Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Hello / and questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Andrew

Russia
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  5:41:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Andrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone!

I have been reading AYP for about 3 years now. I started with some of Yogani's books before getting into reading the site and the forums.
I have not posted before now as I have been making steady progress.

After discovering that you cannot just jump straight into tantric and other advanced stuff I went back to the beginning and for the last 18 months have been practicing deep meditation using the 'I AM' mantra.

For about a year I have also been sitting in siddhasana (using a ball).

DM worked immediately and so pretty soon after that I started spinal breathing pranayama. This is where I began having problems. During the day for about 4 years I have been experiencing active kundalini symptoms, for the most part pleasurable, (triggered by a mixture of dubious meditation styles and new age practices found on the net before I started AYP). I feel these energy flows and pressure build ups around my body and in my head, sometimes around my ajna chakra. I have always reacted by dilating or relaxing the muscles in a particular area. (This came from finding that I could influence/limit the onset of cold/flu symptoms). As I became more sensitive I realised that there is a Left/Right handside energy imbalance (with the greatest energy on the right.) Eventually I responded by acting centrally and not trying to influence the left directly.

When I got onto spinal breathing I found it to be *really* hard going to the point that attempting to do it correctly with visualisation becomes a chore that puts me off sitting practice.

After a few months I found a post which suggested that you start breathing and just focus on the chakra that you are heading towards, either root or 3rd eye. This seemed to make SBP bearable to the point where I could practice it for about 5 minutes.
A few weeks ago I had a really bad cold and I could not breathe through my nose at all, so I started SBP using my mouth and I found that the whole of my spinal nerve seemed to light up like a neon, with energy just flowing (cold draughts upward).
Subsequently I have used only my mouth as I can trace usually trace the nerve from root to 3rd eye and back again, although less effectively than at first. My nose is very weak in comparison and I think it may be because of reduced airflow. Concentration is very difficult with the nose, and I find that I either can focus on breathing correctly/ filling my lungs or tracing the nerve but not both.
I would appeciate any thoughts on this.

Two days ago I read about solar centring and started to practice that as I wondered if it may help with balancing the left and right sides. I felt the need to accelerate my practice in some way. I think that my problem with SBP is indicitive of obstructions somewhere along my spine. I know that my lower chakras are definately there but for the last few years I have had (not problems) but a reluctance to connect with people and generally distancing myself from friends and family. I became increasingly aware of the reasons why people do seemingly kind hearted things and I just see the selfishness of it all so I just try and cut myself out of the feedback loop. Must make me look pretty cold.
So really when I started doing the solar centring, it felt quite natural and the mantra took a lower pitch than usual. It also seemed to resonate and repeat dissolving into stillness just like Yogani said. There's less of a tendancy for the mind to chatter repeatedly.
Having said that, I can't really say much about it at this stage.

It appears to me that practices can be split broadly into two types, those that 'bolt together' and must be added sequencially, and those that can be done independently.
So can independant practices be added out of step to increase effectiveness of main practices?
I have been practicing amaroli for about 6 months, gradually increasing the dose. Is it possible this could be hindering my SBP?
Is it possible that the same could be said of the siddhasana, and maybe I approached that too soon?

Any help will be appreciated.

Andrew

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  11:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Andrew, welcome to the forums

Your practice seems to be going smoothly. I think adding the solar centering was a good call.

Can't really comment on the left/right imbalance, since I don't have experience with that. However, my feeling is that SBP will gradually correct whatever is out of balance, energy-wise. Yogani's post on alternate nostril breathing may also be of interest:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=4139#35423

Alternate nostril breathing is said to balance the left/right channels. However, note that Yogani also mentions that SBP has similar benefits.

Since you seem to be responding well to the solar centering, I personally would give it a few weeks before considering any cuts/changes to practice. Unless of course you're having uncomfortable symptoms. Solar centering can have a grounding/balancing effect. At one point it relieved pressure in my head, which allowed me to continue without the need to cut back on practices.

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew

It appears to me that practices can be split broadly into two types, those that 'bolt together' and must be added sequencially, and those that can be done independently. So can independant practices be added out of step to increase effectiveness of main practices?

Not sure what the distinction is here. Are you referring to additional practices (i.e. samyama, asanas, etc.) as opposed to enhancements (i.e. kechari, siddhasana, etc.)?

I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that beyond the core practices of DM and SBP, there isn't really a set order to the other practices. It's pretty open-ended. All the other practices just enhance the effects of DM and SBP, to varying degrees. DM being the main cultivator of bliss, SBP being the main cultivator of ecstasy, everything else enhancing the effects of one (or both) aspects. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Perhaps someone else can comment on the amaroli.

