Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Difficulty taking a full breath
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

macarius

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  08:57:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit macarius's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Friends, has anyone else had the experience of being unable to draw in a full breath during Pranayama? Maybe this is just part of the clunky stage (only been practicing for about 1 month), but during a 10 minute session, I can maybe get 3 full inhalations. The rest are constricted somewhere in the area beginning right above the chest. I breathe deeply from the belly and then lift the collarbones for the last part, but I still feel as though I'm not getting that full inhalation. Also, compared to my exhalations, my inhalations are much shorter. Regardless of how long they are taking, should I attempt to make inhale and exhale last roughly the same amount of time?

christiane

Lebanon
319 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  11:54:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit christiane's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Macarius :)

I always had the same problem (since my childhood)
To me, it's clearly a problem in the heart chakra.
Whenever I face tough emotions, I have great difficulty
in breathing in fully..
Don't stress too much about it, coz it doesn't help!
Maybe try some alternate nostril breathing or heart breathing (I found those helpful)..
Also you can inhale rose or ylang ylang essential oil: it is particularily helpful for opening the breath fully..
Sure you will get other advises..
Meanwhile I hope the above helps a little.

Love
Go to Top of Page

macarius

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  12:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit macarius's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christiane thank you so much for the advice! I'll be getting some oil soon.
m
Go to Top of Page

christiane

Lebanon
319 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  1:19:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit christiane's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by macarius

Christiane thank you so much for the advice! I'll be getting some oil soon.
m

you're welcome!
I've just remembered a simple exercise now; it could help too.
Simply sit cross-legged, hands laying in your lap or your thighs, relaxed.. spine erect, eyes closed.
start breathing in from THE NOSE very slowly and count 7 times.(no worry if the breath is not full, just relax and breathe comfortably until 7)
Then start breathing out from THE MOUTH (as if uttering "fffff")
and count 8.
This is 1 cycle. Do 4 cycles. Not more. And you can do this simple exercise many times during the day (3-4 times maybe)..

It helps releasing the blockages especially in the heart area.

_/\_
Go to Top of Page

macarius

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  1:24:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit macarius's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic. Christiane thank you, you rule. May I ask how long you've been using the AYP practices?
Go to Top of Page

christiane

Lebanon
319 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  02:13:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit christiane's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by macarius

Fantastic. Christiane thank you, you rule. May I ask how long you've been using the AYP practices?

I'm not a regular AYP practitionner but I've been practicing other techniques (shambhavi maha mudra kriya and shakti chalana kriya) for about 5 years.
Those techniques include elements found in AYP lessons (mudras and bandhas).
I was missing the meditation aspect that's why I was interested to include AYP deep meditation technique, but still not on a daily basis.

_/\_
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2009 :  2:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Regardless of how long they are taking, should I attempt to make inhale and exhale last roughly the same amount of time?

Hi macarius,

absolutely not. It is very natural for exhalation to be longer. Relax, the best starting point is your natural, uninfluenced breath. Observe it, take your time... How is it? Smooth, shaky, long, short, deep, shallow, broken, effortless.... All these are good... Watch your breath, it is giving you important messages about you.
Here and there you can try to make your breath more perfect. Maybe see if you can soften it sometimes, other times it might feel nice to prolong it gradually. When you find an area somewhere, where the breathing movements are not observable, and you feel or know that the breath should reach even there (like upper chest, collarbones), you can try to expand the breathing movements to that area. Use imagination, gentle persuasion and periodicity.

This is a nice resource on pranayama.

Take care,
Roman
Go to Top of Page

macarius

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  08:58:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit macarius's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Roman, thank you so much! I'm glad to hear that exhalations are normally longer, as that is certainly the case with me. Thanks for the excellent site as well.
m
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  6:22:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are very welcome, Macarius. And yes, of course, welcome to the forums!
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  8:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
sometimes I breath while laying down, in shivasana.not tracing the spine, just deep breathing. First I start by breathing in to the count of 10 and out to the same count, however if you breath in to ten and out to say 15 or 20. that may be best for you. As I relax deeper I gradually increase the count on the in breath, sometimes up to 20 or so. You may start out breathing in to the count of 5, whatever is best for you
with love
Brother neil
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000