Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Difficulty tellng Dreams from Wakestate
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  3:31:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste Friends.....

Yesterday I found myself in a wierd mind state I have not experienced (like this) before....wondering if this sounds familiar to any of you.

Over the course of the day yesterday I found myself in a "dream state" while awake several times....I have not experienced this before and am wondering if it becomes normal after a while. I am well familiar with "day dreaming" and similar states of mind like this, but what I am about to describe was different then this.

The first time this happened I was out walking my dogs at the park. At one point I found myself realizing that I was dreaming....that I was awake, but that I was "in a dream". The feeling was unmistakable. I am a fairly regular lucid dreamer, and I think that just about every night that I actually HAVE a dream, I am lucid during it. This felt almost identical....except that I was awake.

This happened several time yesterday during all different sorts of circumstances. I spent much of the day working on some audio for a band I recorded last week, and it happened during my work session at least twice, it happened while eating, and it even happened while in mid-conversation with my wife. Usually it only lasted for a minute or two before I "snapped" out of the "feeling" of being "awake dreaming", but the time it happened when I was talking with my wife lasted much longer....probably between 8 and 10 minutes.

Now this is weird for me. I know that this 3D reality is not "Reality" and that this life IS basically a "dream", but I have never experienced this feeling of "living a dream"....not while awake anyways.

Just wondering if any of you have ever had difficulty recognizing "reality" from the "dream" before.

Love,
Carson

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  4:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This has started for me also, a little tiny bit. It can be kind of embarrassing at times...like when you actually thought a dream was real, and tell people about it. For instance, I thought a professor (I'm in college) said his exam would be 8 essay questions. No one believed me, but I clearly remember him talking about it for like 3 minutes. The day of the exam came, and it ended up being 40 multiple choice. Don't know how that happened.

Oh well.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  4:06:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes this used to happen to me a lot when I used to smoke opium! But assuming drugs aren't involved, I think it is a side effect of lucid dreaming. When I used to wake up a lot in dreams, then I would also feel I was waking up in a dream during the day.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  6:18:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott, Etherfish.....

I have written in another thread about a common reoccuring aspect of my lucid dreams which is "jump flying". If I jump just right (basically get a perfect spring from my thighs) I can get into the air and am able to hover, fly and jump large distances. This is something that is possible for me in almost all of my lucid dreams, no matter the dream. Well, in one of the "Am I dreaming?" moments at the dog park yesterday, it was me getting ready to "jump fly" that caused me to realize that I wasn't dreaming.....I didn't actually jump, but I was building the tension in my thighs for it when I realized I was awake. This was a really really wierd thing for me. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it....probably will never happen .

@Etherfish,

No, no drugs were involved.....and I'm a pretty seasoned opiate user and this never happened in an opiate daze for me either. I was usually pretty easily able to tell that I was "on the nod" and dreaming or whatever and I have never had the experience of not knowing if I was dreaming while awake before. This was a first for me.

It hasn't happened yet today so I am hoping it was "just the day".....even if it wasn't it wasn't really harmful in any way.....if I had tried to "jump fly" off an overpass or something it might have been, but, I'm thinking I can stay aware enough not to do that.....after all, I didn't actually embarrass myself by trying to fly at the dog park, I only just about did.....hahahaha.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  10:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Hi Scott, Etherfish.....

I have written in another thread about a common reoccuring aspect of my lucid dreams which is "jump flying". If I jump just right (basically get a perfect spring from my thighs) I can get into the air and am able to hover, fly and jump large distances.

no big deal, the incredible hulk can do that.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  01:56:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ha!
quote:

no big deal, the incredible hulk can do that.

Incredible hulk --------->
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  11:12:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I have never had the experience of not knowing if I was dreaming while awake before. This was a first for me.

It hasn't happened yet today so I am hoping it was "just the day".....even if it wasn't it wasn't really harmful in any way.....if I had tried to "jump fly" off an overpass or something it might have been, but, I'm thinking I can stay aware enough not to do that

"Here's hopin' ...."