Hope this helps! Enjoy the ride

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  09:05:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Eventually I responded by acting centrally and not trying to influence the left directly.

This is wonderful I am sure you have read Yogani's lesson on this. So this was the right way to go.

quote:

A few weeks ago I had a really bad cold and I could not breathe through my nose at all, so I started SBP using my mouth and I found that the whole of my spinal nerve seemed to light up like a neon, with energy just flowing (cold draughts upward).
Subsequently I have used only my mouth as I can trace usually trace the nerve from root to 3rd eye and back again, although less effectively than at first. My nose is very weak in comparison and I think it may be because of reduced airflow. Concentration is very difficult with the nose, and I find that I either can focus on breathing correctly/ filling my lungs or tracing the nerve but not both.
I would appeciate any thoughts on this.

If you ask me, I would suggest going back to breathing from the nose.
http://www.aypsite.org/41.html
quote:
"Keep your mouth closed during pranayama. An exception would be if your nose is stopped up and you can't breath easily through it. In that case, use your mouth"

The idea is not to have a wonderful scenic practice (wonderful if that happens), the idea is to work on the inner blocks during practice. So, if you are open to the idea of not having (as your mind defines it) "more powerful" practice, but go with a more "efficient" practice, stick it out with the practice as suggested in the lessons. You will not be sorry. You can try jala neti. That may help clear out your nasal passages and help the air flow.

quote:

Two days ago I read about solar centring and started to practice that as I wondered if it may help with balancing the left and right sides. I felt the need to accelerate my practice in some way. I think that my problem with SBP is indicitive of obstructions somewhere along my spine. I know that my lower chakras are definately there but for the last few years I have had (not problems) but a reluctance to connect with people and generally distancing myself from friends and family. I became increasingly aware of the reasons why people do seemingly kind hearted things and I just see the selfishness of it all so I just try and cut myself out of the feedback loop. Must make me look pretty cold.
So really when I started doing the solar centring, it felt quite natural and the mantra took a lower pitch than usual. It also seemed to resonate and repeat dissolving into stillness just like Yogani said. There's less of a tendancy for the mind to chatter repeatedly.
Having said that, I can't really say much about it at this stage.

I am glad solar centering is working for you. About if it will work on the left / right imbalance, I am not sure, maybe Yogani can answer that one. One thing that came up to say, if you are stable in your practices, or when you are stable in your practices, add heart breathing http://www.aypsite.org/220.html. This will help with opening the heart and feeling the connection back with your world.

quote:

It appears to me that practices can be split broadly into two types, those that 'bolt together' and must be added sequencially, and those that can be done independently.
So can independant practices be added out of step to increase effectiveness of main practices?
I have been practicing amaroli for about 6 months, gradually increasing the dose. Is it possible this could be hindering my SBP?
Is it possible that the same could be said of the siddhasana, and maybe I approached that too soon?

Yogani suggests adding practices as listed in the lessons. The only one you can add out of sequence is Samayama. Not sure if there are any others. However, if you were practicing siddhasana from the start, and just continued with it, it should not be a problem. A few of us at the forum had been sitting is siddhasana even before we began our spiritual path. It is a common way to sit in India. So, don't think that has caused any problems in you. But if you feel you need to back off siddhasana for a bit, that is fine too. It will not harm you.
Also, if you feel amaroli is causing you discomfort, reduce the amount you drink. Amaroli generally increases the spacious feeling within. But it also increases purification in some. So you will have to be a judge of this.

I would generally not tell this to someone posting for the first time, but I feel you will be OK with it. Please do forgive me if I am wrong. The one thing that came to me when I first read your post was you analyze your practices a lot. It is not easy to let this go. But it will help you a lot if for a few weeks, you just let go the analyzing and practice like you brush your teeth. Just do the practices and forget about them. Don't worry if the spinal breathing made your spine light up or you encountered blocks etc. Just practice trusting the practice knows what it is doing and let it go. When the mind is trying to control the outcome, it can get in the way and you don't get a 100% from your practice. Again, I would not generally say this to anyone who posts here for the first time, and I am sorry if I sound harsh.

Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

Andrew

Russia
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  11:18:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Andrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Cosmic and Shanti

quote:
Originally posted by cosmic

Can't really comment on the left/right imbalance, since I don't have experience with that. However, my feeling is that SBP will gradually correct whatever is out of balance, energy-wise. Yogani's post on alternate nostril breathing may also be of interest:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=4139#35423

Alternate nostril breathing is said to balance the left/right channels. However, note that Yogani also mentions that SBP has similar benefits.

