AYPsite.org Forum
 Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 The Crown & The Sensory-Motor Cortex
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  10:39:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
The crown,it's neurobiology, and the sensory-motor cortex.

Can anyone shed any light on this area?

I studied/used to practice a neuro-muscular discipline called Hanna Somatics invented by one Thomas Hanna based on his ground breaking book 'Somatics', after giving up on asana after a premature ( not sponataneous)K. awakening some 2.5 years ago(Nov 25th ,2006) before arriving at AYP .

I have read in the lessons the Crown located as the corona radiata

Right at the top of this are located two strips, sensory and then motor, that cross the middle of the crown from ear to ear, one in front of the other,right at the apex.

Here is a diagram of Sensory & Motor parts You can toggle on that site between 'Beginners' and 'Advanced','level of explanation' box, to get a primer on the different brain area roles, but you'll see that the Red band is Primary Motor.And there are other motor areas in Blue forward of that(e.g supplementary & pre-motor,i.e planning movments etc). But the Sensory strip coming first is marked there in Green ( in the front of the parietal lobe,named there as somato-sensory) and then the Primary Motor in red(at the back of the frontal lobe).

In hanna somatics tight muscles and poor sensory awareness are inextricably linked. So it is said in Hanna Somatics that someone with tight muscles has poor sensory awareness of them, and so therefore poor control also. Abnormally high muscle tonus is the result of a brain that has'nt woken up;brain-level reflexes in the involuntary(voluntary) cortex . So this discipline aims to wake up those parts of the sensory-motor cortex that lie dormant (achevied through a series of special excercises done in slow motion with a heightened state of sensory awareness.

There is alot of talk here of neurobiology which is why AYP was like music to my ears when first read the lesson here.

I hypothesize in a way in the context of premature awakenings ( not spontaneous) as i practices yoga intensively for about 11 months) that my sensory-motor cortex went int oa kind of meltdown, and sezied up to protect the body. Also i had one terrible coughing fit, like i coughed for a month.I had this irritation at the epiglottis that propmte me to cough contunually. I thought at the time it might have been asbestos in my loft( as i left an iar purifier on while a loft door was open) but now i believe it could have been the result of major neurophysioligcal disturbance from the awakening, and another symptom & imbalances in the body.

In Hanna Somatics they call it sensory-motor amnesia(often abbreviated SMA).Dr. Hanna who studied neurology & medicine was a bit of intellectual who believed in the concept of indivdual freedom.A professor of Philosophy at Berkeley and direcor of the graduate philopshy dprogram at the University of Florida, his wife Eleanor Criswell-Hanna also a yoga teacher, wrote a book called 'Somatic Yoga'
( can't say that really rubbed off on me though as an integrated practice)

Anyway Hanna would say' If you can feel it,sense it, then you can change it'. By cultivating sensory awareness of the body you change the nervous system.This is basically biodfeedbakc traning ( without machines ),using your somatic awareness.------Muscle-brain-brain-muscle ,like a loop.The premise is quite simle really-Brain moves muscles which move bone You can read more here, if you like-http://www.somatics.com/ ,need to know more.

This site goes someway to explaining how the man, Thomas Hanna,ticked, what his core beliefs & pre-occupations were.

The only thing missng from his view of Man/matter/Conciousness/Self was from a yoga perespective quite a bit. There is no subtle body,or mention of karma( causal body) - though he did live his life in academia, but his map is kind of inadequate. Having tried AYP. Hana Somatics does'nt for examplpe does'nt adress your ego but AYP does(or tries to). That is just one exapmple. There is always the feeling material sceince is missing it's links,- the spirtual and moral aspects of man are never integrated.

Anyway when we work on the crown it's quite possible we working on the sensory-motor cortex and various other subtler conceptions or anlagues of it in a more wholesale way while with HS we tend to be just working with major neural connections/synapses.We have all experienced the firing, like little worms, or even mini-frieworks going off in the brain.(least that's what i get)

I now know the third eye covers the brain--stem, the central part arsinig from the spinal cord-pineal gland etc and the front end ( our sense of space ,planning, visions etc)

But i was wondering if anyone has any information in this area. I hear the term 'neuro-spiritual science' i think banded about. I think Thomas Hanna should have tried AYP out for himself although he dies in an accident in 1991. Would have been intersting what he would have made of it. he was heavily influenced by Moshe feldenkrasi and the Somatic tradtion of healing healing body/mind through adressing the split typically found in scientifc healing modalities.I wonder what he would have made of AYP- i'm surpirsed he did'nt discover tools like this (maybe he did) becuase he was a yoga/asana teacher who taught on football pitches, and his wife also, but i believe he was more of the intellectual ,the philosopher rather than the mystic.