(I *don't* think you have anything to worry about ....)

quote:

.....after all, I didn't actually embarrass myself by trying to fly at the dog park, I only just about did.....hahahaha.

Love,
Carson

Which? Fly? Or embarrass yourself??

Okay {*Ahem*} ... *seriously* now .....

Like all states of consciousness .... there's nothing new under the sun, so to speak (except this wonderful ever-new moment we're all creating out of now-here ...).

Consciousness spans a spectrum ... from formless awareness through to the focused manifestation/manifested focus of any given moment of perception or non-perception.

Kashmir Shaivism sub-divides the basic three states of Waking, Dreaming & Deep Sleep (comprised and enabled by the movements of the formless awareness known variously as turiya, inner silence, clear awareness, etc.) ... so that you have waking-in-waking, waking-in-dreaming .... and so on.

*ALL* this stuff (phases of consciousness, etc.) has been accurately mapped by the esoteric wisdom traditions of the world, in all the detail that anyone could ever want or need (much *more* than most would ever want or need, actually! ).

The thinking mind may think it needs to know it ... but it doesn't, really; if the interest is there, fine --- but otherwise (saying this to anyone reading) ... just letting practices "do their thing" is fine as well .... because, ultimately ... there's nothing to know, and everything to be.

You didn't have any kind of break with reality, Brother Carson ..... more like a bit of an *introduction* to reality.

Which, among other things, includes the greatly-resisted-by-ego truth that waking and dreaming are *essentially* the same.

When I refer to the dreaming-thinking state .... I'm being very literal -- these states are *not different* .......... they are both comprised primarily of the focus on mental form.

The surface manifestation of thinking is usually experienced somewhat differently in the so-called waking state than what the thinking mind thinks of as dreaming ... but not by much ..... and the fact remains: overlay of mental form is overlay of mental form.

As the overall body-mind system relaxes and awareness expands ... forms in the mind ... whether conditioned thinking mind labels them as "thinking" or "dreaming" can blend and blur a bit ..... or not.

This is actually a good sign .... the rigid, arbitrary conditioned divisions are relaxing a bit .... and, similar to Ananda's reported experience in the shower (the samadhi one .... I'm not aware of any others he may have mentioned .....) ..... higher (more subtle, less rigidly defined) states of consciousness are beginning to permeate the so-called waking state ..... as a bit of a pre-cursor of the joy of unified awareness we're all relaxing into, now.

Heart Is Where The AUM Is -- And Where It Stops and Starts ... Nobody Knows ... and Yet What It Is ... Everybody Is, Now!

Kirtanman

Edited by - Kirtanman on Sep 28 2009 11:13:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  11:45:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kirtanman

Thanks for the post!

I have been pondering these experiences over the weekend here, and I have come to think that if I hadn't realized I was dreaming at the moment I was about to "jump fly", I think I would have been able to do it.

I think that if I can "jump fly" in my dreams, and life is but a dream, then why would I not have been able to "jump fly" while I was "awake-dreaming"? The only thing holding me back from doing things I think I can't do while awake, is thinking that I can't do these things while awake! It would have been interesting if I hadn't "woken up" right when I did.....it would have been really neat to have been in that "waking dream state" and have tried to fly.....I think I would have been able to do it.

What do you think? If you are awake but can't tell the difference between awake and dreaming, do you think you can do all the things you could normally do in a dream with no regards for 3 Dimensional limitations?

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  12:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Kirtanman

Thanks for the post!

I have been pondering these experiences over the weekend here, and I have come to think that if I hadn't realized I was dreaming at the moment I was about to "jump fly", I think Iwould have been able to do it.

I think that if I can "jump fly" in my dreams, and life is but a dream, then why would I not have been able to "jump fly" while I was "awake-dreaming"? The only thing holding me back from doing things I think I can't do while awake, is thinking that I can't do these things while awake! It would have been interesting if I hadn't "woken up" right when I did.....it would have been really neat to have been in that "waking dream state" and have tried to fly.....I think I would have been able to do it.

