Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 What is the difference ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aypsisya

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  5:02:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit aypsisya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello Gurus,

What is the difference between Pranayamic breathing techniques and breathing that happens during our athletic feats ?

For example: When I swim, I retain my breath, I try to take as much as possible and also exhale accordingly.

Even during pranayama, we go through the same stages, then where is the difference ?

I would really appreciate if someone can throw some light ?

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  11:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by aypsisya

Hello Gurus,

What is the difference between Pranayamic breathing techniques and breathing that happens during our athletic feats ?

For example: When I swim, I retain my breath, I try to take as much as possible and also exhale accordingly.

Even during pranayama, we go through the same stages, then where is the difference ?

I would really appreciate if someone can throw some light ?

Hi aypsisya :)
The only difference between natural breathing routines and pranayama is the intended outcome (that I can see).

If you have ever observed your breathing as you go through a normal day, you will see that the body performs certain breathing routines:
- it breathes to keep the body oxegenated
- it sighs deeply and exhales to release unpleasant emotions
- it inhales to take in joy and pleasant feelings.
- it breathes heavily to take in extra oxygen to replenish dimished reserves after heavy exertion (such as the activity that you've described).

While all this natrual breathing is taking place, prana is also being directed subconsciously.

Pranayama is the art of breath control in order to control the body's prana. Pranayama can be used in these ways:
- rapid breathing while focusing intent to clear out etheric pathways or blockages
- deep breathing to charge the body and accumulate prana
- slow breathing to restrict the prana in the body thus controlling the mind (prana is also responsible for the creation and energization of thoughts. Control the prana control the mind).
- extremely slow breathing causing the body to go into survival mode which then releases stored prana in the root and lower tan tien
- breath retention to direct prana with intent to targetted locations in the body

So if you compare the two, you see that pranayama is control of the breath for specific purposes other than the natural breathing that the body performs in order to function.

:)
TI

Edited by - Tibetan_Ice on Jan 01 2010 02:02:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  02:38:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks TI... it was really helpful.

Especially knowing that in Pranayama the breath retention is done to direct prana with intent to targetted locations in the body.

However I am bit confused that should I know more about this or not? Its been happening to me automatically from a while... all of it- breathing deep, slow, extremely slow, retention. The targets keep shifting from one chakra to another. But prime targets are sixth chakra and crown for sure.

Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  08:02:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  2:48:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by manigma

Thanks TI... it was really helpful.

Especially knowing that in Pranayama the breath retention is done to direct prana with intent to targetted locations in the body.

However I am bit confused that should I know more about this or not? Its been happening to me automatically from a while... all of it- breathing deep, slow, extremely slow, retention. The targets keep shifting from one chakra to another. But prime targets are sixth chakra and crown for sure.

Thanks again.

Hi Manigma :)
Knowing the theory and 'how it works' is secondary to knowing only that it works. In other words, you don't have to understand it to make it work, it works on it's own without that knowledge.

Without knowing your practices I cannot comment on your targets. If the pranayamic "movements" are happening 'automatically', I wouldn't interfere with it consciously.. your inner guru knows what it is doing better than I do. :)

Part of my regular practice routine is to perform bhastrika or breath of fire or Kapal Bhati Pranayam to open up and balance both ida and pingala. Then I do spinal breathing. I think these two practices open up and balance the ida and pingala.

Here is a link to Kapal Bhati Pranayam by Ramdev.
link: http://knowyoga.org/tiki-index.php?...ati+Pranayam

A proper understanding that intention and attention play a part in pranayama is of great benefit to practice. In other words, it is important to direct your attention and positive intent into whatever pranayama practice you are performing..

:)
TI

Edited by - Tibetan_Ice on Jan 01 2010 3:49:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  03:16:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TI

I met Baba Ramdev last year. I told him I feel I have a Ramdev inside me and he said its in all of us.

Well my body does Bhastrika and Kapalbhati on its own. Before and sometimes during meditation too.

Then the energy flows upward like a snake rising its hood moving through each chakra until it collects at the third eye. My attention is focused at my third eye then. Its like my attention takes a seat there and I/my soul is sitting in the third eye.

Then I don't breathe with my belly for a while (~15 mins). The belly is tuck inside all the time. I guess Prana is collected with this and then thrust into the higher chakras (either 6th or crown). Sometimes also to throat by making Jalandhara bandha. I also hear cracking noises in the skull / forehead when this happens. Like something is being forced inside by pressure. No pain.

I also do various asanas. The recent one I am going through is standing on 1 leg with folded hands.

My intention during all this is to remain aware, be still and grow (action through inaction?). I was born without my knowledge/awareness but something is growing inside me with my knowledge and that I am aware of
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  04:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Aside from swimming I can't think of an exercise where the breath is retained other than pranayama. A major difference in the two is that swimming involves an active movement of body muscles. It is making a demand on the cardiovascular system. Pranayama on the other hand is very quiet. The oxygen demand of the body is reduced as much as possible by sitting in a still posture and only using muscular action to maintain posture and to breathe. That is a significant difference in the way the body deals with the breath. In athletic activity the mucles are primary and the breath supports their oxygen needs. In pranayma the breath is primary and the muscles play a supporting role in refinement of the breath. As such the effect on the nerves and brain are very different.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000