Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Recommending AYP to people
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  09:06:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Have noticed that as you get calmer and more centred in your life because of AYP you attract more friends & acquaintances who want to pour out their troubles to you? You can see how stress they are, their general discontent or down-right unhappiness - some practically coming apart and you tell them - I know how you can get better and you tell them about AYP and they look blankly at you and will not even bother to try?? You can tell them all about your experiences and still draw a blank. Are some people happy being unhappy? i.e. they don't really want a solution?

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  09:15:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the mind is just simply addicted to it's self; Whether it experiences positive or negative things is inconsequential, because it will attach to and become addicted to either of those things just as readily it seems. So yes, in a sense people are "happy being unhappy". Maybe happy is too strong of a word, but they are used to their current state and can't imagine it being any different. They don't have enough conscious self awareness to imagine things any differently, because they have no frame of reference to compare anything to. Most people don't realize just how bad it is, so how can they be expected to want to get better?

Rather than introduce someone directly to AYP or some other complete system of spiritual practice, I would probably just introduce them to some sort of meditation or self-inquiry practice so that they could begin developing their own silent observer, and get a sense of how the mind actually operates. Unless of course they have already expressed an interest in Yoga or some other form of spiritual practice, then going into the whole of AYP is more appropriate.

Edited by - Clear White Light on Dec 11 2009 09:45:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  09:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can take a horse to the water but you can't make it drink.
But when the horse is thirsty enough, it will drink.

All you can do is provide the tools, they will pick them up when they are ready. A certain amount of suffering is needed to come to a point where you decide, "enough, can't take this any more". At that point, if they have the tools with them, they will use it.

Also remember, as you open, you will be opening more around you.

This topic may help: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=6542
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  10:54:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes just listening and being there for others is enough. Not everyone should be a meditator.
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  1:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've noticed the opposite - people being drawn to the simple happiness, and even people willing to practice :)

Some people don't want a solution, sure :) Self-sufficient joy, or self-sufficient frustration? :) Who cares
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  1:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Be the change you want to see in the world"

After a few years of working as a therapist I began to realise something that I was actually just working on myself.

Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  1:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Rather than introduce someone directly to AYP or some other complete system of spiritual practice, I would probably just introduce them to some sort of meditation or self-inquiry practice so that they could begin developing their own silent observer, and get a sense of how the mind actually operates.

So basically introducing them to AYP in a way that meets the person where they are at the moment - not introducing to a view or ideology, but stimulating and inspiring towards a personal exploration and inquiry - which is the essence of practice.
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  1:51:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by tadeas

quote:
Rather than introduce someone directly to AYP or some other complete system of spiritual practice, I would probably just introduce them to some sort of meditation or self-inquiry practice so that they could begin developing their own silent observer, and get a sense of how the mind actually operates.

So basically introducing them to AYP in a way that meets the person where they are at the moment - not introducing to a view or ideology, but stimulating and inspiring towards a personal exploration and inquiry - which is the essence of practice.

Yeah that's exactly it. That way you can introduce the ideas to people without having them too attached to some philosophical system which they may not be ready for. This avoids triggering many of the preconceived notions that many people have towards things like yoga and meditation, and minimizes the chances that they will be unreceptive to you.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  1:56:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey SeySorciere....

It's all about "planting seeds" IMO....you can't force the seed to grow, but you can certainly plant it! When the time is right the conditions for growth will emerge as will a beautiful practice.

With Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  3:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I keep advice very basic. Explain a little bit about stilling the mind, benefits of alignment of the body. Usually I refer to some studies on meditation and benefits for happiness. Depending on the person I might explain a little bit about how wonderfull energy is produced by certain practices and might even go into the bodys energetic system but mostly I have learned that there are clear limits to how much it is possible to explain to people untill they have at least some experience. I donĀ“t want to confuse them or scare them away either. Actually explaining the basics of enlightenment such as removing the pain of pain but not the initial pain itself and stuff like that often works quite well.

Mostly I just advice people to meditate on the breath or a mantra, learn something like the inner smile or secret smile and do that 5-10 min after meditation and to do a small but simple set of yoga like the five tibetans or some basic qigong and to preferably join a class of some sort. THen I say there are very advanced breathing techniqes and meditations and I can give them an overview of that when they feel they have gotten going with the basics.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  6:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When the student is ready the master appears.It happens.
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  7:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I quickly read and I agree with scott not everyone is a meditator.

I also think that each person has to come up with their own solution to finding their happiness.

I have no doubt that meditation is brilliant, though, and keeps an individual at peace or more peaceful-hence the reason I keep hanging around here.

I love the very idea that there are people like yogani and you, who share talks or non talks about silence.that is the only way.

help those that continue to need or are addicted to a bloody issue everyday by your continuation in stillness.

om shanti!
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  10:43:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Often when people come to you with their problems, they are not necessarily looking for advice. Sometimes they just want to be heard and acknowledged, sympathized with. If you offer help when not asked, they may perceive that you're trying to "fix" them.

I find that when it feels natural and right to introduce people to AYP, it's usually met with a positive response. Sometimes a conversation will lead to a question like "Well how come you're always calm? What is it that makes you that way?". This is the perfect time to pay it forward

If you cultivate silence, people will ask eventually...
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  11:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for your wonderful advice. The thing I need to learn the most, I have recognised, is to listen... simply listen. Incredible how difficult that is!
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  11:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
very nice cosmic-

stirring up my guilty conscience about money.

da da da da..... dah
dadeda

I suppose if one believes in infinity..it would be just as well to pay it backward? whatever point on the continuum-same dif?

well cosmic-how come you are always calm?

also- Seysorciere---
draw a blank?
it can be very interesting perspective to read about amoroli, mudras, frenum snipping, chakras, and tantric pinches to the testicles... bright lights behind my eyes...least I not forget merges...can be a bit overwhelming to read about...experience...
contemplate...

much like thinking of white water rafting...not really thinking about hydraulics, eddis, drowning.....
who knows;;;; is it row row row the boat..or a rock on the head?

get me?
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  11:59:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
any time anyone has a problem, someone has a solution, someone else knows what is best, someones always giving advice. for instance, look at Carson, he tried to get his wife to meditate, but only when he left, stopped trying, did she start. sometimes it works that way.
so if someone comes to you with their problem, oftentimes the moment you advise them is the moment they stop hearing you, they become definsive, etc..... so how can you help?
If they ask you why are you so calm, kind, etc... then you can tell them that "meditatoin helps me" therefore not foccusing on them

basically, if people here " I know how to fix you" they may turn away if they here

if you say"well this is the path Im taking for me" and you walk away,let go into silence so to speak. then they may ask if they can follw.
push/pull or step to the side
brother Neil
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000