AYPsite.org Forum
 Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Reply Topic - Yoga, Science & Philosophy Intro
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  11:30:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
All members are encouraged to create new and original topics in the AYP forums. There is no limit on the number of topics that can be put here.

It has been decided to keep the forum introductory posts by Yogani locked and without replies so they can continue to serve as a simple entry point to the AYP forums for all who visit.

In order to accommodate those who would like to reply to Yogani's introductions, they have been copied in unlocked topics (like this one) that can be replied to and will "float" up and down the list with all the other topics.

Here is the introduction to this forum, available for replies:

yogani
USA
49 Posts
Posted - Jul 12 2005 : 12:06:22 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For many decades, western science has been looking for objective, measurable evidence of spiritual experience and the so-called "super-normal powers" that are said to exist within human beings. (Eastern science has been looking much longer, so its point of view ought not be ignored by western scientists.)

There has been quite a lot of progress over the years in numerous studies done on meditation, psychic phenomena, near death experiences, UFOs and other kinds of extraordinary human experiences. Yet, questions remain, and the debate rages on. What better place to continue it than here in this forum?

And what about the collected systems of yoga practice being regarded as a science in its own right? Where there is cause and effect, there can be science. If a particular cause (say, a systematic method of meditation) produces a particular effect (like feelings of peace, or rising intelligence), and this is a repeatable "experiment," then doesn't that make yoga itself a science? This is especially true if the many causes and effects involved in a full range of daily yoga practices can be optimized to be highly effective and safe for anyone to use. Isn't this the same process we have gone through in developing all of the wonderful technologies we often take for granted today? A science is most useful when it can be applied successfully to a practical endeavor -- such as promoting human wellfare, or, say, promoting human spiritual transformation and the resulting "enlightened" condition that comes with it. Then it can be called "applied science." That is what we'd like to see happen with yoga -- see it come out of the shadows of ignorance and superstition, and into the full sunlight of practical applied science.

Looking further out on the mental plane, there is also the question of the many philosophies that have evolved in every culture to explain the nature of existence and the role of humanity in it. This forum can also be useful for those who are inclined toward examining philosophical systems, with the goal of utilizing calm and measured reason and logic to answer the question, "What on earth are we doing here?!!"

Some food for thought...

The guru is in you.

Edited by - AYPforum on Jul 19 2005 11:42:32 AM

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  12:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess it would be nice to see more people getting the benefits of yoga or other systems but there does appear imho to be a flaw in this.Whenever good things are promoted it seems to be the norm that further along the line some government body becomes involved and tries to dictate the way it should be run etc.This is happening now in the USA with the governing bodies of psychotherapy etc. with regards to EFT.After shunning the results since it's conception about 15 yrs ago the so called experts are now trying to say that it is not for the layman and should be run by the 'experts'.Now I'm not here to judge whether they are right or wrong but I certainly wouldn't want a so called expert (who possibly in many cases wont' have the experience or knowledge required)to dictate the practices I study or that I would be unable to teach others unless they tell me I am qualified.
L&L
dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  12:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by riptiz

I guess it would be nice to see more people getting the benefits of yoga or other systems but there does appear imho to be a flaw in this.Whenever good things are promoted it seems to be the norm that further along the line some government body becomes involved and tries to dictate the way it should be run etc.This is happening now in the USA with the governing bodies of psychotherapy etc. with regards to EFT.After shunning the results since it's conception about 15 yrs ago the so called experts are now trying to say that it is not for the layman and should be run by the 'experts'.Now I'm not here to judge whether they are right or wrong but I certainly wouldn't want a so called expert (who possibly in many cases wont' have the experience or knowledge required)to dictate the practices I study or that I would be unable to teach others unless they tell me I am qualified.
L&L
dave

Dave,

I'm missing some of your thread of reasoning at the start. What is the 'this' of your phrase 'flaw in this?' at the beginning of your response?

Is EFT = Emotional Freedom Techniques?

I don't know what is happening with EFT. What is happening? Is it some sort of legislation to stop non-psychologists practicing it or something?

Thanks,

-David

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jul 22 2005 1:02:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  2:11:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear david,
Yes I am referring to Emotional Freedom Techniques which the professional bodies are now saying they should have control of as it is a mind therapy although it is still in fact an energy based system.
By 'flaw' I mean that unfortunately not everyone has the same empathy or compassion for others as hopefully we do and some money making or control freak always seems to jump from under a rock and try to take command.For some it doesn't seem enough for others to simply help others along the way but 'we' all seem to need promoting or cash in on our practices instead of simply helping others in our own simple way.The bureaucrats seem to think they know 'what we need'and interfere in things that are running along nicely.As the saying goes 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.
L&L
dave

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000