Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Pranayama while lying down
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  09:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear Yogani,
Today I was lying down on the couch listening to a friend of mine reading AYP lessons for me (what a luxury!). As I was listening, I felt like doing some spinal breathing and I started doing it as I was lying down and with my eyes open. I continued this for about an hour and then did a few minutes of cosmic samyama to add the inner silence component to it. I have to say I felt great for the rest of the day. Now I'm wondering 1)how important is the sitting position? If I can feel ecstatic while lying down why should I not be able to practice Pranayama, Meditation and Samyama in that pose? and 2)If I lie down on sides and bring my legs towards my stomach to create a 90 degrees angle between my thighs and my upper body, would that be the same as a sitting position? 3)SB Pranayama is a smooth practice for me and never creates trouble for me (in other words no self pacing issue). Is it alright to do SBP through out the day whenever I'm sitting at home or in the office and have some time in hand?

Edited by - Emil on Nov 28 2009 09:55:08 AM

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  4:11:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
BKS Iyengar teaches pranayama to beginners lying on the back with a pillow under the spine and head to lift the chest. This is a good and relaxing way to gently explore and open the breathing process. Eventually if you are like me you will want to sit as it gives a more alert and precise way to practice as well as the influence of gravity is a factor. If you choose to practice pranayama lying down I am sure that yo can find good instructions from a google search.
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  10:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Emil, Yogani addressed issue #3 really well here: http://www.aypsite.org/43.html

I think in lesson 232 (uber long if I'm remembering the right one!!!) he said that for the best results to follow the practice as described. It seems like he addressed the issues for 1 and 2 above somewhere in the Q&A and lessons, but I'm having a hard time finding it!

anyway, it sounds like your experiences are beautiful!

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  10:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Victor,
Kathy, I understand the importance of practicing Pranayama and Meditation together. In my daily routine I practice both of them the way Yogani has instructed. My question 3 refers to extra practice of Pranayama outside the routine (i.e. while walking, watching TV etc).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000