Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 World Community for Christian Meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  12:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All:

A "Christian Meditation Center" opened recently in our area, and we come to find it is part of a worldwide movement: http://www.wccm.org

It is mantra meditation with some similarity to what we are doing in AYP. May they live long and prosper.

The guru is in you.

PS: This style of meditation, popularized by John Main, has been discussed in a few places in the forums. Here's one: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=708

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  1:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Freakin' Awesome Yogani

I'm sending the link to all my Christian relatives that are constantly telling me that meditation is "anti-Christian" because it opens you up to "demonic attacks".

I'm glad that there are Christians out there that can see through the dogma to the universality of spiritual practices like meditation.

Thank you for sharing!

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  1:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is great! So many Christians have been turned away from meditation by ignorant sound-bytes like "Doesn't the devil enter the idle mind?" and "Isn't meditation Buddhist?"
These questions and others are answered in very short sentences in their FAQ.

I have spoken to several Christians who were led astray by such ignorance so it is great to see that they can be brought back. Who cares what they name it as long as people meditate correctly?
Even my friend's meditation is fine - they just sit in silence for hours and hours. She just left for another complete week of that. Personally I think mantra is more productive, but I think they are going in the right direction, and with that kind of perseverence they will get there.

May all traditions head in the right direction in whatever kind of meditation they choose!

Hi Carson - cross posted; same kind of experience!

Edited by - Etherfish on Oct 17 2009 1:25:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  1:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
See how enlightened this guy is in answering questions in their FAQ:

"The terrible error is saying, "Well, I believe in my faith, and that means that somebody else's faith must be wrong." Logically, intellectually, that is where we get stuck. But at the level of the spirit, we experience unity, and unity is what meditation leads us to."
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  2:44:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow.....this was such a joy to read....Christian Meditation....

Maybe the possibility of hosting Satsangs in churches (which is a dream here) is not that far off after all I am very lucky to be able to host them at the Avila Carmelite center in Dublin....it is a priviledge to work there.

In a church though.....I am dreaming of silent Satsangs......maybe paused by a short flute solo.....every 20 min or so....lasting about 1 hour.

Sparkles AYP group meditates in a chappel every week, so I know it is possible. (Or maybe it's an Irish thing....will have to study and learn from them ) Also...the land is filled with gorgeous churches.....am looking forward to visiting all of them....will take me the rest of life *lol*...

Many profound meditations has taken place in empty churches here.....it is such a holy place......I know of no better place to sit....in the space...deepened.... by so many devotional hearts over years and years.....

Anyway....I wish the World Community for Christian Meditation all the best
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  2:47:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Silence, stillness, simplicity... the Buddha-nature is described by our snow-mountain fathers as a seed:

quote:
And we are not used to being simple. The silence, stillness and simplicity, however, do have an ultimate purpose. In one of the parables of the Kingdom, Jesus compared the Kingdom to a seed that someone plants in the ground. The person then goes off to live an ordinary life while the seed grows silently in the earth ‘how he does not know’. The same thing happens to us, as the word is rooted evermore deeply in our hearts. And, as in the parable, there will in time be signs of growth. You will not always find them in your meditation itself, but in your life. You will begin to harvest the fruits of the spirit; you will find that you are growing in love. And if you ever stop the practice of meditation, whether for a day or a month or a year, simply return to it again with confidence in the infinite generosity of the Spirit that dwells in and among us all.

"continue in confidence..."

Edited by - Konchok Ösel Dorje on Oct 17 2009 2:55:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  3:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh....that was so lovely....

Thank you Konchok Ösel Dorje....
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  9:31:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey all!!

Glad this thread was brought up, thanks Yogani!! There is actually a similar movement in Christianity that goes under the moniker of "Centering Prayer", which has been brought to the fore by Fr Thomas Keating. The process is essentially mantra meditation. Choose a "sacred word"or phrase and mentally repeat the sacred word, gently coming back to the word whenever you notice your mind has gone off into thoughts. Recommends 2 20 minute sessions per day. All you have to do is choose "I AM" as your sacred phrase and you've got the beginnings of AYP.

Quite a few of the Catholic churches near me hold weekly Centering Prayer sessions.

Anyone that has interest can check it out at www.contemplativeoutreach.org

Peace & Love

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000