Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Shadow Man
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tomllee

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  11:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
For the last few months, sometimes during meditation it is as if I see myself as a shadow for a few moments...just a glimpse. Last night, while on the front porch enjoying a rain storm, I started doing Sambhavi because of the strong and smooth activity at my third eye and crown chakras. After enjoying the internal journey for a minute or so, I opened my eyes and was startled to see what seemed to be my own full-sized shadow standing right in front of me. It disappeared almost immediately but left me surprised and bewildered and a tiny bit scared. Does anyone know what this phenomenon is? Or who (or what) that "shadow me" actually is? Thanks for pondering this and sharing your knowledge and thoughts.

christiane

Lebanon
319 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  12:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit christiane's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tomllee,

"Technically" or "scientifically", I will leave it to others here who may explain this "vision'..

But I can share with you this "shadow" like feeling or realization..
and it's happening more and more often here..
and yes it can be scary because it puzzles the mind and the mind tries to catch something explainable rationally..
I have this general feeling that everything is shadows..
nothing is real except this emptiness that has been experienced "really" several times inside.. this seems to be the constant truth.. all the rest is nothing but illusions, shadows, or what they call "scenery"...

Maybe others here will share a more "practical" response :)

Edited by - christiane on Nov 16 2009 1:31:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  1:17:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tom,

Something which might be related which i read about in the past was a story of Goethe seeing his "double". Look around the internet for the story, it might be somewhere.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

chinna

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  5:28:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit chinna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Carlos Castenada wrote about this in his Don Juan stories, as something which, at some stage on the path, the adept could do.

chinna
Go to Top of Page

tomllee

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  6:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
christiane, gumpi and chinna...thank you all for your input and thoughts. I had forgotten Castaneda's references to that phenomenon from readings some time ago. I have had out of body experieces which prompted my readings on the subject and Goethe's early mention of them. They stopped when I started meditating or, as your comments suggest, have changed form. I did not like (was frankly terrified by) some of my out of body experiences...they seemed more real than my daily reality and that seemed to undermine the love I felt for my family and friends...made me scared and sad. A few were wonderful beyond words and some were mundane. In any case, I understand that my job is to note these "shadow man" experiences and continue to meditate without getting bogged down in them...just appreciate them and go on and to appreciate those experiences as an opportunity to reach out and make further contact with this community of very special people...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000