Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 Problems with Throat - Part II
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  8:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Okay guys, lately the energy has gone from vibrations and numbing and buzzing tingling all over the body to a more dynamic version. I feel it rush up and get stuck and blocked at the throat, very strong to the point I feel as if I am going to choke. It also feels kind of stuck in my head, as if the throat is limiting a smoother flow. I understand now how people experience kundalini as a snake! It is very dense and very powerful, and feel it mainly straight up along my central channel, not spiraling up it. For the last couple weeks I have been scared of it thinking my head would burst or something and when I experience it I stop meditating to allow for it to calm down. But for the last couple days I allowed it, and nothing bad happened, lots of energy, no burst, no explosion, and after my session it calmed down. I tried the jalandhara both during SB and meditation but I do not think I am doing it right because it is not helping. I have a hard time with SB to begin with, it feels complicated and when I try rotating my head around I can't concentrate on everything else, and I seem to lose the breath as I move up from the chest to the third eye,like it is restricted there or something. I tried doing SB with my head down to my chest and it makes it hard to follow the breath up past my chest to the head. Am I doing this wrong? When am I supposed to breathe in - when my head is at the chest and breathe out when it is rotated back? Or should I just keep my head down at the chest and do SB?

A couple other questions- Is it normal to feel the energy straight up the central channel or is it supposed to spiral up around it? I have heard of the granthi or whatever it is called- is this what I am experiencing? If so, should I leave it alone and hope the energy will blast through it without causing me any problems? What if the energy cannot get past the blockage- will it result in a 'reverse awakening' and shoot down instead of go up like it is supposed to?

Thanks in advance!

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  11:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani are you out there?

Sorry if you are busy but can you clarify on what parts of the head rotation I inhale and exhale for the jalandhara lite? And does the head rest down at the chest in the lite version? Sorry if I missed this somewhere but I can't seem to find the details of the breath anywhere and I am confused...

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4481 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  4:37:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bellamente,

I am sure Yogani will reply when he gets a chance. In the meantime...

It sounds like your kundalini is awakened and has risen to the level of your vishudi chakra.

quote:
I tried the jalandhara both during SB and meditation but I do not think I am doing it right because it is not helping.

Personally I'm not a big believer in the power of jalandhara bandha as a tool for clearing energy blockages in the throat. My own belief is that if you simply continue with pranayama and meditation, blockages will become cleared in their own time, and everything will happen just as it is meant to. SBP is a very powerful tool for clearing blockages along the sushumna nadi.

quote:
I have a hard time with SB to begin with, it feels complicated and when I try rotating my head around I can't concentrate on everything else, and I seem to lose the breath as I move up from the chest to the third eye,like it is restricted there or something.

With Chin pump lite, I wouldn't worry too much about how accurately you are able to trace the spinal nerve, or follow the breath. If you are rotating your head, and moving your attention between the root and brow in vague synch with the breath then I believe that is good enough for the process to be effective.

quote:
I tried doing SB with my head down to my chest and it makes it hard to follow the breath up past my chest to the head. Am I doing this wrong?

The instructions for adding jalandhara bandha to a practice are the same for adding any bandha, or mudra. It should only be done if it does not destract from the main practice. If you find that jalandhara bandha detracts from the main procedure of SBP then I would leave it out.

quote:
When am I supposed to breathe in - when my head is at the chest and breathe out when it is rotated back?

quote:
And does the head rest down at the chest in the lite version?

With chin pump lite, you breathe out as you begin to rotate your head in full cirlces slowly, letting the head fall down accross the chest as it passes. You will be tracing (or trying to) trace the spinal nerve down to the root as you do so. Then you breath in, still rotating your head in the same direction and trace the spinal nerve back up to the brow. When you reach the brow, at the top of the in-breath, you then reverse the direction of the rotation of your head and breathe out again slowly. So the head doesn't rest at the chest at any point during the practice other than at the beginning and end if you start and end in jaladhara bandha.

http://www.aypsite.org/144.html

quote:
A couple other questions- Is it normal to feel the energy straight up the central channel or is it supposed to spiral up around it?

