Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 amaroli and periods
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pinas

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  10:58:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pinas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi there,

I have been practicing yoga for four months now, doing the starter asanas, pranayama and meditation twice daily and I have benefited from it greatly so far. I have also been doing amaroli first thing in the morning, usually at 6am, and I have been enjoying the benefits of this practice, too. I have only one concern however. The last three months my periods have been longer than usual, slower to start and less predictable than they used to be. Although this is not a major problem, I do find it slightly disconcerting to have lost what used to be a steady rhythm. And I wondered if this could be due to the amaroli upsetting my hormonal balance. I did some research online and everywhere I look seems to say amaroli is great for hormonal regulation. I am slightly confused. Six months ago I would have been fretting about it much more than I am at present - I do feel that the yoga is allowing me a much wider and clearer space to feel and think in.

And I wondered if any other women who use this site and do the practices had a similar experience, or could give me an idea as to why my body is reacting in this way.

Many thanks to everyone.

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  11:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Pinas,
Welcome to the AYP forums.

I don't think your periods are getting irregular due to amaroli. You sure you are not stressed or are experiencing any changes in your life?

If you think it is amaroli that is causing this, you can stop amaroli for a few months and see if you get regular with your cycle again.
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  8:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
is it possible that the periods are spreading out and getting smoother? meaning if the duration is longer it may not be as intense.
just a thought/question
brother Neil
Go to Top of Page

christiane

Lebanon
319 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  9:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit christiane's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Pinas,

I understand what you feel about the unusual change in your periods timing..
Personnally, I don't think amaroli or even your recent experience with yoga practices are the cause..though periods can be disturbed by energy working in a 'new' way inside of us.
Many factors can affect the cycle regularity, and the major factor is....food!
According to the quality (and quantity) of food you consume, your periods will be either longer or shorter.
An ideal cycle is of 28 days.
Whenever we consume a large amount of animal products, heavy salty dairy, eggs, and dry/baked stuff in general, the period cycle tend to be short (24 days or even less).
The more you consume fruits(especially exotic ones)/sugary stuffs/liquids/alcohol, your cycle will be longer (more than 28 days).
Now, with yoga practices, over a certain period of time, as the energy travels up in the system, the periods become lighter and the symptoms/pain/etc. tend to vanish. This is the case here (since last year or so)..

Food is not the only cause.. but it is essential to be aware of the effect of each food on our energy system in order to support it.

If your periods stay irregular for the coming 3 months, then, maybe it would be wise to watch the food you eat.
And it's ok to have occasional irregularity.. the body may be balancing the energy through our periods, and according to the moon cycle.
As long as the practices we do on a regular basis feel comfortable and supportive energetically, any little change in our physiology is not to be excluded.

Wish you to feel back again in tune with your inner cycle..

Love
Go to Top of Page

Pinas

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  11:18:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pinas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone, and thank you so much for replying.

I believe my diet is fairly balanced; I'm a vegetarian and I don't drink, eat refined sugars or processed foods or even drink much caffeine (one or two teas a day max).

I'm glad to hear you all say that amaroli and the other yoga practices are unlikely to be the cause. I'll keep on with the practices, then, and see if things settle down again.

The one thing I didn't think about is that I moved in with my boyfriend four months ago (we began the yoga practices together), so there was a change in my life.
Go to Top of Page

Pinas

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  11:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pinas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I pressed the submit reply button by accident, just a couple of other things I wanted to add.

I'm mostly amazed at how much easier my life has become since I started the practices, even though it's only been four months. I still get emotional ups and downs but nowhere near like I used to. It's as if there's more space than there used to be, and more joy at simply being. There are moments when I feel blessed and serene, present in my own life, and I'm so glad that my partner bought these books and got me into the yoga. This site is also wonderful, and it's great that we can share our experiences with other members here.
Besos a todos
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  11:34:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Pinas and welcome to the forum,

If you hit the post button by accident, you can still finish your post without having to start a new one if you want. Just click on the edit post button at the top of your post. It is the one with the pen and paper icon. Then finish your post and click post changes.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  6:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000