Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 myth?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paresh

USA
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2005 :  10:13:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Paresh's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
How do you tell mythology or teaching parables fr truth in yoga scriptures? In my experience I respond to some practices and not to others and to continue with ones to which I feel no response feels a bit like holding on to a bible passage as gospel truth when in fact it may only be a lesson meant for teaching. I know there's a place for faith to stay with practices for a while but I gravitate toward what gives me a direct experience.

Somewhat related is my observation that yoga is infused with Hinduism & even many teachers seem to mix it in to their classes. Much of it is symbolism & can be confused with the science of yoga.
Thanks.

paresh

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2005 :  12:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my thought, though it may not be exactly what you mean.

If you read my previous posting, you will find that I have the same doubts as you. And unfortunately up to now i don't find any quick way---except in those cases where the practices themselves (e.g. meditation) are well-supported by rigoros scientific studies. You cannot completely believe in the experiences of the others-- see my postings on Sahaja yoga, in particular my last one (under the topic "siddhis"), where the objective truth contradicts with what they claimed to have experienced.

Mantra meditation and Sahaja yoga are special cases (one positive one negative) where you can test, where you can be quite sure without years of your own practices. I don't see ways in general to test such esoteric practises, even after some discussion in this forum with the others.

Here is my strategy for the practices (of AYP): following the lessons here, I started with meditation, which I have no doubts on. Then spinal breathing, the next practice here. I am still on this stage. I planned to add those supplementary practices which are to be done during spinal breathing. Then I won't lose much time, at least. Until the some signposts (probably in the form of experiences) of my practice of spinal breathing comes, I would not add any advanced practices which require extra time. And the process repeats again: go only one step ahead of my experience. Then I have at most one thing to lose at each step.

Note that this way of doing is also quite compatible with the advice of AYP.

I found the AYP approach quite practical and with no religious nonsense (except may be the concept of next/previous lifes. It could be metaphor, though) But I still find it difficult to believe even the main points here, of where you can arrive by these practices--- they sound too NICE to be true!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000