I practiced something like this a few years ago for a few months without understanding that you were supposed to follow it with deep meditation. It was called 'cleansing the nadi's' and it seemed to have an effect. I may try it before SBP to see if I can kick start it.
One thing that I am interested in is the physical component to breathwork. Sometimes as energy moves I feel the gunge in channels of my head and my lungs and throat start to shift. This is encouraging as I stopped smoking about 18 months ago and I wonder what happened to all the tar.

quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

If you ask me, I would suggest going back to breathing from the nose.
http://www.aypsite.org/41.html

quote:"Keep your mouth closed during pranayama. An exception would be if your nose is stopped up and you can't breath easily through it. In that case, use your mouth"

The idea is not to have a wonderful scenic practice (wonderful if that happens), the idea is to work on the inner blocks during practice. So, if you are open to the idea of not having (as your mind defines it) "more powerful" practice, but go with a more "efficient" practice, stick it out with the practice as suggested in the lessons. You will not be sorry. You can try jala neti. That may help clear out your nasal passages and help the air flow.

Thanks Shanti but I'm still a little unsure because SBP through the nose is really difficult.
I can breathe ok in my daily life.
I can fill my lungs up through my nose as well.
I just cannot get from the base of my spine to my brow and trace it without either getting out of step or getting really hot and frustrated. Its a real drag.
What am I missing out on by going through the mouth?
Is there a way of breaking the nose practice down into smaller and easier steps?
I may go back to alternative nostrel breathing as a warm up to SBP and not spend more than 5 min on the whole lot just for now.

I do appreciate what you are saying about efficient practices with less scenery. On the whole I do not really experience anything visual which is why I was suprised by the appearence of my spinal nerve.

quote:

The one thing that came to me when I first read your post was you analyze your practices a lot. It is not easy to let this go. But it will help you a lot if for a few weeks, you just let go the analyzing and practice like you brush your teeth.

I do tend to analyse stuff in my daily life, I have to as part of my job anyway. For the last couple of years I have been shrugging my shoulders a lot and accepting things I can't control, partly as a reaction to the mind. It helps when things don't go your way. I guess I need to find a balance. I think in this instance, its the first time I've actually discussed what I am doing spiritually, and I havent even verbally spoken to anyone about it. My friends know I meditate but only because it affects the time I chose to eat.

Many thanks for your considered responses

Andrew
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  10:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Thanks Shanti but I'm still a little unsure because SBP through the nose is really difficult.
I can breathe ok in my daily life.
I can fill my lungs up through my nose as well.
I just cannot get from the base of my spine to my brow and trace it without either getting out of step or getting really hot and frustrated. Its a real drag.
What am I missing out on by going through the mouth?
Is there a way of breaking the nose practice down into smaller and easier steps?
I may go back to alternative nostrel breathing as a warm up to SBP and not spend more than 5 min on the whole lot just for now.

I do appreciate what you are saying about efficient practices with less scenery. On the whole I do not really experience anything visual which is why I was suprised by the appearence of my spinal nerve.

Hi Andrew,
You maybe right. If breathing through your nose is very distracting, then go ahead and do the practice through your mouth.

They generally suggest you do parayama though your nose and I was trying to find a reason for this. Most places I read gave a scientific reason and not a yogic reason (the nasal hair trap harmful stuff in the air and hence protects the lungs). Only one place said "Nasal respiration keeps the temperature of the Nadis (Vessels) -'Ida',Pingala and 'susmana' even."

Also, the Ida and Pingala end near the nasal area, that maybe another reason why we are asked to breath through our nose.

However, the ease of practice and practicing without distractions is very important. As you keep practicing you will open further and then breathing through the nose will get easier. So keep going as you are. You will soon realize you can breath through your nose with as much ease as you can through your mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  11:26:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

They generally suggest you do parayama though your nose and I was trying to find a reason for this. Most places I read gave a scientific reason and not a yogic reason (the nasal hair trap harmful stuff in the air and hence protects the lungs). Only one place said "Nasal respiration keeps the temperature of the Nadis (Vessels) -'Ida',Pingala and 'susmana' even."

Also, the Ida and Pingala end near the nasal area, that maybe another reason why we are asked to breath through our nose.

Hi Shanti,

I had this same thought myself lately.
And this is what i was thinking.

When you think about it, just like sambhavi mudra,say, or kechari mudra, i'd imagine the flow of air , at say the upper end of the nasal passage ( where there must be a plethora of gross, and subtle nerves) this may have a stimulatory and waking-up effect on the 3rd-Eye.I was thinking about how some techniques ask us to focus on the flow at the nostrils and was thinking how the sensations felt there like the air flowing could coommunicate how we regulate the prana.Like a conduit or short circuit.

