Tantra - A Holistic View of Spiritual Development
 Prana observations, and questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  04:36:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
First off, Thank you, yogani. This site is amazing. I like that you detail the practices and key frameworks of ideas, and then let me connect the dots in my own experience however I choose. It is repeatedly blowing my mind with no end in sight :-) thank you.

I have been practicing the lessons for 2 months. I do pranayama and meditation - I initially went farther ahead, but decided to take things slower.

I wrote the following just after a solo tantric orgasm a few hours ago. It was a powerful experience which raised many questions. They are as much questions to everyone here, as they are notes for future exploration, and food for thought.

I am becoming more aware of prana flowing. I just had an orgasm, and it felt like all the prana I could spare in my whole body moved to my perineum. It gathered there for a while before launching out of my body. Afterward, I was very still.

Is the perineum a storehouse of prana all the time? Is it a tank for prana, which can be filled for orgasm? For the purposes of delivering as much prana as possible for reproduction? For transmitting as much life force as possible to the new life? I have just experienced to fill the tank with sexual arousal, and then to empty it by restraining the breath. Taking one full breath as slow as possible, and waiting as long as possible at both top and bottom caused the tank to empty - going form a state of powerful arousal, to a state of flaccid relaxation in the space of a single breath. Was I "breathing" prana out of my sex organ and perineum, and using it as oxygen? In some way I must have been. At one point, I took 2-3 minutes for a single breath cycle. At one period, I was taking one breath cycle at 45 seconds, while physically exerting myself. At one point, I paused with an empty chest for 1 minute. That's not very much oxygen.

Since I can feel prana leaving the body at orgasm, prana levels can change. I do not have constant prana. Sexual arousal is an excited state - is it that prana is flowing more? Is it that there is a higher level of prana than when not aroused? Is kundalini energy just prana energy organized into a sexual state, or are they two different energies? Is it possible to gain or lose prana to the environment without a physical interchange? Is there an unlimited supply of prana in the environment available through sexual arousal? What is the medium of prana transmission? Does it flow through any and every potential medium?

Being more aware now, I look back on my life. Not much has changed apart from this awareness. Did I have the same level of prana back then? Can awareness increase prana maximum levels for a person? Is nervous system purification and the gradually increasing kundalini stimulation in the AYP lessons training for the ability to store prana, and to channel a greater flow of prana?

Where does prana come from? It seems like the greatest source of life force is food - eating other life. How does energy use, in the physics sense, relate to prana? Is it possible to use prana to replace other energy necessities like food, water, and heat in the same way that it can replace oxygen? If prana can be gained from the environment without physical interchange, then this is the stuff of miracles. Even if physical exchange is necessary, could prana be stored and transmuted to other energy forms as needed?

Jeff

Edited by - JDH on Jan 09 2010 04:46:46 AM

brunoloff

Netherlands
47 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  10:40:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit brunoloff's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know the answer to most of those questions, but I found nothing inconsistent in thinking of "prana" as electromagnetic phenomena and consciousness as space. Whether this is the case or not isn't very important for the practitioner, only for the scientist.

You might like to know that the corresponding word in chinese, "Chi", is written by joining two ancient symbols for "Air" and "Rice". Prana = Food + Air. So they make it pretty clear from the start where the whole prana thing comes from. Call me conservative if you will but my guess is that although one can probably learn to slow one's metabolism to the point of hibernation, if one doesn't breathe at all, one will still die in a short time :-) Of course I heard that we breathe through the skin also, so this begs the question of what exactly "not breathing" means.
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  12:01:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Contrary to a lot of Yogic accounts of suspended animation i am firmly convinced, not entirely though, that yes it is not possible to not breathe for much longer than 4 minutes without suffering brain damage. Whether this applies to samadhi or not i do not know. And yes the skin "breathes" so to speak. That is one of the important distinctions to make for yogis who used to submit for live burial. They survive partially by air left in the pit.
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  7:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a follow up after a month more of practices - I have some more observations, hopefully worth.

I'm noticing the root is the main exit point for prana from the body. Both in sex, and in defecating.

For sex, if I keep the root totally relaxed, I can stimulate myself indefinitely. But if I lock the root, it starts a one way path toward orgasm. Even before I was building tantric awareness, I recall that the root and genitals would tense up just prior to orgasm. My idea behind it is that the exit point is being sealed off, so that when the prana is actually expelled from the body, only a limited amount will leave. Whereas if the root (exit point) were left open, too much prana would leak from the system. I think this sealing of the root is a prerequisite of genital orgasm (just my current theory), and that it's involuntary for most people, but with tantric practices you can gain voluntary control of it.

Similarly in defecating, the anal sphincter is relaxed (opening of the root) so that prana can exit the body. In this case I think it's much less than in sex, at least for a man. After doing my business, I notice I have rhythmic closing/reopening of the anal sphincter. Almost like its involuntarily shutting itself more tightly after each little open/close.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  03:18:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Defecating, urinating, ejaculating, and childbirth fall under the control of apana vayu or the downward moving energy. The diffierence certainly is that prana is not lost through eliminating waste nor is elimination adversely effected by learning to move the sexual energy upwards.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000