Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 ayp deep meditation and other "outside" practices
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bindu

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  11:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all

just had a quick question, I was wondering if it is ok to practice ayp deep meditation (ayam mantra) while practicing other mediation or energey practices on the same day?

in my specific case i practice ayp deep meditation (20 min 2x a day), a basic kind of chigung (1 hr per day), sexual practice that involves a mantra 20 min once every other or 3 days, and also buddhist watching the breath meditation at times.

my question is what practices can I NOT practice while doing ayp deep meditation??

are there any contraindications??

thank you

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  11:11:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Any energy practices which lead to a lot of energy flow or intake causing deep cleansing are a contraindication.In other words don't overdo your practices unless you are prepared to face the cleansing that follows.Classic example is ones who have a Reiki attunement and continue to take attunements from others while still cleansing. This leads to overload and blocked energy systems.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

bindu

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  2:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
so is it ok to do a form of chigung that does involve some cleaning out of channels with deep meditation or is it not such a good idea?
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  3:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi bindu,

I am not big into energy practices and only started meditating over a year now but it seems to me that, if you meditate effectively, you will be cultivating inner silence, i.e. your true inner nature, which is stillness.

Naturally, energy will flow from that and, in my understanding, all the physical postures and exercises (even breathing exercises) are used as aids to facilitate a natural process that will occurr naturally anyway. So what I say is that first meditation, then energy practices. It seems you started the other way around, but I guess you can amp down your energy practices and introduce meditation and see what happens. If there is overload I'd say stick to just mediattion for a while and see what happens. But this is just my advice of course!

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  6:11:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bindu

so is it ok to do a form of chigung that does involve some cleaning out of channels with deep meditation or is it not such a good idea?

Hi Bindu,
I am not aware of what chigung is, but I am assuming they are energy practices. So yes, adding deep meditation is a good idea... to balance the energy. However since most here have not worked with this combination, we cannot tell you how long a practice of chigung and how long a practice of deep meditation will be safe and effective. You will have to experiment with this a bit. We do not recommend more than 20 min meditation at a time, and no more than two sessions per day. So don't go over that. But you may need to cut back on meditation time or chigung time depending on how smoothly you are progressing. Keep an eye out for overload symptoms. Overload symptoms can include, automatic movements, sleeplessness, irritability, too much anger or emotions, excessive tiredness, feeling light headed or heavy headed or feel excessive pressure in your head or foggy headed. There are many more.. so if you feel discomfort during the day, then you will need to start cutting back on practices (what we call self pacing), and adjust practice times so that the rest of you day is smooth.
Read some of these for better idea on overloads and how to deal with them: http://www.aypsite.org/69.html, http://www.aypsite.org/38.html, http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1224, http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=1222.

Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

atena

113 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  04:18:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit atena's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What is the name of the qiqong form?
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  10:14:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  10:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bindu....

You might want to contact the forum member "Scott"....I know he practice(d/s) qigong and I believe was combining it with AYP (not sure exactly how though) at least for a while. I believe he ran into some issues though.....I have just sent him an email and asked him if he minds contributing to this conversation.

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Jul 30 2009 10:22:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  12:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the heads up, Carson.

I didn't practice qigong at the same time as AYP. However, I think some qigong practices would go very well with AYP...such as primordial qigong!

Qigong is usually grounding, but I suppose sometimes it might not be...so it's important to know what kind you're practicing.

For the most part I think you can try things out on your own, and see the results for yourself. Just don't push it if you're getting bad results! And keep in mind that sometimes the results will have a "creeper" effect and you won't realize you've overdone it until it's too late.
Go to Top of Page

bindu

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  2:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ya chigung is basically pranayama that usually one does while standing,and is basically moving prana around. The particular type I do involves moving energy around mainly on the front side of the body, but also involves the back channels as well to a lesser extent.

The type I do is for improving health and is not really a practice for spiritual development. I dont know the name of it unfortunately, but it is a basic chigung. I am just looking for a type of meditation to do along with it safely. I am also considering trying buddhist type samatha. My main concern is that ayp meditation as it also changes energy flows could potentially interfere with this chigung.

I honestly dont like energy practices that much as I am naturally very high strung and they usually leave me feeling some tension. However this kind of chigung is really helping my health so i dont want to stop. Kind of a hard decision to make....to tell you the truth I am not sure if I should stop doing the chigung because in the long run i assume this tension could lead to blockages and other problems.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000