed out in one his very lucide posts, Goenka retreats very effectively deepen insight in the workings of the mind and beyond, also giving plenty of subtle body awareness and bringing concentration and dedication to higher levels.
Ayp is wonderful as a balanced sustainable practice with incredibly flexible-minded, warm-hearted, inspiring and helpful practitioners. Even while I was experimenting with other practices before at the expense of ayp DM (on a 2 year spiritual journey in Asia), the wisdom of this website´s teachings and the sharing of practioners on the forum were always with me. Ever since discovering ayp (early on, at the beginning of becoming involved in spiritual practices) this site has been a major source of inspiration and feeling of coming home.
I needed to travel away from this home (literally and figuratively) to recognize it as home :)

quote:
Originally posted by harmony

This is a great thread.

I would like to ask anyone who has completed a 10 day Vipassana retreat (SN Goenka style) if there is an equivalent or comparable technique to Samyama in that practice.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000