Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 locked arms in lotus posture in tibetan yoga?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  5:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have seen pictures of tibetan yogis "locking" their arms while in the lotus posture. the position is full lotus with the palms turned up in the lap fingers facing inward and slightly curled up, wrists resting on the root of the thighs and arms completely straight or hyperextended elbows with the shoulders raised up. I have been playing with this position and find that it really opens the breath in the upper chest and the ribs sort of "hang" from the raised shoulders. I was never taught this position but it seems to be a deliberate variation in tibetan yoga. does anybody know about this and when and how it is used and if it has a name?

Edited by - Victor on Nov 08 2009 4:41:02 PM

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  8:20:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You figured it out.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  11:05:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool. Is it used for pranayama, extended meditation sessions or just as a stretch?
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  6:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Victor. I'll scan something from a book called Yantra Yoga by Chogyal Namkhai Norbu and post it here.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  7:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, love to check it out
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  11:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
both
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  5:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Experimented with this in pranayama practice today and aside from a bit of arm fatigue and feeling of general heat it felt like it really opened the channels of the breath. Definitely a step worth exploring.
Konchok,I assume that your extremely brief replies are an attempt on your part not to guide in public a teaching that is traditionally kept for initiates. Nonetheless it has been helpful in simply confirming what my exploration is showing me and in the spirit of the open quality of AYP I am sharing with the board.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  7:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That arm position really intrigues me. Anyone else got any info on it?
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  10:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No one with anything more to say on this? After experimenting with the arms this way especially in pranayama it feels better not to hyperextend or lock the elbows but to just have a gentle but steady presure to straighten the arms but not excessively so. This allows the prana to flow much better. It really seems to be useful yet no one seems to either know much about this or be willing to share
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  11:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The wrist flexion causes a kind of hibernation effect, where the heart energy stays within. Some people do it during sleep at times.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  12:29:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Scott, I definitely do it in sleep so is interesting to practice it this way
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  4:00:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I asked a tibetan friend who used to be a monk about this and his answer was vague and not very responsive. From my own practice lately this arm position seems to work very well in pranayama but not with arms locked or hyperextended. What feels right at this point is to apply pressure to straighten the arms at the end of inhalation and keep that pressure of arms straight but not locked throughout kumbhaka, then releasing the arms during exhalation allowing the the elbows to bend. This seems to be my own variation but it seems to be working well and is consistent with the movements of the energy of the breath.
It does not however feel soft or effortless enough to sit with arms this way for meditation, it very much seems to be a pranayama technique

Edited by - Victor on Nov 20 2009 4:06:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2009 :  7:08:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, this is very similar to an asana called Mahamudra where you are in janushirshasana and you hold the foot of teh straight leg and do pranayama kumbhaka. In Mahamudra there is a gentle pull to open the ribs while in the sitting position that I have described the arms push up but the basic result is the same. The upper side ribs open more allowing the breath to expand more and the spine lengthen. Guess I am the only one interested here but it is a fascinating exploration so might as well share...
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  6:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ALright, I found out that this is referred to as "vajra fists" where the thumb is gently tucked under the fingers and the hands rest palm up close in to the body by the groins. I also have found that you gently press the arms towards straight but do not lock or hyperextend the elbows. When I practice pranayama in this manner I find that it opens the ribcage in the upper chest ( an area that I have had difficulty with in the past)and the breath penetrates quite a bit deeper on inhalation and slightly deeper on exhalation as well, so it feels like the correct place for the hand,s particualry while doing the dynamic jalandhara as the position of the shoulders gives a gentle protective support for the neck as the head rotates. There is another version where the thumbs are similarly tucked but the palms face downward in teh same area. This seems to open the belly breath much more.
Overall the exploration of this has been very positive although there seems to be very little interest on it here.

Edited by - Victor on Feb 19 2010 03:25:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  07:42:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Victor
I missed this thread untill now, will give it a try.

Have been trying something different with the arms of late and that is to place the arms behind with wrists overlapped and resting on the lower back. I do this sometimes during spinal breathing and for me it has a beneficial opening of the chest and heart. Also practice it during walking meditation.
This has also helped memnbers of our AYP group in Dublin.

Would be interested in your feedback on this if you are interested.

Louis
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  03:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hmm, thats different. Sometimes I would let my arms hang by my sides and let them fall wherever they will. I have noticed that kechari really kicks in the effect of these movements in me. Without kechari not a whole lot happens but when i place my tongue in kechari the throat opens and the each mudra channels the prana in a different way and things really open up.
Go to Top of Page

progressivethinker

India
6 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  11:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit progressivethinker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A picture would have helped me understand this posture better. But if it is a posture that holds the spine erect, it is great for pranayama and meditation.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  1:22:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes, it holds the spine erect. the position is sitting upright in lotus posture. The unique difference is that the hands are palms up pressing into the groin area where the thighs meet the pelvis and arms are pressed towards straight. Also a variation is with palms pressed down. Otherwise it is classic sitting in full lotus.
In my practice today it feels that the palms pressed down feels more appropriate with the head head back and the palms up with the head forward in a static position. While doing chin pump however I experimented with a fluid pressing of the hands with the head rotation. I found that with the palms face down in the groins that putting gentle pressure on the side that the head was rotated really opened up the flow of prana

Edited by - Victor on Feb 20 2010 4:39:34 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000