@Andrew,

Regardless, if all the elements are not totally hanging together then if it is clunky or sketchy or through the mouth or whatever, then does not matter.Throught the nose just increases our sensitivoty seeing as there must be a giant nerve plexus there,gross and subtle..

I've only just arrived at this conclusion myself after 4 yrs of yoga practice. Mad, eh? Now it seems so obvious.... after studying the more subtler aspects of raja yoga.

I know that the 'Vignyana Bharaiva Tantra' says that there's a tangle of nerves, in the Unawakened ajna,that is, it's tangled, that converges between the eye-brows. Also bear in mind the Third-eye ( thx Yogani) the control centre,extends from right-petween-the-eyes and right through the middle- the pituatary and pineal glands,above the septum, to the back of the head too. So going straight down the throat kind of bypasses all this.

Perhaps ujjayi then also wakes up the throat chakra as well as increasing sensitivty in relation to regulating prana, prana-yama(?) ,as we feel it flow at the epiglottis(restricted) and employ a kind of kumbhaka there too.

The best approach is to do whatever you feel comfortable with- be that through your mouth- --good. Once you mentalise it you strain , and huff and puff...and you're not really doing any yoga anymore...subtle is good enough :).
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  12:13:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste All.....

I have only basically scanned this thread, so please forgive me if what I say has been said already....time on the computer is limited right now...

quote:
They generally suggest you do parayama though your nose and I was trying to find a reason for this.

I wanted to comment on this because this is what came up in SBP tonight during the weekly AYP meditation group here in Calgary.....I am finally able to get into Kechari 3 (as much as is possible for me because I have recently found that I have done some irrepairable damage to the septum in my nose) and I am finding that there are some pretty awesome benefits to breathing through the nose in Kechari stage 3. I found that on the inhale, having the cool breeze of the breath on the top of the tongue was VERY ecstatic.....it seemed to fill my tongue with prana. This also helped to keep the body temperature regulated as I could tell (from previous experience) that this session of SBP (my third of the day, due to hosting the group and having both my personal sessions earlier in the day) was going to be one of those "super hot" ones....the ones where you get the crazy spine sweats (I haven't had one of these in a while and have never had one while being able to get into Kechari 3). What I found was that the cooling breath coming through the nostrils onto the tongue kept my body at just the right temperature. I had all the other symptoms of the "super hot" sessions (the body shaking and spinning, some visions, automatic mudras and bandhas, etc etc) but not the "spine sweats" I would normally get....my temperature stayed balanced.

Anyways, those aren't benefits I was receiving before being able to get into Kechari 3, so they likely aren't applicable to everyone. Thought I would suggest to you Andrew, that you start a practice of jala neti....nasal wash practice. I've been doing it everyday for going on 5 months now....I do it in the shower so I don't make a mess. It's really helped to unstuff my previously stuffed nose.....
Welcome to the forum man.....hope to hear more from you.

Love.
Go to Top of Page

omarkaya

Spain
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  05:19:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit omarkaya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Andrew,daily practised of nadi sodhan pranayam is the best way to clean ida and pingala,when ida and pingala are enough cleaned.sushumna will be ready and open ,to gently arise kundalini with no bad experience.nadi shodan pranayam is the surest way to purify nadis.
Go to Top of Page

Andrew

Russia
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  2:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Andrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks everyone,

Nothing much has changed in the last day or so. I'm just going to see how solar centering works out over the next few weeks without altering anything else, except maybe adding jala neti. I think maybe I'm going to start packing sandwiches for work instead of getting fried food at lunchtime, and stay off facebook, more than is necessary :)

I gave alternate nostrel breathing a go last night before my evening sitting session. I'm not entirely convinced by it, sure it is a good yogic technique but there is no element of visualisation, which seems to focus the force in the breath. As for balancing, well if i'm acting centrally won't this happen naturally?

quote:

Hello Andrew,daily practised of nadi sodhan pranayam is the best way to clean ida and pingala,when ida and pingala are enough cleaned.sushumna will be ready and open ,to gently arise kundalini with no bad experience.nadi shodan pranayam is the surest way to purify nadis.

I can see what you are saying there Omarkaya, but I think in my instance I need to physically get into cleaning the passages of my nose using jala neti before the breathwork will be of much use.

I think as far as enlightenment goes I'm not going to get there by next thursday, so I'm beginning to reach the conclusion that its a bit of a long term project. I did start off by thinking that I would meditate as long as I needed to to 'get there', but now as long as I can see that there is a progression in the inside and outside worlds I'm good.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000