Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 ujjayi
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  10:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

Can anybody please explain to me how to do ujjayi? I do not know how to partially close my epiglottis or the hissing sound it produces.

thanks,
nirmal

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  11:01:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  12:29:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
See if this video helps.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2351136_h...h-sound.html

You breath in, then when you are breathing out close the top back your throat a bit, like as tho you are whispering the sound of 'haaaa' in the throat with your mouth closed.
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  05:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi nirmal,

have a look at Mark Giubarelli's web-site on pranayama. He provides very instructive descriptions, mp3's with the hissing sounds of ujjayi and many other pranayama techniques, also some videos...

Very good resource, I think. (Don't get scared, he's got a somewhat peculiar humor, but he's great.) Also his web-site on Asana is really great, if you are interested. Particularly his archive of high-quality sun-salutation - vinyassa flow videos is highly artistic and beautiful.

All the best

Edited by - mimirom on Jul 27 2009 07:08:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  5:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Try it with the mouth open first .Then with the mouth closed,breathing through the nostrils.Imagine you're steaming up a window pane or glass.Then do it with the mouth closed

I don't know if this helps but this video on ujjayi is how i was first introduced . Thereafter when i turned up at a studio , the instructor would say ' now let's return/tune-in to our ujjayi breath'( it was optional ) He talks about the bandhas here as well such as uddiyana and mulabandha. I think this video( which puts ujjayi in the context of ashtnanga vinyasa, not ayp) is the source of my confusion regarding whether to contract the anus, the perineum or both( though i think this is possibly addressed somewhat here in inL119 and here L 156) Siddhasana is, i reckon, used instead as well as perineum-to-brow to stimulate the root/perineum & activate the circuit.I know i've gone off topic but in ayp i believe the perineum gets enough activation through these two other practices so actual contraction is not explicitly stated from what i've digested and read in the lessons so far.

That website minirom^provides , pranayama.net is an excellent resource on pranayama with it's guided audio instruction on most pranayamas, quite impressive.

In the context of ayp SbP ujayi is only employed during the exhale.The Green book suggests this is better as a long-term practice plus also allows full expansion of the diaphragm and lungs. You wil notice mild stimulation at the brain stem/centre( it almost feel like a yawn with pleasant sensations felt there)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000