AYPsite.org Forum
 Enlightenment Milestones
 Yogani's latest radio interview - Self-Inquiry
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  02:49:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Once again I would like to thank Yogani for adopting a clear, common-sense and down-to-earth approach. Yesterday I was listening to the latest interview he gave on KCCR on Self-Inquiry and it was illuminating in several aspects.

Recently I have gone to my first Satsang and sure enough it was with an Advaita teacher. The silence there was strong and I felt it. My mind stopped and my head felt "heavy" through it and after it (it still is a bit!). That definitely was a boost, there was something being transmitted there. But at the same time the approach was the "classic" advaita radical stuff - your mind is your enemy; there is 'no-one' here; 'this is not real'; etc. In short, people who are in the top of the mountain (and probably don't know very well how they got there) and look at us and say "it is like this, it's so obvious, can't you see it? Just believe me then". It can be frustrating and, for the next day, I was in the office with a sense of "none of this is real" and, sure enough, I was not very productive and was, in fact, a tiny bit depressed/deotivated. Thisis in part normal, but I can understand how an extreme on this approach may lead to seriosu problems.

But that experience prompted me to search deeper. I saw 'old' issues re-surface again, old emotional patterns still very much there, and started to realise how, despite feeling more grounded due to meditation, this is not the end by any means. All must go, all must be illuminated. I have to tackle every issue. The process has to be complete...and probably never will be, which is a good thing.

That is when, hearing Yogani's interview last night, I had an understanding. For the first time the so-commonly-heard words that "you are not the body/mind" or "the problem starts with the 'I'-thought" started to have some grip in reality by the way he was explaining it. In particular it was very useful to me his common sense approach that it is not really useful, and can in fact be destructive, to go around all day saying to ourselves "this is not real, I am not real, none of this is real". But at the same time I did understand when he said that in fact all starts with the 'I'-thought...that all springs from that, and that if somehow we can pick up that thought when it first originates and examine it (I think just noticing it and question it is enough) we realise that we have been carrying within unquestioned beliefs for so many years. Unquestioned, believed without a doubt. That is the cause of suffering, I can see now, and I now also understand why I seem to wake up almost eveynight during the night, or in the morning, with a clear sense of the transition from a state of "no-mind" to a "mind-state" (i.e. non-identified to identified). I can 'feel' this 'weight' starting to dawn on me as the mind kicks in - it is all the 'I'-thoughts, the starting of the build-up of the caracter/story. It is, almost materially, a 'suit' that does not fit anymore and in fact hurts to put on. I can see that when I wake up like that it almost seems like a reflexive mechanism of the organism - it wants to be conscious as that process happens to caught it "red-handed" and be able to decide (in conscioussness, i.e. with a conscious presence of the witness or inner silence) what it's true or not, to caught the lie before it attachs to one-self, as it commonly does.

I can see this is a step on the way - the gripping of true self-inquiry into one's growth and understanding. Of course needless to say that this wouldn't at all be possible if I hadn't been meditating for more than one and a half years now every day without fail. It hasn't always been AYP I must admit (at a point I switched to breath or 'just being' meditation and I still keep on following my intuition and adapt small things every now and then in order to make it effective) but the important thing is to cultivate 'silence', that quality that allows you to 'see' and 'be' beyond the mind/body. I got into meditation and 'spiritual practice' through AYP and I still believe that Yogani's clear, user-friendly, common-sense-based and practical approach is a God-given in the path to true integration of true spirituality into everyday people. For that I thank you.

I can ask you one thing to all here for support please - when this started to happen to anybody here did you feel a bit detached from the world? There seems to happen a little de-motivation into everyday affairs, like jobs, etc. It is not a bad thing per se (it feels good inside otherwise), and it is not, for now, really affecting my productivity (although I am slower!) but I wonder if it can reach a point where we don't realy care about our work for example and just are in this state of bliss all day, not-being-anything and being-everything . If so - and I think this probably always happens to a certain degree when such a radical shift happens - how do you keep balance and integrate a new world-view into everyday life? It seems to me that when self-inquiry kicks in it has also a dynamism of it's on, a momentum, and it is hard to self-pace it as it is, say, meditation, where you jsut have to cut time or adjust your paractice in some other practical way. In short, how do you self-pace self-inquiry? I mean, it is such a welcome and long longed for change that, when it grips, seems to follow it's own way!

Oh, I forgot to say, in the interview Yogani also mentions The Sedona Method and I went ot check it and that also clicked with me. I think it might be the self-inquiry methedology for me. It is all about catching the feelings associated with particualr beliefs as they arise and looking at them clearly to be able to question them at their root. This was somehow also illuminating to me as I realised - again - that I am carrying many unquestioned beliefs that, at a certain point of my life, and because I did not have enough "grip" (i.e. empty space or silence or the witness) to be able to catch, observe, and question them for what they are, I decided I 'had to live with them' and in fact I have become sort of 'numbed' to them, while they run the show and attach to me - a prisioner in a sense. It is time the master takes care of the house again

And so the path continues...

Thank you again so much!

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  10:26:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it starts with de-motivation but when your inner guru shows you what you are here for you get motivation back again. But it is a new kind of motivation that doesn't have any urgency or desire; it just feels right.
Go to Top of Page

FlipAsso

Portugal
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  12:51:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit FlipAsso's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice post.
I also find the "this is not real" approach a bit stressing.
It makes sense that at some point one could get de-motivated.. - The world isn't satisfactory. There is not thing in the world more blissful than Liberation.
Where can one listen to a talk by Yogani?
Shanti
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  1:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
here:

http://www.aypsite.org/audio.html

Edited by - miguel on Nov 07 2009 1:53:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

FlipAsso

Portugal
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  3:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit FlipAsso's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you neighboor..
All it took was a little attentiveness..
=)
Shanti

Edited by - FlipAsso on Nov 07 2009 3:41:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  4:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You're wellcome.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000