Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Is there no escape from side-effects of technology
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crazymandrew

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  05:59:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit crazymandrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've been thinking about this subject a lot lately because of Louis CK talking about technology on Conan O'Brien. "It's almost like everything's amazing but nobody's happy". I can tell you over-use of video games, television, and the internet seemed to cause a lot of unhappiness for me in the past (or at least it seemed that way).

Another thing that has got me thinking is a book I'm reading Called "The One Hundred Year Lie". The book basically talks about how much synthetic chemicals have damaged our health and it really would be better if we stepped back and stopped using them so much. Good health isn't convenient!

Is there no escape from side-effects of technology? Or does technology really need to be used more cautiously? Examples such as organic foods, better testing of synthetic chemicals, more balance life-styles instead of playing video games 6 hours a day?

What do you think about this?

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  07:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Everyone knows the answer including you.

BTW, I am playing Mass Effect on my PC these days: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Effect

Here are some of my favorite 'enlightening' quotes from it. The game even teaches about Tantric Sex and has some awesome explanation:

A million lightyears from where humanity began, and we walk into a bar filled with drunk men drooling over half-naked women shaking their asses on a stage. I can't decide if that's funny or sad. - Ashley

Organic life is nothing but a genetic mutation, an accident. Your lives are measured in years and decades. You wither, and die. We are eternal. The pinnacle of evolution and existence. Before us, you are nothing. Your extinction is inevitable. We are the end of everything. - Sovereign

A pessimist is what an optimist calls a realist. - Ashley

I'm pleased that the imminent destruction of all organic life has improved your career opportunities. - Tali

Is submission not preferable to extinction? - Saren

Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding. - Sovereign

There is a realm of existence so far beyond your own, you cannot even imagine it. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Sovereign. - Sovereign

We have no beginning. We have no end. We are infinite. Millions of years after your civilization has been eradicated and forgotten, we will endure. - Sovereign

Edited by - manigma on Dec 05 2009 08:15:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  10:08:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a good game!
My thoughts on some of the statements are in parentheses:

A million lightyears from where humanity began, and we walk into a bar filled with drunk men drooling over half-naked women shaking their asses on a stage. I can't decide if that's funny or sad. - Ashley

(Hey; Ashley is the one walking in that bar! I like to go to places, not drunk, where women are expert dancers and move their asses in incredibly beautiful ways. I don't drool over them!)

A pessimist is what an optimist calls a realist. - Ashley

(Wrong - this is written by a pessimist! Neither an optimist nor a pessimist think the other is a realist.)

I'm pleased that the imminent destruction of all organic life has improved your career opportunities. - Tali

(HA HA! So is this saying all of organic life is more than just a "genetic mutation"?)

Is submission not preferable to extinction? - Saren

(It is if you are submissive. Others say "give me liberty or give me death!)

Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding. - Sovereign

(Back to the drunks in the bar again - some of us are more than blood and flesh at times)

Go to Top of Page

seamus23

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  10:55:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit seamus23's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
over use of anything can be detrimental to expanding ones consciousness

about fifty years ago, there was concern that many young men were reading too much, and were too "bookish"

every era in human history has offered distractions. And those who partake of these distractions are walking the path they need to, at that point in their journey.

same thing with synthetic chemicals. They do have great uses. Preserving food from rot and insects means far fewer people starve to death or are malnourished. Modern drugs mean fewer of us die from polio, measles and malaria.

In my opinion, it is best to decide for oneself the level of ones involvement with these things. Communicate with others if the opportunity arises, but worrying serves no good purpose. As I said above, they are learning the lessons and having the experiences they need to have.

Be grateful to them for having these experiences, for following their path, and, if appropriate, for demonstrating to us that such activities are not what we want for ourselves.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000