Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Revenge and Justice..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FrancoHolland

Belgium
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  07:42:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit FrancoHolland's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
First of all, I want to thank Yogani for these lessons, hopefully they will bring me somewhere, a place where few have been..

I wanted to ask a critical question, what happens for EXAMPLE if someone hurts you in a very bad way?

What do we have to do in those situations? Do we have to let it pass, and trust in karma? (and trust that the offender will harvest what he sowed?)

If we retaliate and vindicate, will this give the person who takes vengeance a bad karma and annilihate his spiritual progress?

Or is it okay to do so (take vengeance for whatever wrong has been done to us) in those situations, sort of bringing the scale back in balance?

I really hope that Yogani himself would answer my question, it would mean a lot for me.. I WILL take your advice Yogani, whatever it may be...

Thank you

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  08:54:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi FrancoHolland, and welcome!

Self-defense is appropriate in many cases, and in the ideal situation will be a positive karmic outcome, where all involved will move forward spiritually.

Revenge is not self-defense. It is aggression, and will lead to complications down the road.

It all depends on our spiritual condition. We act as we must.

In truth, no one is injured, for ultimately we are beyond events occurring in time and space. We are pure bliss consciousness. As we advance in practices and on our path, we find this as direct experience, and act accordingly.

On the other hand, current perception is 100% of our reality, and we must live from where we are. In that case, some common sense can help keep us out of the ditch -- paying some attention to the basic precepts of yama (restraint) and niyama (observance), and to the laws of the land wherever we are living.

Acting with intent to injure others will injure us. Breaking the law will lead to unwanted complications in life. And so on...

If someone is harming you, it is reasonable to protect yourself, and take steps to prevent repeat injury from the same source in the future. However, it is not in your best interest to attempt to injure the other for revenge. That kind of "justice" is fleeting, and will only lead to further cycles of injury to you and others.

Prudent self-defense and forgiveness make good partners. "I love you, but will not permit you to do that" is the way to handle those who are prone to violence. It may mean exiting a situation altogether, with no hard feelings. Actions performed on that basis are not personal. They are divine flow. But we may find anger mixed in, so it is good to pause to consider the consequences of our actions beforehand.

Moderation is the prudent course, but no one is required to be a doormat. We have a choice, and the high road is always available to us.

The main thing is to keep meditating daily. Then these choices become easy, because we will know through direct perception what is the high road and what is not. No one will have to tell us.

Wishing you all the best on your path. Practice wisely and enjoy!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

FrancoHolland

Belgium
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  11:48:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit FrancoHolland's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much Yogani, I will try to keep medidate daily, I'll keep in touch with you my friend
Go to Top of Page

porcupine

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  03:42:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit porcupine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
we must be ourselves, loving deeply, we must cry for those who wait hand in hand near the willows, passing pandas in tightened raven claws, their strength legendary, their hunger nascent. loving deeply, deborah the ancient bee.

we must be kind and hurt no one, lets all try this, to truly be harmless, to crush nothing, to cause no hurt indirectly, but only pleasure, it will never happen again, pain and wrong end here, pomo saiyazen
love is the source, know that love is the source, love is so good
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000