Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 Kundalini a distraction?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  6:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'd like to throw this out there, have you guys/girls kick it around and see where it goes.

Been a spiritual seeker/aspiration for about a decade now. Studied masses of literature on enlightenment, been meditating regularly, and devote much of my free time to Sadhana. However, I never worked directly with the kundalini but it has always fascinated me. Like an itch that refuses to go away. I keep finding excuses and reasons to continue to learn more about the kundalini but I can never justify it with my intellect.

I've resisted the urge to further explore for a few reasons. How does kundalini leads one to self-realization? Is this the goal of kundalini? Many have argued that kundalini has little to do with self-realization and can actually take you further away from the truth. Seeing all the amazing energetic experiences that take place I can see how this can further crystallize one's ego.

Many of the Adviatic schools of though seem to think that kundalini is irrelavant. Ramana Maharshi seemed to think that it was a long and confusing route to self-realization and Nisargadatta never even mentioned it. Zen schools tend to say it's a distraction.

Gurdjieff coined the term "kundabuffer" as it acts like a buffer from knowing reality. Zen calls it Mayko. Adi Da said it had nothing to do with enlightenment.

How does kundalini tie into self-realization?

Self-realization seems to be an energetic shift as well as a shift in identity. Perhaps this is the link?

Personally I'm not interested in Siddhis, experiences, but I am ready to die...

I'm totally and completely ready for whatever. I want to wake up to truth by whatever means neccessarily.

I'm ready to give up this imposer and experience reality. I've had glimpses and have access to pure consciousness. However these states are not stable and permanent.

It seems to me that traditional self-inquiry may be the quickest route, however I feel that I have many tendencies and impurities that keep me from abiding fully in the self.

Some of these questions might be superficial and some of my points way off. This comes from my limited intellect and perspective.

Humbly and with love,
J

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  04:28:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a bit about this in Yogani's Self-Inquiry book - http://www.aypsite.org/books.html#si (highly recommended reading )

quote:
Kundalini and Self-Inquiry

The word kundalini and the phenomena it describes have received much fanfare and notoriety. If we are developing a serious approach to self-inquiry, even when recognizing the essential roles of our devotion, deep meditation and samyama, we may be tempted to ignore the thing called kundalini, because it is so deeply associated with the body. Of all the aspects of yoga, kundalini is the part that seems to be most deeply rooted in the duality of existence, and therefore of least interest to someone who is seeking to realize the highest truth.

Nothing could be further from the truth.
Kundalini is about the energetic development of our subtle neurobiology, giving rise to the direct perception of radiant Oneness in our environment. While even this perception is ultimately transcended, it is a necessary stepping stone that all who are on the path will take. Even if the process of kundalini is ignored, the aspirant will still experience it as part of the journey to realization. If the nature of kundalini and its various symptoms are not understood, it can lead to delays in our development, because the risk of falling into unknowing distraction with our inner energies will be much higher.

Like self-inquiry, a smooth and natural unfoldment of kundalini can be facilitated by developing a good foundation of inner silence (the witness) early on. Once that has been done via deep meditation, then other methods can be applied to assure a safe and progressive cultivation of kundalini, the ecstatic energetic side of our nature that leads first to ecstatic energy flowing, and later on to direct perception of the transcendent shining radiance that is within us and everywhere in our environment.

This is important, because full realization will not occur until both inner silence and ecstatic conductivity have matured and joined within us. This is the essential neurobiology of enlightenment found wherever human spiritual transformation is occurring, no matter what means are being utilized, including self-inquiry.

Self-inquiry will not find its fruition until all of the associated inner neurobiological processes have reached their maturation and fulfillment. If we do not attend to them in a systematic manner, they will occur anyway, possibly in a chaotic way. If we have a choice (and we do), then a systematic approach will be preferred by most of us over an approach leading through chaos. Not only that – systematic is much faster than chaotic, so it is an easy choice. If we want to be stubborn about it and ignore the inevitable stages of inner transformation in favor of a fixed philosophical approach, then we will pay the price in both progress and comfort.

Those who are truly able to let go will notice the energetic processes occurring within them, and do what is necessary to optimize them for a speedy and safe journey into realization. Those who hang on to a fixed view will face the ironic situation of hanging on to letting go, to the exclusion of everything else, including the actual process of human spiritual transformation that is occurring.

Go to Top of Page

Jana

13 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  07:51:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jana's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kundalini is blue fire, ultraviolet light, biophotons and superlight.
It is superluminal communication within and between cells. It is an amplification and deepening of metabolism, consciousness, and feeling. Kundalini is the light of consciousness that transforms us into greater unity with the cosmos, stripping from us the shell of petty culture.

