Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 white tongue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  09:48:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am wondering if anyone knows exactly the meaning of having a white-coated tongue?

I have been sick and the tongue is coated fairly heavy with white yuck!

and how to get rid of that and healthy again.

I think I have the cold/flu/sinus stuff from change of climate.

I do know a healthy tongue is pink!

I just looked at my dog Annie and verified this, as hers is a healthy, fleshy pink!

thanks,
sagebrush

christiane

Lebanon
319 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  03:15:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit christiane's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sage!

Yes, you're right: a healthy tongue is pink.
The heavy white coating on your tongue is a sign of
discharge.
The body is getting rid off excess mucus/toxins and usually
eliminatory organs (kidneys, liver, bladder) are responsible
for cleansing the body, but when this activity is not enough,
the body uses secondary ways like the tongue and skin..
Also fever, headache, urine, any infection is in fact the sign that
the body is getting rid off excess and toxins.

The condition of your health is reflected on your tongue (and other parts of your body). And usually it shows the condition of the digestive function.. Depending on where the white coat is found on the tongue, it shows the condition of the related organ.
For example: if u have white coat in the back of the tongue, it corresponds to the lower part of the body, especially kidneys function.
The tip of the tongue is related to the heart.
The middle part is associated with the intestines.
A white color coating is due to excess mucus and/or fat.
And you mention you have a cold/sinus stuff.. which is also due to mucus.
If you are having dairy products on a regular basis, try to cut it off for a while.. they are the main cause of mucus forming in the body.
Also stay away from flour/bakes products, oily/greasy food..
Simple sugars (white/brown/honey/fruits) doesn't help your condition.
They create an acidic condition and to be in good health, we need to maintain a slightly alcaline system.

you can check this link or Google acid/alkaline forming food:
http://www.harmonikireland.com/inde...p?topic=acid

Hope you get well soon..

Love
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  07:48:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sage:

"Tongue scraping" can be added as part of daily oral hygiene, though ultimately the amount of material collecting on our tongue will be related to other things, as Christiane points out.

Here is an excerpt on tongue scraping from the AYP Diet, Shatkarmas and Amaroli book:

"Mouth and Tongue
We have all been brought up (hopefully) to practice good oral hygiene by brushing our teeth every day and flossing regularly to remove tartar (plaque) from our teeth. There are varying opinions on using antiseptic mouthwashes, so it is suggested to go with the intuition on that. Our habits of oral hygiene will improve as we advance in yoga.
A yoga method that can be added to daily oral hygiene, which few may be exposed to in modern society, is tongue scraping. Sometimes brushing the tongue with the toothbrush is advised after brushing the teeth. The yogic equivalent of this is tongue scraping, which is far more effective for removing tartar and its resident bacteria from the tongue. This involves using the edge of a straight piece of metal or plastic to scrape the top of the tongue forward from the area right in front of the taste buds. A more effective tool for this is a flat strip of metal that has been bent into a ā€œUā€ shape. The curved edge can be used to scrape forward on the top of the tongue, covering the full top surface with a single stroke, or several repetitions.
The amount of tartar collected with tongue scraping in this manner will far exceed what can be accomplished with a brush, and will greatly reduce the amount of tartar collecting on the teeth as well.
Of course, excessive tartar on the tongue and teeth can be a sign of an imbalance in the diet and/or general health condition. If that is the case, we can step back further and look at our lifestyle to address the root causes of excess proteins and bacteria (tartar) building up in the mouth. If we do this, we will find ourselves with a much cleaner mouth, and much better all around health as well.
The condition of our mouth at any point in time is a visible indication of the condition of the rest of our body, and the quality of life we have been living."

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  10:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Way cool, this is exactly what I need, as I have dental implants which the doctor can't open or it takes much pressure to open each time because of a lot of calculus that builds up.

One question.. When you say to scrape the area in front of the taste buds.. Is it the area with not many taste buds on the top of the tongue?