What do you think? If you are awake but can't tell the difference between awake and dreaming, do you think you can do all the things you could normally do in a dream with no regards for 3 Dimensional limitations?

Love,
Carson

Ya know .... I actually don't know.

I used to consider things like this, sometime back ... but they fell along the wayside, somewhere.

I consider myself *very* much the beneficiary of grace, in the sense that I "caught the wind" several years ago that the *only* important focus on the spiritual path ("quote unquote") is realization itself; anything else will be resolved or forgotten or utilized, consciously, once realization is re-solved.

Please Remember: *Every* spiritual tradition which cites the attainment of siddhis (such as "flying through the air") lists them as *obstacles* - as problems - as *obstructions* on the path to realizing true nature.

Why?

Because they keep the sense of "separate self" in place.

I figure (or, or more accurately, non-figure) .... if mind/energies can be used for something like "flying" in the apparent waking state .... they can be used for something infinitely more powerful, useful and enjoyable:

*Loving*.

Yes, Really.

Not only is Loving the greatest power in the Universe; it's the only power.

Swami Lakshmanjoo has a beautiful way of articulating true spiritual power: if it uplifts all, it's a genuine power, a genuine siddhi -- if it only benefits one, or a few (such as gurus who tell people of their "future", or of passing an exam) ... that's illusory; that's limited.

And, plus ... we each have our own sets of qualities and innate talents.

There are beings on the physical plane that inherently enjoy the siddhi of flight ... yes ... in the physical realm.

If you focus your attention/intention just right .... you can actually see them.

You may have heard of them.

They're called "birds".

Off to enjoy the siddhi of "lunch" .....

Heart Is Where The AUM Is,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  12:44:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hahahaha.....birds

Just to clarify, I have no desire to start trying to fly.....I was just curious as to whether or not others thought that the only obstacles in physical reality are "thought-obstacles". I'm not trying to cultivate siddhis at all, let alone specific siddhis....I am more then content to just BE. Just thought it would be interesting to know if anyone out there had walked through a wall or something because they thought they were dreaming

Love,
Carson

Go to Top of Page

littlejerry

USA
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  5:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit littlejerry's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
check out Chuang Tzu's story "To be or not to be, a butterfly"... thats what its called in this book i have anyway the translation might be different in different books but yeah... butterly... and Chuang Tzu. Its short.
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  9:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kirtan, your response reminded me of something swami rama's master said to a disciple
Disciple: look master I can make fire come from my fingertips?
guru: how long did it take you to learn that?
disciple: 13 years
Guru: why be happy over something that took thirteen years to produce fire? I can get matches in ten seconds
I saw some of those flying birds today, floating on the breeze.

brother C, if you ever get to hoppin along the bunny trail by leaps and bounds, stop by florida

later guys
brother Neil
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  09:06:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think a little bit agitated by the "testing" information on someones post. I am prone to argumentation and defense. Without seeing the whole forum of postings and without the "eagle-view" my feathers are ruffled.

Once again, I am not interested in siddhis. One seems to show up.only when I seem to be looking at it.it appears as a charged sexual connection with not just myself, with the intensity varying. Maybe it is my age, ovulation and related to thoughts I think and the stories in my life maybe more but I cannot see them or conscious of them. My best metaphor is like spending years taking a bath in plumbing that works well. Not even disturbed by a load of clothes being washed in the machine at the same time. Then moving to a new location and noticing the plumbing is slow and is affected by toilet getting flushed or by a cycle of washing clothes.The people existing with the slow plumbing have no real comparison-for that is what they have been experiencing, and then now I begin to live here and it is a must to get a plumber here to check or adjust pressure.