Kundalini is the energy of transformation that allows us to morph beyond our conditioned self. As such we lose our socialized pain body and grow greater senses, felt-sense, psi, depth and range of consciousness. We become "Self realized" depending on our natural genius for soul, our practice, sincerely and experiences. The "purpose" that spirit installs in us will largely determine our trajectory and destination. The goals we set for ourselves are likely to be miniscule compared to our true spiritual destiny. And so we must listen to the deeper call in order to become all that we can be. Kundalini and inquiry...or the stripping away of conditioning are the one same process of transmutation.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  12:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kundalini is more than just energetic cell transformation and conductivity. Those are the effective results from Kundalini activity. Kundalini is the active force of the divine giving a constructive push along the path. Kundalini is not controlled, but a path of acceptance and submission.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  4:18:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Some inputs out of direct exprience:

Kundalini is just a disctraction as long as it remains in the lower chakras and increases their activity. So your attention remains on the corresponding themes like survival, sex and power.

When that energy called kundalini brings the heart into more activity, love and first direct perceptions of oneness start to appear. When the throat area is more active, awareness of space increases dramatically and with it comes a flow of happening, acceptance, unimportance of what happens etc. Also the witnessing becomes much more apperent together with bliss.

When that energy again and again purifies the nerves in the areas within the head and brings the according centers into more activity, focus or awareness is automatically drawn to itself and more and more remains in itself, thus realization happens naturally and continiously. With that living out of that happens more and more.

Just can verify up to this point + need to add that this is most probably not the ultimate truth, as others report about transcendence of awareness at the top chakra. Still needs to be verified =P

Kundalini does many things. Not only does it direct attention through the openings of the chakras to their related topics and functionings, but also transforms all the thoughts and feelings into a much higher expression of now, radiant without borders. Your ego which is nothing else than a sum of thoughts and feelings dissolve together in exactly this happening again and again and again, never having the chance to build up again.

This happens for me when the energy passes the head up to the third eye and goes back the same route again and again. So you see, SBP does that job. But that ego-knot builds up pretty fast if you stop practices for some time. So fore me it is still nothing that has reached a final dissolution. It is more like an again and again dissolving through practices.

The yogic texts speak about three major knots that need to be dissolved completely so that enlightened living becomes permanent, or in other words so that the ego does not rebuild through new impressions.

The best is to see that there is some kind of fear about this topic in you and then to go through that topic fully and see what is true.

Edit: To give a more direct answer to the initial question of the thread: Kundalini is like a loving mother, doing everything for you so that you can enjoy and see what is true. She cleans the house, takes complete control over the driving car and with that dissolves you in herself. First you believe you do, awaken her, then you see she was already in charge all the time playing with "you"/herself. Then paradise unfolds.

Kundalini is not a distraction, it's the one thing moving. In movement the symbol of mother is often used, not moving the ever-same daddy is used. Both one as love. The answer from Yogani is already complete.

Edited by - Holy on Feb 09 2010 8:25:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jana

13 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  07:39:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jana's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome Holy.

Kundalini is not a distraction, but mundane human life is.

The first half of life is rife with longing while the sex hormones are strong…in tolerating this passion the saving grace is to focus the energy of desire into ones art, science, craft or contribution. Purifying, feeding, growing and refining the fruits of the soul. During a kundalini awakening this longing can be amplified many fold and the pushes and pulls of ones body armor, ones fear-triggers and the roots of our desire become increasingly apparent. There again, we do not shun or fight with the emerging psychic material, but harvest it into creative projects for the collective good and our own personal beatification. After ones awakening, and in the second half of life, we still are propelled forward by the momentum of our ability to harvest our youthful desire.

If we have fought against and suppressed Eros, or wasted our fecundity in futile indulgence, then as we get older it is unlikely that our soul dharma will be brought to fruition…and we would have lived a mundane human life. There are no vampirous entities out there...you are sensing the descended nature of the human species due to the increased sensory perception and increased sincerity/sobriety that comes with radically increased energy production and the opening up of new areas the brain. We have made the earth and the human species hungry for lifeforce due to our anti-life civilization...this hunger is readily perceivable as we awaken. On the other side of the hunger however is sublime and enduring satietation which we inevitably feel after the atomic energies of kundalini have reformed our bodymind to handle more light. More light means unity with All, and unity with All is the ultimate satisfaction.
Go to Top of Page

Adi

India
34 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  12:16:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello
i too have been affected by the kundalini virus for some years now, i can tell you that it has lead me to quit my job and its an alien force moving in me for seven years.however its both binding and liberating at the sametime its simply bizzare and naturally addictive.
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  07:10:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been on the K road for seven years now as well.

From my experience, I would say that K is a necessary part of fulfilling one's true potential in this world.

That is not to say that one cannot be great and/or holy without experiencing K, it is simply that one's ultimate destiny is only possible through evolutionary power of K.

It is a very painful path. In fact, I would say (counter to many people) that the stronger the K, the more suffering there will be. I would not advise anyone to willingly seek out Kundalini. I believe K will find you if it is part of your path.

Keep in mind that once the you pull that curtain away, its no use trying to hang it up again.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000