Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Humor?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  10:39:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste Friends....

Had an interesting thought come into my head this week....

What makes something funny?

For whatever reason I think there is some "gold" in this question....I have yet to find it, but thought perhaps you all here at AYP may have some ideas....

Looking forward to any thoughts....

Love,
Carson

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  12:26:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll give it a go. Thinking how I respond it is usually something that would produce a result, producing something totally different and unexpected. A sort of 'never expected that' moment which causes delight. As we get older we seem to need greater sophistication to retain that level otherwise it results in 'seen that before, or something similar'.

I use that technique during therapy sessions. For instance, if someone says 'I'm really ugly' then the usual approach is to say something like 'oh your not etc'. my approach is 'yes you are, infact you are the ugliest person I have met, a hideous sight etc etc' That usually gets a laugh and 'Oh I'm not that bad' which is a result. (I should point out that this is with people who have tried everything else and who already have trust and rapport). The unexpected approach got a laugh and a change of thought.

That technique is called provocative therapy which has been part of a leftfield approach by a genius called Frank Farrely. It relies on humour to chase away the devil. Laughter is an incredibly powerful medicine.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  5:51:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

What makes something funny?

The one that laughs

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  9:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good question Carson! Very philosophical... Maybe it has something to do with prana, or the joy of life, I sometimes burst out laughing in SB...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000