I realize this forum appears to be people who have been on the yoga path or spiritual path for years. Who ever is Yogani and ultimately anyone else on this board including Osho concerns me.
I don't have a practice. Now I walk daily a few miles, and I like that very much in the woods.Possibly toying with the idea of getting a gun and target practicing. along with a permit for a concealed weapon. I enjoy shooting a .22 rifle at empty cans and grew up with a bb gun. I like good aim. Also I am a bit nervous and scared of owning a handgun but like the idea of target practice.however the flip side is that it is a device that can kill myself or others.I hike alone and carrying a knife and tear gas may not be substantial enough to defend myself. I would like to walk in peace.

I have admitted that I made numerous mistakes. Before I get re- glued to the forums again after being away from the computer for weeks, you can tell me OFF straight OUT or ask ME to leave.

Does anyone know why it is healthier to eat goats cheese/milk than that of a cow?

I rest assure that we play on opposite sides of the fence but we are on the same team.love

I have wanted a teacher in my presence(like in the same room with their physical body. Like showing up for class whether it is something like pilates or satsang. I dug a large hole at one forum, don't write poetry at another one and don't really practise good healthy living. I have wanted a friend and got one-but separated or not..communication seems difficult next to impossible.

I know this has nothing to do with this topic---
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  09:25:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
early this morning I dreamed of my mom and sisters dog Annie Pots. She is a mini dachshund that is black and tan. In the dream she swallowed a big huge hunk of chicken with bones and all, without chewing it. I was so concerned and worried that she could not breath.And I was pressing on her abdomen to help her.In waking life, she is a begger dog when people are eating, and gets treats of people food. I am an all or none person and my mother and sister are food givers based on their moods.

I like having a pet around. They are usually unconditional love and happy to see you.

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  10:09:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,

quote:
Hi Kirtanman

Thanks for the post!

I have been pondering these experiences over the weekend here, and I have come to think that if I hadn't realized I was dreaming at the moment I was about to "jump fly", I think I would have been able to do it.

Love,
Carson

Here is a good video showing you how it is done. It was reported on a Tamil News Channel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKSTqsUKWc8

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Sep 29 2009 10:21:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  10:22:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi.....

Thanks for sharing....I don't have a way to watch youtube videos still though....blocked at work and my only home computer now is my OS9.2.2 Mac (used for audio recording) which doesn't work with many websites....I fried most of the other electronics in my house, including my PC laptop. Is the video above available on google.video? For whatever reason that isn't blocked here at work. Would love to see this.

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Sep 29 2009 10:25:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  10:29:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,

Just for you...

http://video.google.com/videosearch...oq=flying+y#

It's the one called: Miracle of Yogis, flying siddha at Thiruvanamali.

I hope you get to see it before your boss disables Google videos too!

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Sep 29 2009 10:32:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  10:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hahaha....thanks Christi! If only it was as simple as just my boss disabling things....that I could work my way around....but I work for GE Transportation, which is part of GE Corp, and we are all connected to the same server system, which as I bet you can guess is ultra secure. They use a "SmartFilter" and a "BlueCoat" system which is impossible to get around (that I can figure out anyways). I HAVE managed to keep AYP running by using a technique with the tabbed browser version of Internet Explorer (they tried to shut me down once already) that they haven't figured out yet, but it's probably only a matter of time. Thanks again, gonna watch it now.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  10:41:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi.....

Unfortunately you linked to a youtube posted video through google....still can't see it. Saw one below it though that was funny....
http://video.google.com/videosearch...oq=flying+y#

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  10:49:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,

Oh well, maybe you are just destined to be earthbound for a little longer.
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  9:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sage

Does anyone know why it is healthier to eat goats cheese/milk than that of a cow?

a number of people say because the size of the goat is closer to that of a human body
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  9:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sage

I am an all or none person

seems to be a label you may have given yourself. IF you dig deeper you may find that you are not that.
My best to you sage
sometimes all, sometimes nothing, sometimes in between, sometimes more left, sometimes more right........
brother Neil
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000