Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Eckhart Tolle's presence and holding your breath
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  01:40:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone,

I was curious if anyone else has had this experience or has any ideas about what is happening here.

I've been reading and watching a lot of Eckhart Tolle's stuff recently as well as Adyashanti's. Both of them talk about being present much like many schools of Buddhism.

I've done several of the techniques they suggest with what I think are good results (great stillness), but I have also noticed that I tend to hold my breath. I don't do this consciously, it just seems to happen every time I go into the stillness. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Steve

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  10:53:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stevenbhow,
In the Vigyana Bhairava tantra, the first few sutras are for realizing the gap between the in breath and out breath.

Radiant One, this experience may dawn between two breaths.
After breath comes in (down)
and just before turning up (out) - the beneficence.

As breath turns from down to up,
and again as breath curves up to down -
through both these turns,
realize.

Or, whenever in-breath and out-breath fuse,
at this instant touch the energy-less,
energy-filled center.

It has been discussed a bit more here.

This gap is the stillness you are experiencing when you are in the present moment, and in the beginning it is easier to stay here at the point between in breath and out breath. Once you cultivate more and more silence through meditation, you can stay in this place while you breath too.
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  11:44:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Steve maybe it's like when during IAM meditation the breath slows down and sometimes stops.. When you go to stillness, then the breath can stop by itself sometimes.. (called kevala kumbhaka?)

Shanti since you posted this then I want to share exprience that I had.. I go to a soto zen sangha each Sunday, so at one time the teacher instructed us to pay attention to the breathing, putting more emphasis on noticing the gaps between the in-breath and out-breath. It was so amazing, that day I continued to practice noticing the gaps between my breaths, and the gaps suddenly seemed to be also between sensations and sounds.. Then it was perceived also when the sounds and sensations were going on..

It was too much so I stopped doing it. But I believe it can be a really potent practice.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  3:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Yonatan

It was so amazing, that day I continued to practice noticing the gaps between my breaths, and the gaps suddenly seemed to be also between sensations and sounds.. Then it was perceived also when the sounds and sensations were going on..

It was too much so I stopped doing it. But I believe it can be a really potent practice.

Yes, there is a gap between everything.. we have talked about it in that topic I posted above. The thing is, most of us, when not doing any meditation are very caught up in mind and miss the gaps.. hence to us life is one long shaft.. but the shaft is made up of many many gaps and when we meditate for a while and slow down our thinking minds, we can actually catch the gaps, and then the gaps get longer.. and then we become the gap.. its like..
mind the gap..
gap the mind..
be the gap.
The Vigyana Bhairava tantra actually give you 112 techniques to catch this gap.

You are right about it being a very powerful practice Yonatan.. self pacing is important. It takes some time to catch this gap, and many may not know what you are talking about, so if you have had the blessing of experiencing this, and do feel drawn to it, do practice it for a few mins each day. If you are not drawn to it tho, its OK, you will know when its time.

Thank you for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  7:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Thanks so much for the advice and stories. That sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. Also, interesting Yonatan about the Soto Zen. I made an appointment yesterday to practice zazen at a local Soto Zen temple here in Nagoya, Japan where I live.
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  02:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by stevenbhow

Wow! Thanks so much for the advice and stories. That sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. Also, interesting Yonatan about the Soto Zen. I made an appointment yesterday to practice zazen at a local Soto Zen temple here in Nagoya, Japan where I live.

Ha...

Enjoy :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000