Hope this makes sense.But this is what i was doing for a year before AYP- it looks like i've dfound my way now.

So A Heartfelt Thankyou Yogani!

I know the crown is probably more than the sensory-motor cortex, it is the subtle and the gross and yet still subtler and so on, and that the brain is one homgenous integrated whole, the sum being greatere than the parts.For exapmle-The autonomic is involved with breating for example and probably liases with other areas in unison.(this is all under the hood stuff, i know). But does anyone experience akind of sensory-motor wholness with a crown-awakening, that kind that amplifies sensory perception, internal and external, and makes one feel very well well put toegether?

What are the relationships if any between these elments of the jigsaw puzzle that is our human brain and nervous system, in particular those referenced ?

Love,

Akasha

Edited by - Akasha on Aug 18 2009 11:38:46 AM

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  12:16:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I really like this topic.....

Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  12:35:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

From a spiritual viewpoint,

Controlling brain activity in myself and others

The crown activity depends alot on spiritual formulae (mantras)

bringing or increasing neural activity to a heightened point (power Up)

The whole breath control thing kicks in......

ultimate silence of heart everything

combination of mudras........direct projection of sufficient light energy.........on myself and others

Ultimate connection with the angels,almighty.......

The other person's body must be in a receptive state....this is done before actual energy transfer......

Most spiritual transformations is really a whole rewiring of the neural brain program.....this takes alot of physical,spiritual energy

The end result....

HEADACHES, INCREASED thirst......etc

I really love this topic.....

The parts of the brain that controls the senses.......have a far greater function......

Mastery over this overwhelm those persons with SIDDhis
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  12:08:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Controlling brain activity in myself and others

The crown activity depends alot on spiritual formulae (mantras)

bringing or increasing neural activity to a heightened point (power Up)

The whole breath control thing kicks in......

ultimate silence of heart everything

Thanks for your feedback.

quote:
Most spiritual transformations is really a whole rewiring of the neural brain program.....this takes alot of physical,spiritual energy

What actually goes on under the hood/crown is a subject that interests me too.My hunch is that the sensory-motor cortex is re-wired ,when the crown activates, to a more harmonious state, amongst other things.And now possibly explained what occurred in nov,06, 11 months after beginning this yoga "journey"(jan,06) with fairly intensive practice. My SMC possibly went into a kind of meltdown, as my practices were somewhat over-agressive,, using all the bandhas and the breath and dharana,and i did'nt have the tools available here to possibly be able to seek to remedy and re-balance it( had i DM possibly,then, it could have been used to stabilize the changes that occurred,but it was too much too swiftly- when the uddiyhana bandha and ujjayii began kicking in on automatic those last couple of months i just went along with it. in hindsight ,possibly(?), but instead the nervous system would not accept, it was too much in a One'r.There was a harmonious re-wiring, and then i returned to my usual somewhat agressive practice and what follwoed was a disorder ,or disorientation, of the nervous system).I increaasingly believe very much in cause and effect yoga( as wellas some grace perhaps)- it's what you do that matters largely most of the time. But it was and still is a powerful lesson.I don't think i knew what i was playing with or even could have predicted the backswing, if you like.I think self-pacing i one of those things that can creep up on you and then, ooops- what have i done now?

Thankyou.

Edited by - Akasha on Aug 18 2009 1:01:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  12:50:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Personnally at some point in my life I wished I could have moved backwards.........

I have to move forward by force now

Specific rewiring of the brain involves alot of work....enough to bring me to my knees

As an active member of the Ashram.... once upon a time.....

we had alot of severe cases....

Lots of heart patients

Mental patients

Abused people...from kids go up

Diseased etc

I was never about me at that point in time.....it was about me attending Ashram and finding the fastest route home after Satsung......

Really serious stuff occured here and I was conscious(unfortunately) throughout it all....

The angels are actually there....

Every phase of rewiring has a specific stage.....all levels result in eventual healing......

To actually know what a person is experiencing you have to become them

I call it mind MORPH(excuse me if I sound silly here)
thats how you know what ailing them....and then start fixing (?) from here.

You actually use the persons own kundalini to heal themselves and then transfer the garbage out.....

U access them from the crown or top of head....

SHAkti is raised and the mind transformation begins.......

I am still trying to control myself......thanks to you I am forced to study the parts of the brain........

hopefully I can give educated explanations.....and not just spiritual
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000