New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  12:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Akasha

quote:

From the AYP point of view, alternate nostril breathing is a relaxation technique.

I don't know where you got this from. But i disagree here. It serves to balance ida & pingala, and both brain hemispheres.

Hi Akasha:

= relaxation ...

From the AYP point of view, that is what it is. It may be something more from other points of view (under the hood), but that is not for discussion in this AYP support topic. Kindly take it up in other systems. Pursuing it here will only confuse the issue.

Thanks!

The guru is in you.

PS: For context, please review this.

quote:
From the AYP point of view, alternate nostril breathing is a relaxation technique. If and when AYP is taught in yoga studio settings, alternate nostril breathing will probably be introduced as such, and then it will be on to spinal breathing pranayama without delay.

Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  12:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Oh, and somebody has to break the news to Miguel that i'm a girl!!!...Hee HEE

thats always a good new here.

Edited by - miguel on Jan 15 2010 12:24:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  12:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
ive heard that some flamenco dancing ,could make wonders during menopause,VIVA LA VIDA Y OLE!!!

flamenquito rico.

its a good thing.

Edited by - miguel on Jan 15 2010 12:36:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  1:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rael, I can't speak from personal experience, but I was taught that for people over 65-70, beginning pranayama does more harm than good and it's better just to meditate. I would think one must take it easy on pranayama even before that. Taking it easy is just good advice generally.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  1:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alternate nostril breathing: I personally practice 9-phase alternate nostril breathing. It takes two minutes. It is not a core practice, it is simply a pre-cursor to pranayama, and as Yogani says, it just relaxes you before you dive right into SBP and the rest. In a sense, it is not a pranayama. It is for forcefully blowing out stale air. One only practices this in the morning. I do this after doing neti and nauli. It's like the waking up and shaking out the cobwebs procedure. One does not put any more importance on it than this.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  6:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by miguel

quote:
ive heard that some flamenco dancing ,could make wonders during menopause,VIVA LA VIDA Y OLE!!!

flamenquito rico.

its a good thing.

Hah Hah....good idea!

Edited by - AYPforum on Jan 19 2010 7:00:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  6:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by adamantclearlight

Hi Rael, I can't speak from personal experience, but I was taught that for people over 65-70, beginning pranayama does more harm than good and it's better just to meditate. I would think one must take it easy on pranayama even before that. Taking it easy is just good advice generally.

Adamant

Hi Adamant

I am only 54, and have a very strong, youthful system resulting from genes and earlier practices during my life, so i don't think i might have to worry about that, and there is no mention of that in AYP material. Thanks for looking-out though!
[8)

Edited by - AYPforum on Jan 19 2010 6:59:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  6:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

quote:
Originally posted by Rael

Dear Yogani

Might you have any comments on Omarkaya's approach?........I am reading the Samayama book now, which, so far has explained a little , but not to a great extent yet.

This seems like a core issue material, so, if you have a minute?.....

Hi Rael:

It is not recommended to try and follow multiple approaches at once, especially beginners.

There are at least 108 ways to do everything in yoga, and we can only do one thing at a time. Those who advise complicating practice without regard for the practices you are already learning ought not be heeded. As mentioned earlier, such advice belongs in the "other systems" forum category where it is not being imposed on people seeking support.

It is very easy to find (or give) endless advice on spiritual practices, but not so easy to stay focused on one approach that will bring us steady progress with stability over time of consistent daily practice. A competent teacher knows this, and will respect the journey of the aspirant, rather than try and bend it to personal will.

I suggest using the "KISS" method, which means "Keep it simple stupid!" That goes for beginning mantras too.

It is up to you.

The guru is in you.

PS: Also see this lesson: http://www.aypsite.org/19.html

Thank you Yogani!

Edited by - Rael on Jan 19 2010 6:55:22 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000