Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Split tongue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  6:21:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
If you look on youtube, there are a ton of videos of forked tongues.

There were even more videos, but think that youtube took them down...

Interestingly the FAQs on tongue splitting mention kechari mudra, and I have also read that most people who have gotten their tongues split had a spiritual experience.

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  12:38:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/T..._FAQ#History
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  1:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alwayson:

Well, it all depends on where one hails from. Around these parts, this is self-mutilation inspired by an extremist view. Of course, just about anything can be considered extremist, depending on the perspective of the observer.

Suffice to say that tongue splitting is not recommended in AYP. You knew that already, right? I just wanted to make sure that anyone else who looks at this topic will know it.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  1:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am trying to figure out if this is a real historic practice in India as is claimed in the link above. I don't recall it being in James Mallinson's khecharividya book.

I emailed a known academic author.

Hopefully I get a response.

Edited by - alwayson2 on Sep 21 2009 1:16:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  1:18:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by alwayson2

I am trying to figure out if this is a real historic practice in India. I don't recall it being in James Mallinson's khecharividya book.

I emailed a known academic author.

Hopefully I get a response.

Yes, it is, but that has no bearing on what we are doing here, any more than holding your arm straight up in the air 24 hours per day for 40 years would be. It too is a "real historic practice." That does not make it useful for a community of practitioners.

For most, these are only attention-getters, obtained at a high cost.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  2:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well from a practical point of view, you could close both nostrils from the inside.

Thus an "internal" Yoni mudra kumbhaka

Edited by - alwayson2 on Sep 21 2009 2:27:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  5:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You dont need this. Work w ur current set and you wont care abt specific mudras bandhas; ur mind is the mudra

Edited by - Konchok Ösel Dorje on Sep 21 2009 5:24:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  8:34:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I looked into this at one time and actually know two people who have split their tongues. I also have been practicing kechari daily stage 3 for about 5 years now so this is my opinion:
First of all I don't see a benefit to closing off both nostrils at once by technique of the tongue. The apparent stoppage of the breath during meditation comes from deepening refinement and silence in the nervous system rather than by force of effort during . During pranayama the breath is sealed in the throat not the inner nostrils and even if it were desirable to seal the inner nostrils it would be easy enough in kechari. That said, my opinion is that if stage 3 and 4 kechari is easy for you and you practice like this every day for several years then it would be entirely up to you. Until then I would just consider it as something to show off or be "cool" with little value otherwise.Perhaps tickling the erectile tissue in the inner nostrils would feel pleasant but aside from that it would be considered a procedure that should really only be considered at the advanced level of advanced practice and my guess is that when you get there it will be irrelevent.
Now if you practice comfortably and easily in full kechari every day then I guess I don't have much more advice other than it is your choice. I considered it and did not choose to do it.
Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  09:17:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I heard back from the scholar, and he said tongue splitting is never described
Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  10:26:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
James Mallinson also told me that he never heard of tongue splitting in relation to yoga

Edited by - alwayson2 on Sep 22 2009 10:27:59 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000