Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 How do you get past the subconscious?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  07:39:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I think i am right in saying that the superconscious state is what Yogani calls "pure bliss consciousness" which is also awareness without thoughts. Going deep inside, you bypass the conscious mind somewhat and get to the subconscious, which seems to be a light hypnagogic state. This can be a big obstacle because in this state you are prone to hallucinations somewhat. So my question is, besides regular practice of deep meditation, is there any way of bypassing the subconscious?

My second question is, once you achieve a relaxed superconscious thought free state, how do you project visions that are true? By this i mean precognition of future events as well as any God related visions such as the spiritual eye.

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  09:54:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It would seem to me that the best way to "deal with" the subconscious aspects of the mind is through meditation and other spiritual practices. You seem to be equating the subconscious mind with some sort of degree of trance state, which is a little different from how I understand it. The contents of our subconscious are subconscious (for the most part) because they are traumatic, harmful or in some other way disagreeable to the unity of the self. So, since we humans are equipped with methods to ensure the homeostasis of the organism, these harmful contents are pushed down from our ordinary state of waking consciousness, down into the subconsciousness, so we can continue to function normally (or at least as normally as possible..). As we increase our levels of inner silence and clarity, these repressed materials find their way back up through the threshold of consciousness to be experienced and integrated into the whole of the self once more. This processes is what people commonly refer to as "resolving karma".
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  8:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's not all harmful, mostly the harmful bits are simply repressed emotions and dealing with these emotions is a sure way of becoming stronger. The subconscious is more like a young child that likes to do things for you and sits at the base of everything we experience as learned response. Learning to listen to it is helpful.

Light trance is a good way to access the subconscious directly. It's the subconscious that is supposed to be the gateway to the higher self. I can't comment on that having any real basis in fact, but it would seem to act as the inner Guru.

Can't help thinking that simply wanting to bypass the subconscious is missing a vital part of self development. It really does want the best for you and if the best is to reach the higher self, then it will be all to happy to help.

I do talk about the SC as a seperate thing, when I work with people it is often helpful to do this in order to get straight to the root of the real goal.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  9:15:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. The subconscious is not a state. It is a workhorse computer with the brain of a child. It is programmed by you, and then it performs tasks you assign to it. The simplicity of operation of the subconscious is the reason a lot of people have trouble with changing repetitive behavior.
For instance if you constantly tell yourself "I will quit smoking", the subconscious will work against you. It doesn't understand negatives. All it hears is "I will....smoking".
it also doesn't understand "I don't smoke". However, it will accept "Smoking makes me sick" if it is received in a completely conscious, whole-brain state.

But yes, as said above, meditation is the answer. You don't need to bypass the subconscious, as it is a tool of the conscious mind. Meditation automatically straightens out the kinks in the subconscious and releases stored emotions.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  07:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

I agree. The subconscious is not a state. It is a workhorse computer with the brain of a child. It is programmed by you, and then it performs tasks you assign to it. The simplicity of operation of the subconscious is the reason a lot of people have trouble with changing repetitive behavior.
For instance if you constantly tell yourself "I will quit smoking", the subconscious will work against you. It doesn't understand negatives. All it hears is "I will....smoking".
it also doesn't understand "I don't smoke". However, it will accept "Smoking makes me sick" if it is received in a completely conscious, whole-brain state.

But yes, as said above, meditation is the answer. You don't need to bypass the subconscious, as it is a tool of the conscious mind. Meditation automatically straightens out the kinks in the subconscious and releases stored emotions.

"Don't think of a blue tree"

So many things can be changed. I also now understand that the changes I seem to make in others, are really only changes made within myself. "Perception is projection" combined with "as above, so below" is what you see in others is only a reflection of yourself regardless of it being God or an Earthworm.

Gumpi, just follow the path, expect nothing, demand nothing, do this for others without expecting any reward, return or acknowledgement in your lifetime or in infinite lifetimes to come. You are already that which you seek and the path will allow you to realise that one day.

Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  12:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Someone said, "Wherever you go, there you are."

Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  2:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As the Agents said in the Matrix, "I think we are asking the wrong questions."
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  5:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's ok. I never saw the Matrix.

I'm taking my idea from somewhere else. Some people may recognise where. But i am certainly not asking the wrong questions.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  11:30:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gumpi wrote:
"So my question is, besides regular practice of deep meditation, is there any way of bypassing the subconscious?"

The reason they are saying that is the wrong question is because:
1) There is no reason to bypass the subconscious. It's only one part of your mind.
2) I think the results you want are most easily brought about by regular deep meditation.

So to us this question looks like "Is there a way to nourish the body without eating?"
The answer is yes, but it is way easier and better to just eat, as the alternatives are unnatural, difficult, unreliable, and have bad side effects.
Same thing with your question. There are ways of controlling the subconscious, and there are ways of circumventing the programming of the subconscious. If you shut it down you would operate like a mentally ill person. So it's a strange thing to wish for.
Better to just meditate.

Once you meditate enough and reach inner silence, sometimes visions happen, but they are just "scenery". Inner silence brings the kind of rewards you are looking for with true visions. It is hard to understand until it happens to you, but as you continue on the path you will find your desires will be fulfilled, but often in a different way than you expected.

Edited by - Etherfish on Nov 29 2009 11:37:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  12:23:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nicely said Etherfish. I'm liking the 'eating' analogy

Go to Top of Page

chinna

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  5:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit chinna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One can't bypass the subconscious any more than it is already bypassed and remain a functioning human being. By its very nature, the subconscious is bypassed in waking consciousness.

The mind is almost wholly subconscious. A very tiny part is conscious at any one time. The subsconscious contains a huge panoply of skills and learnings which are accessed all the time. For example, how to breathe, how to walk, how to eat. how to talk, how to see, how to hear, how to taste, how to enjoy. To lose one or more of these is, in most circumstances, catastrophic for the person.

The emotional traumas present in our subconscious are a tiny part of the unconscious mind, prone to assuming a disproprtionate place in the picture. Returning them most effectively to their proportionate place is the work of psychotherapy.

Splitting off a part of the mind from the whole can be done, via lobotomy or certain forms of medication, but both are inexact techniques and in most cases only to be attempted as the lesser of two evils.

'Bypassing' the whole of consciousness, conscious and subconscious, is the aim of the jnana yogi, by noticing her/his identification with all of that, and realising that such identification is unnecessary. It is a simple, albeit extremely subtle and for most of us difficult, adjustment to make. But worth it. All the promises of the scriptures are realised to be true.

Attempting to split off the subconscious, or indeed attempting any split within the whole (holy) human person, for example splitting off certain drives for moral reasons, will at the least be a pointless diversion, and at worst an invitation to human 'shipwreck'.

chinna

Edited by - chinna on Nov 30 2009 5:10:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  8:43:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
from wiki:

"The term subconscious is used in many different contexts and has no single or precise definition. This greatly limits its significance as a meaning-bearing concept, and in consequence the word tends to be avoided in academic and scientific settings"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000