It is quite normal to feel the energy going straight up your spine. There are also energies which spiral around the sushumna, but I believe that with a normal sushumna based kundalini awakening these won't be felt until later on.

quote:
I have heard of the granthi or whatever it is called- is this what I am experiencing? If so, should I leave it alone and hope the energy will blast through it without causing me any problems?

Traditionally there are said to be three granthis, one in the muladhara, one in the heart and one at the third eye. But you could say that any energy blockage in the body is a granthi. In my experience, it isn't that the energy blasts through in some dramatic moment of glory. It is more like, the knots gradually disolve. Then one day, you just notice that it isn't there any more, and you are working with energy at a higher level.

quote:
What if the energy cannot get past the blockage- will it result in a 'reverse awakening' and shoot down instead of go up like it is supposed to?

No, I have never heard of this happening. Kundalini wants to get to the crown and she will wait until all the obstacles are out of the way so that she can return there.

It sounds like you are doing really well. Onward and upward, as they say!

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Nov 19 2009 05:38:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5203 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  5:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BellaMente

Yogani are you out there?

Sorry if you are busy but can you clarify on what parts of the head rotation I inhale and exhale for the jalandhara lite? And does the head rest down at the chest in the lite version? Sorry if I missed this somewhere but I can't seem to find the details of the breath anywhere and I am confused...

Hi BellaMente:

It is best to be well-established in spinal breathing before attempting chin pump lite, so there will be no question about the spinal breathing aspect of it. Then chin pump lite can be undertaken for the last minute or two of our spinal breathing session.

For chin pump, we rotate the head steadily, dropping the chin down in a swooping motion toward the hollow of the throat (or upper chest) on the front side of each rotation. We reverse the direction of rotation each time our spinal breathing cycle reaches the brow. See these lessons on details of procedure and effects: 139, 140, 143, 144.

Keep in mind that chin pump is an advanced practice, introduced in the lessons after asanas, mudras and bandhas have been covered. This does not mean it cannot be used earlier, but it is not recommended before we have become stable in spinal breathing pranayama, which will take months or years, not days or weeks.

Christi has given good overall advice on blockages.

Take it easy, and be sure to self-pace practices if symptoms become excessive.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  7:39:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok I will do it for only a very short time since I have been doing SB for not even 2 months now, thank you both for your advice.

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4481 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  05:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bellamente,

My description of Chin Pump lite above was pretty poor, so I edited it slightly so as not to confuse anyone. Much better to follow the descriptions in the lessons.

I just wanted to mention that if you are experiencing an energy blockage, there is often the idea that you need to do something about it. This idea says that if you feel the energy rising to the throat, and stopping there, or rising to the head and stopping there, then you need to add on practices to clear the blockage.

It could simply be that your system above the blockage is not yet clear enough to handle the levels of energy that would be experienced if the blockage was not there. So energy blockages can protect you as much as be a hindrance for you.

I am not saying that there are no cases where micro-managing energy blockages isn't helpful, just that it isn't always helpful, or necessary.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  2:18:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi. Actually, I got the idea from another one of those internet kundalini awakening stories where everything was going good until K "blasted through the blockage" and the guy did not end up so well... So because my blockage is so darn strong and I have been having problems with it since I started AYP I think it must be pretty serious.. But I definitely will always trust you all here over anything else on the internet...
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4481 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2009 :  06:19:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bellamente,

Yes, there are times when kundalini can blast through a granthi. It happened to me a few years ago with the crown chakra. So people who talk about these things are not making it up. But I have found that in the vast majority of cases, the clearing of a blockage in the subtle body is more something that is noticed after the event, rather than anything dramatic even though it often feels like it is going to be.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000