Here, the green area?
http://pactlab-dev.spcomm.uiuc.edu/...tastebud.gif
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  11:43:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Yonatan

Way cool, this is exactly what I need, as I have dental implants which the doctor can't open or it takes much pressure to open each time because of a lot of calculus that builds up.

One question.. When you say to scrape the area in front of the taste buds.. Is it the area with not many taste buds on the top of the tongue?

Here, the green area?
http://pactlab-dev.spcomm.uiuc.edu/...tastebud.gif

Hi Yonatan:

In front of the big ones in the back. Those can't be scraped. Everything in front can. Not too hard ... self-pace.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  11:49:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, Thanks!!

Yonatan
Go to Top of Page

christiane

Lebanon
319 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  12:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit christiane's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Yogani for the reminder..
I'm using myself a copper flat strip (in U shape like you've mentionned).
Once you use it, it becomes an 'addiction' :)
Also in the morning, when we wake up, it's good to scrap
the tongue first, before doing anything else.
Usually, in the morning, the tongue has some residues (white, grey, whatever) on it.
It is the result of the cleansing that occured during our sleep.
The body use the sleeping hours to cleanse the inner system.
It's therefore important to cleanse the tongue so we don't swallow the toxins back again..

Just talking frm my experience.

Love..
Go to Top of Page

NSB

Australia
32 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  9:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been oil pulling for a few weeks and I'm amazed how pink and nice my tongue is. I'm sure it hasn't been like that since I was a little kid.
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  03:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for all the input!

I had a plastic tongue scraper, but I like the idea of a copper one!
and on this very note I am going to scoot in a floss and brush and scrape as best I can..right in this very moment.

oil pulling?
look forward to knowing what that might be?

thanks,
sagebrush
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  07:47:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sage

oil pulling?
look forward to knowing what that might be?

Oil Pulling
Go to Top of Page

NSB

Australia
32 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  8:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My oil pulling report - I have only been doing this about 3 weeks.

The first thing I noticed was the pink tongue.

I have also heard that a BIT of white coating on the tongue is "yin" and is good - at least in a woman - according to my neighbour's naturopath!

Today I noticed that my eye teeth / canine incisors / the ones that look like dracula (ya know?) are suddenly almost the same colour as the front teeth where formerly I always noticed they were yellowish. Never to a degree that bothered me. But a noticeable change.

I've been doing it at least once a day. Sometimes twice. With Sunflower oil. The first day I had nausea which I chalked up to detox. Since then nothing noteworthy.

I am motivated to do this because of receding gums, and their sensitivity disappeared although no new gum tissue has regrown yet. I understand that it may be difficult to coax new gum tissue to grow, so I am pondering what I will do about that in the months to come.

Some sensitivity recurred in the last few days so I have bought some Oil of Oregano to add to my sunflower oil mix.

I am amazed at how delicious sunflower oil tastes. You dont' swallow it but it tastes nutty and nice on the tastebuds.

Goes well with a bit of neti and morning sb and dm and then snuggling back in bed with the kids before I get up!
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  08:26:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
very fascinating!

I would look forward to some good results like more white teeth, less toxins and I am intrigued to say the least!

I just had coffee though-
so maybe I wait until tomorrow-
better see how much sesame oil is around this house.

thanks for the info.

Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  12:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not going to forget to try this tongue pulling. I am so low on any and I mean ANY money. my next purchase will be groceries and primal defence from jordan rubin...anybody ever heard of?

anyway-

got over the original illness and occuring now thru a second is serious abdominal pain for hours after dinner. this went on for atleast four hours..my stomach felt like I was gonna have a baby. Full and tight and it was painful. finally I started throwing up my dinner and now for two days I have slight abdominal pain and a continuation of the runs...like going to pee. not being gross ok..just descriptive.

I have tried to lay off most food, but now drinking tea as opposed to coffee..right now in chai tea mode
having basmati rice and jello.
now what?

how to start over from starting with almost NIL.

I plan on eating likethis above for atleast a week to rest my digestion a little.

I now call these my splatter ass days.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000