Yoga and Relationships
 I'm worried that my sister is getting old
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  01:57:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Her b'day is hardly 2 weeks away and she will be 29. She is single and ain't getting any relationships. She lives with her parents who are always depressed about the fact she is single and getting old. Her face has gotten dark and pimpled over the years and she is upset about that. So I can't even encourage her to put a photo on an online matrimonial site so I know that idea will hurt her. She gets hurt by her parents' not happy with her and has gotten aggressive and thick-skinned and defensive about criticism over the years. No one in that house meditates. There is darkness and depression hovering about the 3 people living together. Although I don't consider myself to be a pure bliss-radiating person I hope my presence may.. may .. may.. atleast bring about some balance in there, as I'm a long-time meditator. So I'm travelling to their house to be with them for a few days, out of compassion.

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  02:07:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
First of all, 29 is young! When you get to be older you will see that.
But I think she needs to get away from her parents, and meditate!
Either of those will help, and I'm sure you will also.
If one finds passion for something in life that they can put their energy into they won't care so much about the opposite sex. And surprisingly, this passion for something else and stopping of worrying is quite attractive to the opposite sex.
It is the constant worrying (learned from her parents) that keeps relationships from happening!
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  02:22:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have tried several times to get her and the mom to meditate, I will again try. As though seeking respite from the stress and verbal abuse, she has become very sense-addicted, especially taste, always picking up fight with her mom that she is not cooking tastefully, and also finds pleasure in sleeping all day.

Edited by - Maximus on Aug 22 2009 03:46:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  03:57:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maximus,

I agree with Etherfish. 29 is young.. And also I think if she starts to meditate maybe it will help her and also your parents. Yoga opens people and relationships up..

Love and Light to you, your sister, and your parents
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  10:16:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Maximus

I have tried several times to get her and the mom to meditate, I will again try. As though seeking respite from the stress and verbal abuse, she has become very sense-addicted, especially taste, always picking up fight with her mom that she is not cooking tastefully, and also finds pleasure in sleeping all day.

You can't make people meditate if they don't want to.
Sleeping all day is a sign of someone who has no passion in life.
Yoga is not the answer for everyone until they are ready - she needs to find something in life to be interested in. Waiting for a man, or arguing with parents is not a good interest!
She needs something she loves to spend her time doing, that doesn't depend on others to get started.
I would talk with her about everything BUT men and her parents. Find out what subjects she is interested in, and try to encourage them.

For instance, if she is interested in helping poor people, go with her to someplace where you can volunteer. if she is interested in art, take her some place to encourage her to draw, or sculpture.
Maybe she likes animals, or plants, or computers. Just try to bring out things she could be interested in besides men and parents. She has enough of those subjects without trying.
Go to Top of Page

Lacinato

USA
98 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  8:24:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lacinato's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a conversation in this newsletter with Byron Katie, regarding someone's concerns with his sister. Not exactly the same situation, but similar:
http://www.byronkatie.com/newsletter_au09.html

I'm surprised there is an expectation that she will marry; it must be a cultural difference. And if she wants to, there is still plenty of time.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  9:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
She needs to move out of there.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000