AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Kundalini and Vichara
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vicha

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  09:47:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit vicha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been doing Vichara, as taught by Sri Nisargadatta for the past two years, and recently experienced vibrations in the chest rising to the head. Since then it has occured between 6-8 times. The recent ones are only experienced in the head. they last for about a minute or less.

I have never done any practices to awaken the Kundalini, so this was unexpected.

Anyone experiened this?

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  11:03:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Vicha:

Thanks for writing and sharing.

Actually, your "kundalini" symptoms are a sign that your self-inquiry sadhana is working, producing some inner purification and opening. Where it happens in the body will depend on your unique pattern of inner obstructions. It is a natural process that will evolve according to its own inner dynamic. The symptoms are a sign of energy producing "friction" when passing through and purifying the subtle neurobiology. In time it will smooth out. In the meantime, make sure to self-pace your practice and get plenty of "grounding activity" to stabilize the process for progress with comfort. Additional information on managing kundalini symptoms can be found here: http://www.aypsite.org/69.html

A careful reading of Nisargadatta's "I Am That" reveals that he has all the elements of yoga in there, including bhakti, meditation, and energy (kundalini) experiences. Much of this has been minimized for consistency with a "pure advaita" approach. Yet, the first things he often asked new visitors to his satsangs were, "What is your sadhana?" and "What is your experience?" He himself ran meditation classes and bhajans when not waxing eloquent on advaita. So let's not over-simplify the teachings of Nisargadatta, even though advaita (non-duality) may seem to demand it. In truth, Nisargadatta is quite consistent with AYP. It is only a matter of what is being emphasized when. It is good to put things in a logical order to avoid unnecessary confusion.

No matter what the path or approach, the inner processes will be essentially the same. All effective systems of practice are working with the same human nervous system.

You might find the writings of American teacher Adyashanti helpful. He is zen/inquiry/advaita, has a strong affinity with Nisargadatta, and teaches in a modern down to earth way. His latest book, "The End of Your World" has many helpful chapters in it for those who are experiencing degrees of non-duality, including one on the "energetic component of awakening" (kundalini).

Also see this AYP online lesson on "non-duality and ecstatic kundalini": http://www.aypsite.org/331.html

From the AYP point of view, kundalini, or ecstatic conductivity and radiance, provides the vehicle for stillness to "move" outward into a full expression of unity - outpouring divine love - which is the fulfillment of "I am That" in all aspects of everyday living. The application of self-inquiry in AYP is covered in the Self-Inquiry book, which can be a helpful complement to any approach to self-inquiry.

Carry on, and all the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

chinna

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  5:45:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit chinna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by vicha

I have been doing Vichara, as taught by Sri Nisargadatta for the past two years, and recently experienced vibrations in the chest rising to the head. Since then it has occured between 6-8 times. The recent ones are only experienced in the head. they last for about a minute or less.

I have never done any practices to awaken the Kundalini, so this was unexpected.

Anyone experiened this?

My experience was coming to Nisargadatta after major kundalini awakening, and finding that his clarity and vigour helped enormously in finding a way through. I was also as a practising Catholic established in lifelong practices of devotion, singing, meditation, liturgy, service, peace-making and community-building and the rest. I agree with Yogani, it's important not to remove atma-vichara from the stream of life. The awakened kundalini is balanced by a whole-life approach. When I have found myself getting unbalanced, feeling a bit anxious about kundalini effects, it is invariably because my life has lost its balance.

chinna
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000