Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Spinal Breathing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  05:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I think my Kundalini is dead !

I have been practicing Spinal Breathing for over a year now and I still struggle most days and nothing of the "scenery" described by Yogani seem to be happening. With DM, everything just seem to fall nicely into place not so with SB. I note someone saying that prana follows breath - yes - now that someone has pointed it out, I realise that often my breath stops half-way up (breathing in) and I want to breath out and it collides (can be a little painful if it happens in the solar plexus area) with prana coming up.

But as for estatic bliss - no sign of it. Unless it is mixed with the Love overflow I have experienced, which I associate with DM and I do not know the difference.

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  08:09:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What is your practice routine SeySorciere?

Also, don't go by anyone else's experience of energy. I have still not felt what many talk about at the forum of energy up the spine and/or the scenery. The reason being, when I read about all of this, my mind made a picture of what that should feel like. And since all the energy movements that happen in me and the scenery that happens in me does not match what has been experienced and written by many, my mind still believes I have not experienced energy the way it should be... but I know better now. My experience of it all is very subtle and easily missed as long as the mind is looking for it.

So just relax and enjoy your practice and when you stop looking for it with your mind, you will experience and enjoy your own energy experiences.
Go to Top of Page

Arjuna

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  09:25:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have no advice to offer, except to share a personal experinece with you.
I have been practicing AYP's (SBP and DM) for 4 months, and have not felt anything ascending/descending the spinal nerve.
Years ago, I was initiated into Yogananda's version of Kriya pranayama, end never felt any of the energies that those folks told me I was to perceive. After a few months, I got dejected, and believed that I was somehow broken, and not worthy of such a practice.
I abandoned kriya for years, and then an opportunity became available for me to take kriya initiation from another lineage of Kriya. I was initiated by Hariharananda's himself.(I thought this would certainly do the trick!) His pranayama technique was very different, but again I had no perceptable results for months. Once again, I felt that I was broken, and subsequently abandoned my practice.
This past summer, some 15 years later, I resurrected my Hariharananda pranayama, and after 2 months of diligent practice had suffered an extreme overload...ALL AT ONCE!!! I was so terrified and confused that I had regretted ever begging for a tangible experience.
Some mystical force led me to the AYP site, and for the first time I was able to educate myself as to the "hows", and "whys" of yoga practices.
For me, it was one of those "be careful what you wish for" experiences. Now, I am very aware and exteremely respectful of the power of pranayama. I am hopeful for a smooth, steady flight plan on my flight plan to the Divine...with minimal turbulence or loss of cabin pressure on the way.
The "approach your twice daily meditation practice the same way you approach brushing your teeth" is profound AYP advice.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  09:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SeySorciere:

Here are a few tips from the AYP Spinal Breathing Pranayama book that might be helpful:

From Page 12:

"If we have some difficulty visualizing and tracing the spinal nerve as a tiny thread or tube, then it is perfectly all right to follow the spinal column in a less specific way. Over time, we will find more definition in our practice. There is no need to strain or struggle in our visualization. The main thing is that we end up at the brow at the completion of inhalation and at the root at the completion of exhalation. How we get back and forth is less important than traveling from one end to the other without strain during our slow deep breathing. In time, it all comes together."

From Page 16:

"...There is another reason for resistance in spinal breathing – obstructions in the nervous system. These are neurobiological restrictions within us that we have carried throughout our life. With spinal breathing, we are coaxing them to relax and release. In the beginning, the resistance from these inner knots can be quite palpable. Some people may find it difficult to pass through a particular area of the inner body with attention and breath traveling up and down inside. The resistance can be found anywhere – the pelvis, solar plexus, heart, throat, or in the head. The resistance can be felt as a blockage that we can’t get past, or as some pressure.

What do we do? It is simple. If there is a pressure or a resistance, we just go right by it with our attention and breath. Easily right by it. We never try and force through inner resistance. We just stroke it gently with our attention and breath as we go by. This has a good purifying effect, and will not be uncomfortable. Discomfort comes from forcing against an obstruction. We never do this in spinal breathing. We just whisk on through. What we did not dissolve on the first pass, we will get on the next one, or the next, or the 10,000th pass, maybe years later in our practice. That is how we purify the inner neurobiology. And all the while, we will have the experience of less resistance accompanied by more clarity and fluidity.

With each spinal breathing session, we are journeying deeper within ourselves to realms of greater peace and joy."

------

So it is okay to slip by those stuck places. The procedure is to end up at the brow at the completion of inhalation, and at the root at the completion of exhalation. We can skip over obstructions and go straight to the brow as we complete inhalation, and do the same to arrive at the root at the completion of exhalation. It is not for us to be micro-managing everything in-between. As long as we are comfortably landing at both ends of the spinal nerve, the middle will take care of itself in due course.

And Shanti is right in advising that experiences during practice do not matter. Just easily favor the simple procedure of spinal breathing over whatever may be happening. If we are gradually feeling more centered during our daily activity, that is the proof of the pudding.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  11:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Shanti, Arjuna, Yogani

I do see the spinal nerve; blue when it is very thin, "light glow" when it grows to about an inch in size; it eventually moves from my spine to the centre of my body connecting my anus direct to my crown opening, it is then a wide column of moving energy but totally dark /black - I can't see it anymore. Aren't it supposed to be filled with light? And estatic? I don't feel that. In fact I have never experienced any "light displays".

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000