Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Classic Yoga Scriptures
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  08:45:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi there,

I recently started a two-year course on yoga therapy on the university here, and during the first seminar with Yogacharia Mukund V. Bhole we've been shown a couple of editions of

HathaPradipika, Gheranda Samhita and Patanjali's Yoga Sutras

the particular authors of which I didn't notice exactly.

So now I'm supposed to complement my library with some good quality editions of these works.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  09:40:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't get the brian atkers edition of HYP- i did'nt like it. and the sanskrit- i can't read sanskrit.

And i would'nt buy Satchidanndas YSP. A pop-culture commentary i felt,a bubble-gum reading.(decline to read)

I got these two, the only translations i have. dissapointed. there are better ones out there, i'm pretty sure.I would'nt waste your money.

I've heard this recommended The Science of Yoga by I.K. Taimni - a commentary on YSP.

And I've encountered a digital format of Hans Ulrich's HYP -i liked it even though it's written by a German-See Here

Edited by - Akasha on Sep 23 2009 09:49:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  12:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"How to Know God" by swami prahbhavananda and Christopher Isherwood (Patanjali)

HYP by the Bihar School of Yoga

I have the Ulrich HYP in book form. It isn't too bad but i wouldn't recommend it much.

One of the best commentaries i have found on Patanjali is by Swami Hariharananda Arunya.

And Swami Vivekananda's commentary of Patanjali is also good.
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  1:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Roman,

I have found recently a commentary on the Patanjali Yoga Sutras by Lahiri Mahasaya- maybe you'll like it, I read a bit and found it very clear.

It's in the "library" section here-
http://www.yoganiketan.net/

Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  4:57:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Kriya yoga sutras of patanjali and the siddhas".By Marshall Govindan.

I liked it.I think its a very good study.

Edited by - miguel on Sep 23 2009 4:58:52 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000