Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 CHEWING
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

christiane

Lebanon
319 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  08:29:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit christiane's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I should have shared this long time ago.. but now I felt the urge to do so.
We are not only what we eat. We are HOW we eat.
And eating can become a sadhana in itself.
Chewing is an essential aspect that is emphasized in scriptures, especially in Islam and the Gospel of Jesus.

Also I recommend a great book: P.E.P (Power Eating Program) by Lino Stanchich.

I hope you will get inspired by the below lines and will give it a try..

How to chew your food and what are advantages of proper chewing, why to chew your foods so many times?

It’s very recommended to chew your food until it’s liquid. Michio Kushi (the famous macrobiotic master) says, that 50 times per mouthful is optimal minimum. In his words: “100 bites leads to very strong health, 200 bites leads to enlightenment”.

When chewing, saliva acids are starting to digest the complex sugars (polysacharid) to disacharid. Then the stomach gets optimally digested food and continues with its acids to the colon.
Chewing has also other very beneficial aspects.

From the energetic view: your mouth works like a energetic oven. You are “baking” your food while chewing and you are activating the earth & heaven energy with every bite. When the tongue connects with the upper mouth it’s working like electricity and puts the charge into the food. The more you chew, the more you are getting very quality chi (ki, prana) into your body.

Also while chewing, the muscles of your whole face are working, stretching and that is very important for the good blood circulation into all parts of your face and brain. While you chew your food, the special brain cells that are important for good/clear thinking are activated and getting fresh blood.

Another good impact of chewing is for teeth. Every teeth is connected/related with some meridian and when you chew, they are all massaged and meridians are activated. The energy can flow freely. Isn’t that all so much beautiful? So, sit, relax, don’t hurry and let your mouth work a little more than you are used to. You don’t need to count your chews. It will make you stressed quickly. Count it for example few times and then you will realise from the liquidity of food in your mouth, the proper time.

Kushi is sometimes very strict, because he recommends to chew your soups very well too. It’s more about getting saliva into the soup content in your mouth than chewing any hard parts of food.
It’s still very good if you are patient enough to try it with your soups also. But, the most important is, don’t get mad by all of this. Anyway, I can tell you from personal experiences, if you will chew your food well, you will get very healthy quickly and healthy/balanced body brings balanced mind and with balanced mind comes clear, relaxed, self-confident, active, your dreams encouraging thinking.

All is very well connected in this yin/yang spiral world. Just start to cook whole healthy food and when cooked, sit and enjoy it. Your patience, love, thankfulness will be returned by the Cosmos hundred times to you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am trying to gather other sources about chewing here, so bellow is the long but very good article from Kelly Reith. It’s more professional written. Enjoy

Chewing Well:

The Salivary Glands Partners for Life

by Kelly Reith, BA, RHN Back
We all know how to chew our food well and that this simple act helps digestion. The litre or more of saliva that our mouths produce every day also aids digestion. But chewing our food well and allowing it to be coated with our mouths’ saliva can lead to digestive magic.
The following words are just a reminder of all that chewing, saliva, and chewing combined with saliva can do.

Chewing

Chewing your food, even without the aid of saliva, can help your body begin to digest your food.

Here are a few examples:

•Chewing well grinds food into small bits, allowing it to be more easily swallowed. Ever try swallowing a poorly chewed food? It actually hurts on the way down the esophagus. You can feel the food tear and scrape your throat.
•Well-chewed bits of food are more easily coated with digestive juices once in the stomach. The body uses less of its energy to digest well-chewed food than hastily chewed and swallowed food.
•Chewing well also allows the molecules of nutrients from the chewed food to be more quickly released and assimilated.
•Keeping a food in the mouth longer and chewing it well allows the food’s flavours to be recognized by the tongue. When the tongue recognizes the flavour it sends a message to the brain, which in turn sends messages to the digestive system resulting in the release of the correct digestive juices needed for that food.

Saliva

Saliva can do a few things on its own as well:

•It moistens the molecules of dry foods so that we can taste the foods when we eat them.
We aren’t able to distinguish many flavours in dry food.
•It binds masticated food bits into a bolus, which we can swallow easily.
•It lubricates the esophagus. In fact, the bolus of masticated food never touches or potentially
damages the walls of the esophagus.
•It is important to oral hygiene. The mouth is almost constantly flushed with saliva, which flushes
away food debris and protects your teeth from decay. Saliva can actually kill some bacteria.

But where does all this saliva come from?

You have 3 pairs of major salivary glands and a few minor pairs located throughout you mouth. The salivary glands create saliva, which is then secreted into your mouth via the salivary ducts. Sounds pretty obvious, doesn’t it? Well here are a few of the less obvious facts about the three main salivary glands:
• The first pair of salivary glands to be considered here are the Parotid Glands. These glands, located just under the ears, produce a serous solution. The oral serous solution is clear and watery, and contains the digestive enzyme amylase, also known as ptyalin. It is no wonder that these salivary glands are the ones most associated with carbohydrate digestion. The ducts for these glands are near your upper teeth.
• The Sublingual glands are located under the tongue and produce a saliva that is primarily mucous. Mucous saliva is thick and gluey. It binds the masticated (chewed) food into a bolus as well as lubricating the esophagus. The ducts for these glands are located on the floor of your mouth.
• The Submaxillary glands, also known as the Submandibular glands, are located near the jawbone, secrete both serous and mucous saliva. The saliva reaches your oral cavity via ducts located under your tongue. The Submaxillary glands and the Sublingual glands also produce salivary amylase.

Partners in Health

You now know what chewing well on its own can accomplish, what saliva on its own can accomplish, and even a bit about where that litre (+) of saliva that you produce every day comes from. Now let’s put it all together:
• Chewing well combined with saliva are partners in digestion. We all know that chewing well and mixing your food bits with saliva leads to carbohydrate digestion but did you know eating protein-rich meals actually decreases the amount of salivary amylase produced? Eating a carbohydrate-rich meal leads to a slight increase in the amount of salivary amylase produced in your mouth.
• Saliva acts as a first defense against bacterial infection. By chewing food well and creating more surface area on which the saliva can act, more potential food-borne bacteria can be killed.
• The bicarbonate in saliva may activate the enzyme cellulase found in raw vegetables. The enzyme cellulase digests the fibre cellulose. Together bicarbonate and cellulase begin to digest the raw vegetables. Chewing well also helps to break down the cellulose. However, the combination of the saliva and chewing helps the body to fully digest raw vegetables and receive their nutrients.
Don’t forget – even the most pureed soup or juiced veggies need to be ensalivated. Swish nutrient-rich liquids around in your mouth before you swallow. The carbohydrates present in the soup or juice can be partially digested by your saliva.
I once read that the mouth doesn’t make enough saliva to initiate carbohydrate digestion so if you’re chewing for that reason, don’t bother. Fortunately that ‘idea’ has been thoroughly disregarded by the many who know better.
Chewing well and tasting your food is just plain common sense. The fact that our body produces a substance (saliva) that makes chewing, tasting, and swallowing easier is a bonus to our vitality. Chewing well and saliva - each have their own merits. It’s when they work together that we can really appreciate the partnership that nature has created for us.

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  7:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for this, christiane. Chewing well seems like such a basic thing, but I can see the difference it can make. I see many of us just scarf down our food mindlessly, not paying attention to the food. Sometimes I even eat while driving my car or going for a walk.

Mindless ways of living are starting to wear on me recently. This post does inspire me!

Thank you

With Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000